In your 20s without much to lose!

Options
maria0elisa
maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
edited December 2014 in Introduce Yourself
Hello!
Just wondering if there is anyone else here who is a student or working in their 20s who is on here to lose around 5kgs (10lbs) or who is just maintaining.
It seems there are a lot of people on here who are all a little older with kids, and it would be nice to chat with someone with similar lifestyle and goals to me.
My stats:
I'm 23
I am 166cm/ 5'4"
Highest weight: 65kg/ 143lbs
Current weight: 50kg/ 109lbs
Goal weight: 45kg/ 100lbs
Calorie target: 1350 per day (Sit at a desk for studying but I go running once/twice a week)
I eat a mainly veggie diet with some chicken/fish. I don't eat red meat.

I'm a student in my last year of uni and I've been eating healthily for about 10 months after my exchange year in Germany involved a little too much beer and partying and a little too few times exercising..!
I'm pretty into music as well.
Thanks! :)

Replies

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'4" and my goal is somewhere around 125-128lbs, I'm currenty 134.4lbs.

IMO, unless you have a very small frame, I think that your goal of 100lbs is too low and you really want more of a recomposition than continued weight loss. Try incorporating weights into your workouts if you can, or some body weight exercises. Right now your BMI is barely in the healthy range and going to 100lbs is considered underweight. It's up to you but your current weight is healthy and if you want to change your body, recomposition is a better idea than to continue losing weight.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'4" and my goal is somewhere around 125-128lbs, I'm currenty 134.4lbs.

IMO, unless you have a very small frame, I think that your goal of 100lbs is too low and you really want more of a recomposition than continued weight loss. Try incorporating weights into your workouts if you can, or some body weight exercises. Right now your BMI is barely in the healthy range and going to 100lbs is considered underweight. It's up to you but your current weight is healthy and if you want to change your body, recomposition is a better idea than to continue losing weight.

I agree with this.
  • maria0elisa
    Options

PwrLftr82 wrote: »

I agree with this.

Hi you two,
    Ok thanks very much for the advice!!
    Yeah, I agree- I don't want to lose loads more at all...
    Basically my weight now is 50kg/110lbs when I wake up, but obviously it doesn't stay like that all day because it fluctuates with water/food intake, so by the end of the day I might be 54kg/120lbs, and because I gain weight around my middle (great genes..!) I look and feel quite bloated.

Basically just having the goal of 45/100 before I hit maintenance, so that when my weight stabilises, I will fluctuate between 49-53kg/ 110-117 if that makes sense?

But yeah I do really appreciate the advice because I don't know much about 'recomposition' .. I don't want to lose much more overall, but my belly still protrudes slightly and bloats up really easily. From what I read on other forums, people seemed to say that you can't spot reduce and that you just have to bring your total weight down.

I'm very open to alternative suggestions if you have any tips on how to reduce fat around the belly area?
    Thanks!!
  • maria0elisa
    Options

I agree with this.

Ps. The right-hand photo on my profile pic was taken probably just after I'd had breakfast but nothing more... after I have my evening meal, my belly swells up much more! So frustrating.
  • PerfectlyImpaired
    Options
    " I have my evening meal, my belly swells up much more! So frustrating."
    Frustrating indeed, I can eat a well portioned meal and go from flat to looking about 4 months pregnant lol. I dont eat salty foods, and not knowing why that happens adds to the frustration :(
  • tiffanymorash
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm 25 years old, female and 5'3 - I currently weight 142 Lbs. After a 6 month engagement, a wedding to follow and purchasing a home, I put my health on the backburner.

For someone who completely cut sugar and gluten out of their diet, I went on a huge binge after getting engaged! Instead of trying to lose weight, I swear it was like I was trying to gain as much as possible (not actually!).

Before my engagement, my weight fluctuated from 120 Lbs to 125 Lbs which I maintained for 6 years. With all of the stress from wedding planning and buying a new home, I threw out my healthy lifestyle and replaced it with sugary, addictive foods, pizza, donairs - you name it!

So my husband and I - who have always been into fitness, sports and walking our dog decided to commit to a healthy lifestyle again.

So as it goes, I am 25 years old, married, and living in my first home away from my parents and doing whatever I can to become the healthiest person I can be.

My goal weight this time around is 111 Lbs - 124 Lbs since I have a Mesomorph body type and a small frame.

I don't care how long it takes me to get there, because I will always be working to better myself - I think this is what is different this time - no more deadlines!

I would appriciate any feedback or encouragement as I know this is a long road that will hopefully only get easier.

Thanks!

Tiffany
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    " I have my evening meal, my belly swells up much more! So frustrating."
    Frustrating indeed, I can eat a well portioned meal and go from flat to looking about 4 months pregnant lol. I dont eat salty foods, and not knowing why that happens adds to the frustration :(

haha YES I feel so huge! Til the next morning, then I'm fine, and the cycle continues haha.
    And when I have PMS there are a couple of days when it really does feel like I have a beach ball/pregnant tummy..

