Dilemma - Some outside thoughts on the matter needed

Options
shadow2soul
shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
For starters, I'll explain my workouts and then I'll get down to my dilemma.

The workouts:
X-TrainFit @ Home 90 Day Program
The dvd's involved range from 26 mins to 81mins.
Stretch - 26 mins
Arms - 49 mins (biceps/triceps/shoulders...most exercises performed with dumbbells...2 sets, first set 1 count, second set 2 count)
Legs - 53 mins (various types of squats/lunges/calf raises performed with dumbbells..there is also banded side steps)
Hardcore (if it's not obvious, exercises that are core focused lots of planks/crunches) - 54 mins
Cardio - 54 mins (don't really think this needs an explanation)
Chest & Back - 63 mins (exercises performed with dumbbells or resistance band, 3 sets, first set 1 count/second set 2 count (slow down movement so it takes 2 counts up/down)/third set 3 down 1 up for half the reps then 1 down 3 up for the rest of the reps)
Circuit Burnout - 81 mins (full body circuit workout)
**There is a yoga dvd, but I don't use it. It's optional. I tried it once and I wanted to fall asleep (not that it's boring, just very relaxing)**

I've been doing my best to follow the plan as outlined.
Days 1-21: (roughly 5hrs a week)
  • Thursday - Cardio
  • Friday - Chest & Back
  • Saturday - Circuit Burnout
  • Sunday - Legs
  • Monday - Cardio
  • Tuesday - Arms
  • Wednesday - Stretch or Rest
I missed 2 workouts during that time frame, but just decided to move on. I also wasn't able to fully complete the Circuit dvd, but that was just from being out of shape (first workouts after my second pregnancy)
Days 22-63: (roughly 6 hrs a week)
  • Thursday - Circuit Burnout
  • Friday - Legs
  • Saturday - Arms
  • Sunday - Circuit Burnout
  • Monday - Chest & Back
  • Tuesday - Hardcore
  • Wednesday - Rest
I missed 1 workout, but again decided just to move on. Pretty happy that by Day 29 I could make it through 100% of the Circuit dvd
Days 64 - 90: (I call it hell)
  • Day 64 - Cardio and Hardcore
  • Day 65 - Chest & Back
  • Day 66 - Circuit BurnOut and Stretch
  • Day 67 - Legs
  • Day 68 - Cardio and Hardcore
  • Day 69 - Arms
  • Day 70 - Rest
    Day 64 - 70: roughly 8hrs
  • Day 71 - Chest & Back
  • Day 72 - Hardcore
  • Day 73 - Rest
  • Day 74 - Cardio and Hardcore
  • Day 75 - Chest & Back
  • Day 76 - Circuit BurnOut and Stretch
  • Day 77 - Legs
    Day 71-77: roughly 7hrs
  • Day 78 - Cardio and Hardcore
  • Day 79 - Arms
  • Day 80 - Rest
  • Day 81 - Chest & Back
  • Day 82 - Hardcore
  • Day 83 - Rest
  • Day 84 - Cardio and Hardcore
    Day 78-84: roughly 6hrs
  • Day 85 - Chest & Back
  • Day 86 - Circuit BurnOut and Stretch
  • Day 87 - Legs
  • Day 88 - Cardio and Hardcore
  • Day 89 - Arms
  • Day 90 - Rest
    Day 85-90: roughly 6hrs
Days in red were skipped
Today is marked in blue

So after the 1st week into Days 64-90, I started experiencing extreme migraines and was just really tired. I figure that probably has to do more with how much I was eating (averaging slightly less than what was normal for days 1-63). Well I'm feeling much better now and plan to get back to my workouts tomorrow.

My dilemma is this:
Should I start tomorrow with Day 77 or just go ahead and move on to Day 85?
I can't decide if making up those missed workouts will have any benefit or not. Any thoughts?

And yes I know this workout is way overkill. I bought it while I was pregnant and decided that since I bought it I should do it at least once all the way through. Pretty brutal when you normally workout 20-45 mins 4-5 times a week to jump to workouts that are closer to an hour. I really thought during the first 3 weeks I was gonna die. Now I'm thinking the trainer wants to kill you with the last few days.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No opinions :neutral_face:

maximum-bummer.png

cbbummer.gif
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'd probably go back to day 77 and start from there.

I wouldn't feel bad about repeating any week, and finishing later than you intended. Just keep following the plan if it's working for you.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I...uhh...err...

*insert generic "lift heavy" comment here.*
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    I...uhh...err...

*insert generic "lift heavy" comment here.*

:laugh:

I would if I had access to a gym. Currently working with a set of adjustable dumbbells till I can afford to get a gym membership. **fingers crossed for around tax returns**
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    blueakama wrote: »
    I'd probably go back to day 77 and start from there.

I wouldn't feel bad about repeating any week, and finishing later than you intended. Just keep following the plan if it's working for you.

I actually kind of hate it. So damn time consuming. I was counting down the days till I was done.

I'm seriously considering going back to day 77, because a 54min leg workout sounds much nicer than 54mins of cardio and 54mins of core.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter with that particular workout. Do the days if it makes you feel better.

Please try to keep posts under 3000 words
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you kind of hate it skip the days and move onto something you like more.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you hate it then find a much more suitable and efficient program. And you don't need to go to the gym.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter with that particular workout. Do the days if it makes you feel better.

Please try to keep posts under 3000 words

This.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you hate it - scrap it and start something you enjoy. You aren't getting the benefit out of it you should if you aren't "into it". I have found that my form, motivation and intensity start to lack when I get bored, frustrated or just "done" with exercises.

Life's too short to do exercises you hate!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This program sounds like torture in so many ways. There are so many more efficient and enjoyable ways to go about this.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I like your batman hat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    If you hate it then find a much more suitable and efficient program. And you don't need to go to the gym.

this!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    If it were me and I insisted on finishing the blasted thing, I wouldn't not do the days I skip. Having the program take more than the 90 days is less important than doing the prescribed exercises. With that being said....it doesn't sound like it is the program for you...or many people I know. I hope you can find something that works for you better in the future.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say life is too short to commit to fitness programs that you don't enjoy. I have a set of adjustable weights too and have found many, many under-30 minute videos that use them at FitnessBlender.com. I enjoy outdoor running, but during the winter months my time with Fitness Blender (no affiliation, just a happy user) has given me the body comp changes I've been wishing and working for. I don't know how you fit in hour long workouts with a new baby...mine are teenagers and I still have to get up at 5am to get that half hour to myself LOL.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'd use the tax refund to get a bench and a barbell, way more cost effective than a gym membership, generally speaking.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I know I don't need to. I want to. I want to do a program like Stronglifts 5x5. I actually like lifting.

tigersword wrote: »
    I'd use the tax refund to get a bench and a barbell, way more cost effective than a gym membership, generally speaking.

They gym membership I'm looking at will have a daycare and pool that are included in the cost of membership.
    knitapeace wrote: »
    I don't know how you fit in hour long workouts with a new baby...mine are teenagers and I still have to get up at 5am to get that half hour to myself LOL.

They both take a nap after lunch that gives me just enough time to fit in a workout.