How to get the bar from my shoulders to the floor safely?

Options
threnjen
threnjen Posts: 687 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Sometimes I can't get control of the power cage to do my SL routine, so I work with the free bars doing different exercises (walking lunges, good mornings), but they intimidate me a lot. I use a much lower weight when I get the free bars and use the weight that I can comfortably push press.

I've learned a (sloppy) power clean to get the bar up on my chest, then do a push press to get the bar up over my head and down onto my high back.
Things get awkward here though because I have a lot of trouble getting the bar back to the front after I've been holding it for a while on my high back. A few days ago I could barely get it back over my head. Embarrassing...

What is the correct way to rid myself of it without dropping it? Do I just need to perform another push press from the high back position to get it back to the front? Then drop it down from the clean position?

Every time I do these sequences and drop it down, my wrists also really hurt for a few minutes. Does this imply some form issue on the moves?

Edit for clarification: Whether or not it makes any difference (it may not), I should have clarified that when I have to use the free bars I have been doing things like walking lunges and good mornings, not my normal SL routine. I use a lower weight bar than what I squat in the rack.

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    When the weight gets heavy, you have to use a rack. If it's not available, wait for it, or ask to work in. If you absolutely can't use the rack, do front squats. Don't press the bar over your head! But a warning: you'll be squatting too much to clean pretty soon. When you get to that point, you'll have to use the rack.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Oh god, please do not do a push press from the back. Best wait for the rack, you don't want to hurt yourself. Take care.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Use a rack. You will quickly out squat what you can press up behind your neck. You are risking serious injury if you continue to try this method.
  • threnjen
    Options
    Whether or not it makes any difference (it may not), I should have clarified that when I have to use the free bars I have been doing things like walking lunges and good mornings. And, I use a lower weight bar than what I squat in the rack.

The problem remains, however.

For example (and don't laugh at my numbers, I'm a beginner lifter), in the rack I squat 80lbs, and if I have to work out on the floor I have been selecting the 50lb weight to do walking lunges and good mornings. This is a weight I can get up over my head but I can only 5x5 OHP 45-50lbs as it is so it is a challenge to move around on my body.

Not sure if this information changes any of the recommendations (thank you for feedback so far)
  • feralX
    Options
    No same recommendation, push press from behind the neck is going to trash your shoulders. Try goblet squats if you can't get the rack. Could do some walking lunges and stiff-legged deadlifts with DBs as well.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    There is really no safe way to do this. You need to put the weight in the rack, and when you are finished with your lifting, walk it back in the rack.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I run into this problem when I'm doing step ups. I use a 60 pound bar but could go heavier. I don't really know what to do though because I feel like doing step ups in the squat rack is just as annoying as curling there.
  • feralX
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I run into this problem when I'm doing step ups. I use a 60 pound bar but could go heavier. I don't really know what to do though because I feel like doing step ups in the squat rack is just as annoying as curling there.

Dumbbells
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    feralX wrote: »

Dumbbells

Yeah, I guess I am really uncomfortable doing them with two 30 or 40 pound dumb bells too. But I haven't tried in a few weeks so maybe I'll be better now.
  • feralX
    Options

Dumbbells

Yeah, I guess I am really uncomfortable doing them with two 30 or 40 pound dumb bells too. But I haven't tried in a few weeks so maybe I'll be better now.

If you're concerned about grip, pick up a pair lifting straps.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Ask a trainer to watch you and make suggestions. Or ask someone else who looks like they know what they're doing. Most people will help if they can.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How are you squatting the same amount you are push pressing? The idea of SL is progressive overload, that can't happen because your squat weights will quickly outpace what you can clean and press, then drop on the back of your neck.

Use a squat rack for squatting before you hurt yourself.

ETA - seriously, you should do the program as written.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If you have bumper plates you can drop the bar off your back but the rack is the way to go
  • dbmata
    Options

Dumbbells

It'll make balance harder, the bar is making the balance easier for you, so in effect you'll be hitting the assistance muscles pretty well comparatively.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Dumbbells

It'll make balance harder, the bar is making the balance easier for you, so in effect you'll be hitting the assistance muscles pretty well comparatively.

Grip strength might be an issue here going heavy. You could try straps though

• threnjen
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    How are you squatting the same amount you are push pressing? The idea of SL is progressive overload, that can't happen because your squat weights will quickly outpace what you can clean and press, then drop on the back of your neck.

Use a squat rack for squatting before you hurt yourself.

ETA - seriously, you should do the program as written.

I'm not pressing the same as I squat. Sorry for the lack of clarification. I tried to edit my op for better clarity but I will try to clean it up again. When I have to use the free bars I am not using more than I can push press, which is much less than I can squat. I do the SL 5x5 program exactly as written (and love it!)
  • threnjen
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, it is really helpful. I'll focus on doing more DB work if I can't get the rack, and doing lunges with DBs (farmer something or other?) etc. My grip is quite weak so it would probably benefit me to do more DB work anyway.

I'm curious why my PT taught me the walking lunges etc with a free bar if there's not really a safe and reasonable way to manage it on my own. It's too bad because I really do like doing the walking lunges + good mornings as a superset, but I am more worried about my safety!
  • dbmata
    Options
    If you're doing SL 5x5 exactly as written, is there a new module released that includes cleans and push pressing, or lunges? I'm obviously missing something here, I only have used vanilla SL 5x5, and there is only 4 lifts in it.

Also, you also say your PT taught you to do lunges this way... did they teach you, or just have you do it that way after helping you put the bar up? If they taught you, why didn't they address the questions you posed here? Personally, I'll pick up and press up an ez curl bar and do lunges with it, but if I go heavy I just load a barbell on the rack, or I'll use DBs which are safer and more preferred, particularly when alone. I loathe lunges, so I don't do a ton of them alone.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Use the rack. It's annoying to have to wait for it, I know, but what you're doing is a recipe for injury.
  • feralX
    Options
    Because most PT's are worthless. Do some sets with the DBs, when grip starts failing use lifting straps. Don't ruin a compound exercise just to improve grip strength.