I'm also not taking in much salt at the moment... it's a mystery... hopefully someone else might have some knowledge on how to combat this!
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm 25 years old, female and 5'3 - I currently weight 142 Lbs. After a 6 month engagement, a wedding to follow and purchasing a home, I put my health on the backburner.

For someone who completely cut sugar and gluten out of their diet, I went on a huge binge after getting engaged! Instead of trying to lose weight, I swear it was like I was trying to gain as much as possible (not actually!).

Before my engagement, my weight fluctuated from 120 Lbs to 125 Lbs which I maintained for 6 years. With all of the stress from wedding planning and buying a new home, I threw out my healthy lifestyle and replaced it with sugary, addictive foods, pizza, donairs - you name it!

So my husband and I - who have always been into fitness, sports and walking our dog decided to commit to a healthy lifestyle again.

So as it goes, I am 25 years old, married, and living in my first home away from my parents and doing whatever I can to become the healthiest person I can be.

My goal weight this time around is 111 Lbs - 124 Lbs since I have a Mesomorph body type and a small frame.

I don't care how long it takes me to get there, because I will always be working to better myself - I think this is what is different this time - no more deadlines!

I would appriciate any feedback or encouragement as I know this is a long road that will hopefully only get easier.

Thanks!

Tiffany

Hi tiffany!
    It doesn't sound like you've put on that much at all, and yeah totally agree on the deadlines thing. So you should get back to your previous weight pretty easily:)
    Good to have you here anyway! :)
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Lift. Seriously. Lift heavy weights and eat at maintenance. Your entire body will change for the better. I promise.
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    Lift. Seriously. Lift heavy weights and eat at maintenance. Your entire body will change for the better. I promise.
    really? I've never been much of a lifter....
  • maria0elisa
    Options

what's your view on sit-ups? Pointless unless you reduce the layer of fat covering your abs or a good way to tone up my belly fat??
  • cnnguyen2
    cnnguyen2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name's Christine.

I'm 25 years old - Living and working a desk job in Chicago. I'm 5' 7" at around 210 and looking to lose a lot more than 10 pounds. I've gained over 30 pounds in the past year and a half after moving out of my parents' house to Chicago. It's so hard to resist all the good food around here.

I've tried Paleo a few times with great success, but because I'm living with my boyfriend who's also overweight, he has a difficult time with Paleo, we've decided to watch what we eat, calorie count, and hopefully get a little more exercise in! We're complete couch potatoes.

It's really difficult to lose weight, especially with all the negativity coming from my parents. I know they mean well, but it's completely disheartening when they tell me I'm fat and unrecognizable.

Currently, I've reduced my calories down to around 1400/day. This is only my second day though, so hopefully this all goes well. I've been taking walks on my lunch hour to get a little bit of activity going on, but if anyone has advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm also hoping to connect with anyone that can give me moral support & accountability.
  • morgo20
    morgo20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Me!!! im 23 year old female currently working but going to school next year.. weighing 139.. and my goal is to be around 135 by the new year.. although I am going to vegas fora week.. hahaha ill try my best to get my workouts in! ADD ME!
  • jennidee12
    Options
    Hello! I'm 23, just graduated college and looking for a job. I'm 5'9 139 lbs wanting to be 130. I work out at least 4 times a week, but it's my goal to do at least five. I'm here to be friends with anybody, any age and share fitness goals!
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    cnnguyen2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! My name's Christine.

I'm 25 years old - Living and working a desk job in Chicago. I'm 5' 7" at around 210 and looking to lose a lot more than 10 pounds. I've gained over 30 pounds in the past year and a half after moving out of my parents' house to Chicago. It's so hard to resist all the good food around here.

I've tried Paleo a few times with great success, but because I'm living with my boyfriend who's also overweight, he has a difficult time with Paleo, we've decided to watch what we eat, calorie count, and hopefully get a little more exercise in! We're complete couch potatoes.

It's really difficult to lose weight, especially with all the negativity coming from my parents. I know they mean well, but it's completely disheartening when they tell me I'm fat and unrecognizable.

Currently, I've reduced my calories down to around 1400/day. This is only my second day though, so hopefully this all goes well. I've been taking walks on my lunch hour to get a little bit of activity going on, but if anyone has advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm also hoping to connect with anyone that can give me moral support & accountability.
    morgo20 wrote: »
    Me!!! im 23 year old female currently working but going to school next year.. weighing 139.. and my goal is to be around 135 by the new year.. although I am going to vegas fora week.. hahaha ill try my best to get my workouts in! ADD ME!

Hi you guys!
    So I originally posted this here, and then I was like, "Why have I posted that in 'introduce yourself'? That is the worst section. There is no fun to be had in 'introduce yourself'."
    Also I've been logging for about 5 months now so maybe it wasn't a good place to put it.

SO I posted it here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10028648/in-your-20s-without-much-to-lose#latest

it has more replies and other people you can add, so join us there!
    I will add you!
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    jennidee12 wrote: »
    Hello! I'm 23, just graduated college and looking for a job. I'm 5'9 139 lbs wanting to be 130. I work out at least 4 times a week, but it's my goal to do at least five. I'm here to be friends with anybody, any age and share fitness goals!

see above!!! :) i'll add you!