Calling all bike riders!

Options
2»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    zbfllmjwzdla.jpg

Poor bike - has been "derailed" since October 19th due to my broken leg.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If it's cold and dry: layers, as mentioned. Focus on windproof/resistant. If it's cold and wet I recommend an indoor trainer. :smile:

All the recommendations for overshoes and booties are great. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any that fit over the shoes I wear with my 'cross bike, which is my primary cold weather training bike. However, what does work regardless of what shoes you wear is to put your socks on, take some aluminum foil and mold it around your toes and the front, upper and lower part of your foot, then put your shoes on. The aluminum foil forms a nice wind stop and helps hold heat in around your toes.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!! I guess I should probably start investing in some actual winter bike gear as most of you are suggesting, it's just so darn expensive. I've invested in countless things for winter horse riding and that costs a boat load too hah...so I try to do double duty with everything I can.

TheBigYin - thanks for the pointers! I didn't even think about getting off and walking to get my feet moving, I was so ready to just get home. That probably would have helped some at least.

rafikiphoto - you GO! That's so awesome and inspirational! My goal is to be doing the same when I'm 70 also!

bwogilvie - I was thinking the same exact thing when I was riding. The tires were just splashing the water all over me, which didn't really help.

ntnunk - that's genius! I'm going to have to try that, along with booties, until I can afford something more practical.

Thanks everyone for the feedback again! I know I only listed a few here, but I read every post and have saved all the links to research :) I really appreciate all the advice!