Vivofit - Useful or Gimmick?

Options
13»

Replies

• Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a vivofit for christmas, and now I can't wait and am super happy with my choice!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I was skeptical to start with and only got it because I love gadgets and wanted to reward myself for reaching target weight. But.. I really, really love my Vivofit and I love my HRM too. I use the HRM for any exercise which uses a bit of exertion, so for brisk walking, I don't bother, but stationary bike, running etc. I do.

I found the lack of charging, the fact I can wear it in the pool, the watch, the red bars AND the fact that it helped me figure out the correct activity setting in MFP were all invaluable. Occasionally it doesn't sync with MFP, but even that doesn't usually bother me.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit. I've had a Jawbone Up. Quit using each of them after a few months. I use my Garmin Forerunner when I run and a Polar HRM when I'm doing other forms of exercise. These both seemed redundant. Would the Vivofit replace the other things?
  • version45
    version45 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Aaahgh. Should have waited a day to buy this sucker. Now it's only $69 online. Happens to me everytime!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin Forerunner when I run and a Polar HRM when I'm doing other forms of exercise. These both seemed redundant. Would the Vivofit replace the other things?
    Maybe? It depends. I'd say the Vivofit probably would replace your Polar HRM for "other forms of exercise" but it won't provide the running metrics your Forerunner does, assuming it's one of the nicer ones with GPS, etc. I guess I'd wonder why you bother with the Polar and not just use the Forerunner for everything? I have a Forerunner FR60 that's basically a running watch but works great for gym, exercise bike, etc.

• rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    I use my Garmin Forerunner when I run and a Polar HRM when I'm doing other forms of exercise. These both seemed redundant. Would the Vivofit replace the other things?
    Maybe? It depends. I'd say the Vivofit probably would replace your Polar HRM for "other forms of exercise" but it won't provide the running metrics your Forerunner does, assuming it's one of the nicer ones with GPS, etc. I guess I'd wonder why you bother with the Polar and not just use the Forerunner for everything? I have a Forerunner FR60 that's basically a running watch but works great for gym, exercise bike, etc.

Hm. I guess I never thought about it. I got my first Garmin years ago when the 305 was brand new, I never thought to use the Garmins for non-running... I'll have to give that a whirl and see how it compares. It would be nice not to drag both with me when I travel.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Depends on you really. I love having the reminder on my wrist and I love tracking what I do in a day. If you don't see value in that, you won't enjoy having the device.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I only use heart rate monitors to gauge workout intensity when I'm going all out in a new program. Beyond that, I work off of TDEE, calipers and the mirror to see which way I'm going with food. Some people are less in tune or have a more variable lifestyle and might need the crutch...or feel that wearing these things is a some type of social badge.
  • version45
    version45 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Social badge. That's interesting because nearly everyone in my office asked me about the Vivofit on my wrist today (as it's the first day I've worn it). I've even proposed a holiday contest - $20 buy in and most steps by the end of the year wins the pot. (All to be verified by appropriate website (Garmin Connect, Fitbit, etc)). Everyone (even and especially the non-athletes) are excited about participating. I think that's a very positive social badge.