Working 6 days on 6 off, 12 hour shifts ...workout frequency question!

Options
Hi! I have a really weird work schedule. 3 day shifts, 3 night shifts, all 12 hour shifts with an hour long commute each way. Then I have 6 days off in a row. I almost never have the energy to exercise after or before work. I'm just wondering if there is really any point in bothering on my days off? I feel like I'll never see results with such an inconsistent schedule..

Thoughts??

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

There are lots of benefits general health benefits that shouldn't be ignored, but that's really up to you.

As for seeing results... what are your goals?

• meganlr_
    meganlr_ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Seriously what? I'm asking if there is any benefit with so many days off in between.

I'd like to tone arms, legs, stomach and lower back.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    meganlr_ wrote: »
    Seriously what? I'm asking if there is any benefit with so many days off in between.

I'd like to tone arms, legs, stomach and lower back.

Yes, there are definitely benefits.

Your goals are more about diet than they are exercise. Do what you can when you can, but more importantly, make sure you are eating right.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Work out tired. I do it all the time.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I understand the exhaustion. I used to work 4 on, 4 off, 12-hour rotating shifts. It sucks, so I won't even suggest working out on those days. Even if you don't workout on your workdays, there are great benefits to working out when you don't work. You may not have progression quite as fast as someone else that can work out regularly, but doing something is better than doing nothing at all.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who works shifts like that, and on her work days she does "active rest" (yoga, walking, something light and fun that she looks forward to). Depending on your job, your work days may be active enough without something extra. I would definitely continue working out on your off days, as the benefits are numerous.