1200 CALORIE PEOPLE

Options

Replies

• SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1200 calories each day. I do not starve myself, I am satisfied after each meal and I eat between 4 and 6 times a day.
    Feel free to add me and check out my diary. You can also message me with any questions you may have.

P.s. Starvation mode DOES NOT EXIST :-)

Have a lovely day <3
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I have a question. I need to lower my calories but I am not sure how much to eat for each meal or WHAT to eat to only eat 1200. I am used to 1500 or more :(. Please let me know what your days look like or how you plan each meal and what you eat. Any info is appreciated in advance, thanks!

My diary is open if you would like to have a look. You are welcome to friend me as well. :) It's really about small portions. You don't have to make the jump from 1500 to 1200 overnight. Serve yourself a small portion and tell yourself if you are still hungry afterwards, it is ok to have another serving, or a light snack.

I usually have a bran cereal for breakfast, a tuna helper or something similar for lunch, and whatever I cook for my family for dinner. Plus 2 or 3 snacks during the day. String cheese is an awesome snack, very low cal and takes a while to eat, so feels like a lot. I try to plan my meals and snacks the night before so I know exactly how many calories I have to play with for extra snacks if I get extra hungry. Also, I only drink water. I use all of my calories for food... instead of drinking them.
  • frankizoy
    frankizoy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i tend to eat a slightly bigger breakfast because i found that if i do that im less hungry though out the day and am less likely to over eat, i also have smaller meals during lunch and dinner and have small snacks between meals like an apple or a light yogurt
  • Misskiykiy
    Misskiykiy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Someone said eat like a Queen for breakfast, and Princess for Lunch and a Pauper for Dinner. Eat big for breakfast. I'm just starting out, and trying to watch what I eat. Good luck!!!
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't skip meals, especially breakfast. If your body goes into starvation mode it will start eating muscle and storing fat and that's obviously not what you want. I have a few tips starting with the obvious: Do a little bit of exercise every day to gain yourself some extra calories for the day...even if it's just vacuuming or cleaning up a bit.

For breakfast you can put yourself together a low cal bowl of cereal by using fat free milk and a TON of fresh fruit (strawberries and blueberries are my favorite). As for the cereal itself I'll do 2/3 multi-grain cheerios to 1/3 ratio of a filling (diet) granole like Kashi GoLean Crunch. If you get a flavor like cinnamon it will add a lot of flavor to the mix and help you feel more full. If you can drink coffee black that will help stave off hunger for longer, also.

Lunch I've found easier to handle by buying diet bread like the Sara Lee 45 calorie/slice wheat bread. Most bread is 100 calories a slice so you can have 2 for less than the price of 1. Also, 2 ounces of chicken breast lunchmeat is only like 60 calories.

The lowest calorie easy dinner I've found is to get a fully cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, a nice 1 cup portion of steamed broccoli and some starch with it whether that be rice, potatoes, etc. Don't deprive yourself of the carbs or you will have no energy to face the next day!

Hope that helps!

It's a myth that you need to eat breakfast. Your body isn't going to go into starvation mode because you chose to eat your first meal at noon rather than 6, 7, or 8am.

True story. You can skip whatever meal you like, as long as you hit your macros/micros. I DON'T skip breakfast because I am a cranky *kitten* if I do. Pretty much the only reason it happens on a daily basis.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    One other tidbit that is true for me and I have heard others say - eating a small amount of grain (cereal, toast, etc) for breakfast should be avoided at all costs. It seems to stoke the digestive engine and I will be starving most of the day. If I just eat a banana or an orange I will be fine. It isn't just me as I have heard others make the same comment but some people are okay with that. If you are having grain for breakfast and feeling hungry, try fruit instead.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    When I see peeps asking about 1,200 calories I want to shake them... no offence.

I did it in the beginning and got NO WHERE FAST!

I checked my TDEE in February and have been eating according to that (1,850 instead of my 1,480) and I've lost 9lbs.

If you want to do 1,200, go ahead, but check the forums for people where that little food has worked.

Good luck!

Taking the calorie's i eat back from workouts... i average between 1300-1600 per day, i use mfp how its supposed to be used. I eat back my calories (well i try to... but 9/10 i go to bed with roughly 200cals left over :embarassed: )

The only issue im having, is because i dont use ankle weights when doing abdominal leg raises or abdominal crunches.. it wont figure out what calories iv burned :noway:

Never mind.
  • cheers_b
    cheers_b Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi! I find that with only having 1200 calories it helps to eat smaller and more frequent "meals". I am terrible about writing down my last meal of the day, so my diary will not be much help. However here is what a typical day looks like for me.

