Question for cyclists...

Options
I am considering getting a trainer so I can ride my bike through the winter inside. My bike is a Trek FX hybrid, if it matters. It would go in my basement, but I don't want something so noisy I cannot hear the tv or stereo at a reasonable volume. I want something of quality, but I'm not a pro cyclist (so I don't need to spend extra on the highest priced model).

What should I be looking for in a trainer? Any recommendations on what to get? Any warnings on what to avoid?

Replies

• ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    We own the Kurt Kinetic rock and roll fluid trainer and love it. It's quiet and doesn't require any tension adjustments while riding. Although my husband bought an older model and got a deal, it was still a little pricey. I've seen a few magnetic trainers on the Amazon lightning deals, so maybe keep an eye on those this week.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I also own a Kurt Kinetic, a Road Machine model. It's a phenomenally good trainer, sturdy, relatively quiet, and reliable. I probably put 1000 miles per year or more on my Kurt.

Noise can be affected to a degree with tire selection, so make sure you're using something with no tread or very little tread.

My recommendation is to spend the money for a Kurt or a Cyclops Fluid2. Failing that, pick up a fluid trainer of some sort. I'd recommend you stay away from the magnetic or wind trainers.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with my mag trainer, and for the money they are hard to beat. It's help up well for the past 7ish years seeing what I'd consider moderate use.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    My recommendation is to spend the money for a Kurt or a Cyclops Fluid2.

^^This.^^

Cyclops is what we own in our basement. https://www.cycleops.com/
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Is there ever a problem with the fluid trainers leaking? My local bike shop carries both Cycleops and Kurt. The green is cool, but the Cycleops is 20%off right now.

Is there any reason to choose one over the other? The sale isn't so hugely significant that the price would sway me if for some reason the Kurt was the obviously better buy. If they are quite comparable, I would go for the one on sale.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, I have heard that fluid based trainers can leak when they get very hot but don't know of anyone who has suffered this fate directly.

Personally, I would go for the cheaper one as they tend to be much of a muchness at similar price points.