Toning arms specifically

Options
Is it possible to tone your arms without weights/dumb bells? Would air boxing help? Any feedback would be nice. Thanks.

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Most people have very little muscles on their arms if they've never lifted. Cutting body fat might make that little muscle come out a bit, but it won't be much. In other words, if you don't weight train, you won't get very far aesthetically.

Air boxing won't do anything. Try real boxing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to do boxing, do clapping pushups.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Muscle tone doesn't get better without stressing it with resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I wonder what frequency a trained muscle would produce an audible tone at.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Clapping push-ups are hard to do if you are just starting to try and make your arms stronger. Start with regular push-ups. When you have mastered them then move onto variations that are more challenging.
    I started; against a wall, then the kitchen counter, then the dining table, then a chair, then knee push-ups, and finally regular push-ups.
    Start where you feel challenged and progress as you will.
    Don't be intimidated, everyone starts somewhere.
    Cheers, h.
    No expert, just the way I started on improving my arms.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It depends. The word "toning" is incredibly subjective, so it's hard to give a meaningful answer.

Ultimately, shedding body fat will help expose whatever lean tissue you have on your arms. If you do that, and aren't happy with the look/shape/size, then you'll have to do something to sufficiently work the muscles.

Is your question specific to weights/dumbbells? Or are you trying to avoid strength training all together? Things like dips, pull-ups, pushups and all their variations can be great for the arms and don't require weights or significant equipment.