Breakfast: Oatmeal or Cereal - Between 150 and 200 cal
    Snack: Apple slices, Cutie orange, sm banana - between 50 and 100 cal depending on breakfast
    Lunch: Some sort of frozen ready made meal or soup - 300 cal or less
    Snack: Usually greek yogurt, fresh veggies like carrot sticks or cumcumber slices - 100 cal or less
    Dinner: Something like Chicken Breast with steamed veggies - 500 cal or less
    Snack: If I have any calories left (I usually do), then I have a late snack like 100 cal popcorn or a 50 cal cheese stick

Basically I don't feel like I am missing out because I am eating all day long! :tongue:

I'm very similar to this^^^^^

What?? I fail to see the wine on the list above?? First rule of cal-counting: when excess cals available-drink wine! :0)
    aside from this missing point- the list looks very doable.
    signed
    Mr WANNABE1900 cals/day

cheers
    b
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I eliminate fruit, and I exercise about 60-90 minutes a day, and that helps me to be at 1200 sometimes 1300. I like fruit but I like other things better, like legumes which are high in calories for the amount I love to eat, and peanut butter by the spoonful. So a lot of things are not even in my menu. I do eggs, cheese, rice, legumes, broc, spinach, salads with ranch dressing, grilled catfish, salmon, and chicken. the ranch and peanut butter are my downfalls. It gets easier for me as time goes by, I used to 1700 but didn't lose anything even though I exercised the same amount.
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi there - My average calorie intake is anywhere from 1,200 to 1,400 depending and some days it is hard to get in that many calories if I eat all the right things, My dairy is open too but an example day for me is:

- Breakfast 1 egg and 2 egg whites, coffee and maybe one pieve of whole wheat toast
    -Snack - Banana/Strawberries
    - Lunch - Salad with grilled chicken, carrots
    - Snack - granola bar or string cheese
    - Dinner - usually chicken or fish (tuna, mahi) veggie like brooccoli or spinach and rice
    - Snack - low fat yogurt

Hope this helps :)
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hi! I find that with only having 1200 calories it helps to eat smaller and more frequent "meals". I am terrible about writing down my last meal of the day, so my diary will not be much help. However here is what a typical day looks like for me.

Breakfast: Oatmeal or Cereal - Between 150 and 200 cal
    Snack: Apple slices, Cutie orange, sm banana - between 50 and 100 cal depending on breakfast
    Lunch: Some sort of frozen ready made meal or soup - 300 cal or less
    Snack: Usually greek yogurt, fresh veggies like carrot sticks or cumcumber slices - 100 cal or less
    Dinner: Something like Chicken Breast with steamed veggies - 500 cal or less
    Snack: If I have any calories left (I usually do), then I have a late snack like 100 cal popcorn or a 50 cal cheese stick

Basically I don't feel like I am missing out because I am eating all day long! :tongue:

This looks like about what I eat, minus the chicken (I'm vegetarian, so supplement with protein shakes).
  • mnestle
    mnestle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should eat something for breakfast, even if it’s something small. If you skip breakfast you body with think it is starving and store more fat and eat muscle. Ask any nutritionist.

I tend to have a 1/2 a banana as soon as i wake up. I then workout and after my workout within 30 minutes i drink my smoothie for breakfast: other 1/2 of my banana, 1 tbsp peanut butter, Greek yogurt, spinach, milk, and my vanilla multi-vitamin powder.

For lunch i will have a piece of fruit, and a salad with 1/2 a chicken breast on it with yogurt ranch dressing

For a snack i will grab a handful of almonds

Then for dinner i eat the other 1/2 of the chicken breast, some steamed veggies (nothing too starchy) and some milk.

The biggest problem with losing weight tends to be the starch intake.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    When I see peeps asking about 1,200 calories I want to shake them... no offence.

I did it in the beginning and got NO WHERE FAST!

I checked my TDEE in February and have been eating according to that (1,850 instead of my 1,480) and I've lost 9lbs.

If you want to do 1,200, go ahead, but check the forums for people where that little food has worked.

Good luck!

It's working for me. I don't feel hungry. Granted, this is only my second week... if it changes, I will re-evaluate my choices. I'm already frustrated with the people telling us we don't know what we are doing by only eating 1200 calories and making us feel stupid. JUST because it did not work for you, does not mean it won't work for others. I'm short and have a slender frame. Even when I did my TDEE, it only came out to 1245, which is what I use now. OF COURSE I tell every one to listen to their bodies most of all. If they feel hungry all the time, or have a lack of energy, they need to up their calories. Every one is different, to tell people it won't work for them and discourage them before they even start is counter-productive in my opinion. Be positive!
  • cmc71
    cmc71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 1200 now as I get closer to maintenance, but I did eat that amount for most of the time I was losing weight. I've found the substitutions several people have talked about to be helpful:

-low cal bread/buns for regular
    -low cal butter or butter spray
    -0 calorie salad dressings from Walden Farms (some people don't like them, but I love the Asian and balsamic ones, especially)
    -the PB2 peanut butter has great taste, but I don't care for the texture
    -cooking spray instead of olive oil

