IIFYM? Opinions?

Options
I have ate "Clean" at one point then I have accidently tried IIFYM. Saw Gains in both areas. Curious of what everyone thinks.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Since you can't eat within your macros eating a whole bunch of chips and sweets, it usually comes out to a similar eating plan. IIFYM just admits up front that there will be some chips and sweets, while a lot of "clean" eaters beat themselves up when it happens.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It works if you are consistent with your tracking. Nothing magical about it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have ate "Clean" at one point then I have accidently tried IIFYM. Saw Gains in both areas. Curious of what everyone thinks.

You can eat clean and follow iifym at the same time , mind blown

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNyH5WTrEf-CpFP4cVhP_z0htsrlBJZnS6CpwzfdQlpwTnTaaJzYa2SwGv
  • IronBelote
    IronBelote Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNyH5WTrEf-CpFP4cVhP_z0htsrlBJZnS6CpwzfdQlpwTnTaaJzYa2SwGv

lol awesome Kyle... but yeah, what Kyle (lolbroscience) said. It's just a form of tracking and make sure to not abuse it. you need to know what your BMR and TDEE are. go to http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ for your personal calculations and stick to it. If you want to start try an 80% clean to 20% "cheat" ratio... a lot of people think you can go 100% sodium filled fast food and it just won't work that way. Hope this helps.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't do the IIFYM thing, but many people swear by it. Some say that it's really a healthy program with a little junk allowed. Others report eating junk food all day, every day. I really don't know what the deal is, but if you like it and it's working for you, why not? :)
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I loooove IIFYM. I do definitely try to work in veggies, because I could easily hit my macros with just lean meat and cookies, lol.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I enjoy iifym. and I hear I eat pretty clean. and I'm just like, "thanks, I washed it myself." ;)
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I would think that the choice that's right for you would depend on your goals. If you're trying to lose and eat in a more strictly healthy way, then "clean" seems to make sense. If you're trying to bulk and add muscle, then IIFYM might be a better option because you have a built in protein target. (Not that you couldn't have that with clean eating, but I think you know what I mean.)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I don't do the IIFYM thing, but many people swear by it. Some say that it's really a healthy program with a little junk allowed. Others report eating junk food all day, every day. I really don't know what the deal is, but if you like it and it's working for you, why not? :)

A link to what is IIFYM. There is also a website that goes into detail about what IIFYM is (iifym.com).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/817188/iifym/p1
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Both can work if you stay within your calorie/macro goals. Both can fail if you don't.

It's just a matter of preference. And they are not mutually exclusive... it doesn't have to be either/or.
  • mrsbunbunbun
    mrsbunbunbun Posts: 49 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I started on IIFYM for about 12 days before I had to go away for the holiday and I will say, Wow! I felt bf drop pretty quickly, weight came off too, but I was also strictly pre-logging everything to really hit those macros spot on. It felt great, but also a bit intense with all the pre-logging, so I was hoping once I got in the groove with it, I wouldn't have to think so much. The biggest difference I noticed between how I used to eat "clean" and IIFYM is carbs/fiber. When I would eat clean I would tend to just be super-low carb also, (+ tomatoes, leafy greens, and lemon), but this is forcing me to raise my carbs to get enough fiber: enter more fruits and veggies. So ya, I think it makes a lot of sense. Still wrapping my head around eating like a couple fiber crackers with my eggs, but seems pretty normal, right? Now that I'm home, I have some company in town for a few days, but I think Monday I will re-commit to 10 more days of strict IIFYM, basically planning everything out and eating mostly the same stuff all week. Should be good! :smiley:
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Love IIFYM. It keeps me same while I lose weight. I eat mostly nutrient dense food, but if I want hot wings or icecream or pizza or whatever and it fits into my day then I can just do it. I've been losing a steady 2lbs/week and I never feel hungry or deprived or BORED.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90 lbs so far IIFYM style.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do both. IIFYM makes perfect sense to me; it is very clear on what you have to do and why, yet very flexible and realistic. Eating clean just means eating healthy, natural, wholegrain, unprocessed food? It's a little too vague for me in some situations, and just not practical in others.

By generally eating 'clean' within IIFYM guidelines you get best of both worlds.
  • MelKnight77
    MelKnight77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

You can eat clean and follow iifym at the same time , mind blown

This ^^^^

I follow iifym, has worked for me. When I was strict clean eating, I'd be craving all foods, all the time. Now I don't, because I know I can have it when I want, not just on a binge, I mean a cheat meal ;-)

I find I'm much smarter about what I eat now too. I'm not wasting macro's on junk food, just because I can, I like to get value from them lol.

Mel

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do IIFYM also, but I usually eat "clean" for lunch only.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of the term "eating clean." :s
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    you accidentally tried it? If both worked well for you, you could just mesh them as already mentioned.... weren't you also trying to lower your sodium? So maybe the less processed options of "clean" eating will work better for that goal....
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I only eat things that don't fit my macros