Other things that have worked for me
    -large salad with pretty much every dinner, especially when eating out. It helps keep me full and is nuturitious to boot.
    -dessert! The skinny cow ice cream desserts and candies are both tasty and between 100-150 calories per serving. I also just discovered the Healthy Choice greek frozen yogurts in a variety of flavors for only 100 calories per serving.
    -it takes a little looking, but there are some very low cal yogurts made by Dannon Light and Active that are 4oz and only 50 calories per serving-great with breakfast or for a snack.
    -Cooking Light magazine. TONS of tasty and filling meals for around 400-450 calories per meal. I often find I can reduce that slightly by subbing cooking spray for the olive oil some recipes use.
    -"emergency" snacks that are 0 calories or close to it that I can eat when I'm out of calories (pickles, celery, light jello cups)

A typical day might look like this:

BREAKFAST
    cereal and fruit
    200 calories

LUNCH
    Cooking light Jambalaya and fruit
    450 calories

DINNER
    Chicken sausage with low cal bun, marinara and provolone cheese
    grape tomatoes with basil and balsamic vinegar
    salad
    fruit
    400 calories

SNACK
    skinny cow ice cream sandwich
    150 calories

That's right at 1200 calories and a pretty fair amount of food. I also drink a lot of water-as many have said, I find that cuts down on many of the food cravings.
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sample Day for Me: Calories 1138 Carbs 180 Fat 80 Protein 73 Sodium 1390 Fiber 23

Breakfast
    Hill Country Fare (Heb Brand) - Real Egg, 1/4 cup
    Thomas' English Muffin- 100 Calorie - Triple Health English Muffin, 0.5 muffin
    Smart Balance Omega - Non-Stick Cooking Spray, 1 second spray
    Planters - Nutrition Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Raisin Granola, 0.5 tablespoons
    Pace - *Chunky Salsa - Mild, 0.5 tbsp (26g)

Lunch
    Heb - Premium Chunk White Albacore Tuna, 2 oz
    Kraft - (Corrected) Mayo With Olive Oil - Reduced Fat, 1 Tbsp
    French's - 100% Natural Classic Yellow Mustard, 1 tsp (5 g)
    Earthbound Farm Organic - Baby Peeled Carrots >,
    Grapefruit - Raw, pink and red, all areas, 0.5 fruit (3-3/4" dia)
    Heb Premium Quality - Multigrain Baked Pita Chips, 1 oz (28 grams)

Dinner
    Homemade - Baked Catfish, 4 oz
    Del Monte - Sweet Peas (Website), 1/4 cup
    Del Monte - Fruit Cup to Go- Tropical Fruit, 1 cup
    New York - Texas Toast Lite- Updated 11/12, 1 slice
    Lemon

Snacks
    Fiber Advance - Gummies , 2 Gummies
    Peeled Snacks - Much-Ado-About-Mango, 1.4 oz
    Kellogg's Special K Cracker Chips - Sour Cream & Onion 90 Calorie Bag, 1 bag
    Danon Light N Fit Greek - Cherry - Greek Yogurt - Cherry, 150 g

Drinks
    Yogi Tea - Women's Energy , 8 fl oz
    My Sugar - Pure Cane Sugar - Granulated White, 1 tsp (4 g)
    Mintue Maid - 15 Calorie Peach Flavored Fruit Drink, 8 oz 15
  • Louisa1979
    Louisa1979 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Brekkie: poached egg on one slice toast with one slice of lean ham or oatbran porridge made with semi-skimmed milk and sweetener (200-250 cal)
    Lunch: Salad with cottage cheese and ham or oak roasted salmon with low fat dressing, dessert - low fat fruit yoghurt. (300 cal)
    Dinner: Grilled fish with vegetables (no potatoes though!) and sauce made from low fat cream cheese, fresh herbs an a dash of milk, low fat fromage frais for dessert (400 calories)
    Snacks: mini baby bel light, more cold meat (50-100 cal)

I eat low carb and high low fat protein which keeps me feeling full. Plus drink lots of water!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm another one with a totally open diary and have been doing 1200 for five months. I will send you a friend request too. It was tough at first, but now I find it pretty easy honestly. When I do exercise I eat back my calories though since I don't believe below 1200 is a good idea.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, but I suggest you go back to before this past weekend since I partied a bit too much ;).
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is whatever meal you make it. If you work in a schedule where you can't eat breakfast as most people see breakfast - like around 7:00 a.m. - then of course you can't eat breakfast like they think you should. Our whole family has eaten breakfast when they COULD because of schedules, and never thought anything wrong with it.
  • OhSondra
    OhSondra Posts: 2
    Options
    My latest discovery and my new obsession....."Ready Pac Bistro Salads" I get them at Walmart and they're by the bagged salad mixes. They're $2.98 each...they come in different "flavors"....Santa Fe....Cobb...Chef...Ceaser...Complete with lettuce, toppings (cheese, chicken, etc), and dressing in a convenient take anywhere with you bowl....All UNDER 300 calories. They're good size...I am always about quantity when it comes to food....and these are pretty filling....And they're soooo good!!! They're so few calories...I sometimes eat one as a meal...or on days I'm really hungry...I'll eat one as a snack. :)