Raw Potatoes Pros and cons?

Options
any one have good are bad experiences with this?

Replies

• 67mirunner
    Options
    I've tried raw potatoes and sweet potatoes as fuel during long runs.....they were rough on my stomach!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I tasted one once. It was very gross. Won't do again.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Um, for what particular purpose? Perhaps there is a diet fad I'm not aware of, but I don't know why one would want to experiment with eating raw potato. Yuck!

Stick to more appetizing foods within your goals. :)
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Ok I am going to confess - I actually like the taste of raw potatoes (I know I am odd for that - but I have ever since I was a kid). I don't eat a lot of them (mainly just because I don't buy and make potatoes that often) but on the rare occasion I do make something with them (mashed potatoes or homemade French fries) I will usually take a little piece off just to eat raw - not a whole potato just a small slice. I find jicama to be very similar. I can't even remember why I first tried a piece (probably the same dumb kid thing that made me try bakers chocolate - that I did not like at all) but yeah, I don't see a problem with it - although I don't know if I would eat a whole raw potato.
  • mshidden
    mshidden Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I am doing eating experiments, with raw foods. Potatoes are also a cheap fuel source, but the stomach thing has me concerned. If you're eating it as a staple, not sure I will do that to start. Just wondering how crazy it sounds right now.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I've done the raw food thing at times. There are lots of more yummy things to eat raw than potatoes, but I don't think it's harmful to eat raw potatoes in small quantities. Ultimately I found doing raw foods unsustainable because I missed so many foods and it was expensive. My friend who was much more into it than I was also ultimately stopped, for the same reasons. But, it can be helpful in the short term sometimes! One thing I took from it is that freshly made veggie/fruit juice (carrot, celery, chard, apple, ginger) is an amazing morning breakfast replacement and energy booster!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Can't say I know of any good reason to eat potatoes raw. However, if you're looking for something with a similar bite and texture, raw jicama is good. You can even make a sort of "cole slaw" with julienne jicama, carrots, and whatever else you may like (mmm, ginger would go good with this). Dress with oil, lemon juice, and season to taste.
  • mshidden
    Options

Linnaea27 wrote: »
    Ultimately I found doing raw foods unsustainable because I missed so many foods and it was expensive.

Expensive? One thing I should point out is that I am not going for taste I am going for foods that taste bad but are nutritious. And I don't want it to be expensive. That would be bad. why was it expensive?

" I missed so many foods" I am a food addict I know this feeling all too well, one of my goals is to deprive my taste buds, to see if I might be able to gain control over my craving, because we should eat to live not live to eat right?

Well at least that is one philosophy. :)
  • mshidden
    Options
    jicama, I will give it a try thanks.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely the odd one out here, but I LOVE raw potatoes. I've loved them ever since I was a kid. My mom & I would munch on potato 'spears' with a dash of salt or season salt on them as she was cutting up potatoes for mashed potatoes or fried potatoes. Seriously one of my favorite odd snacks to this day. It makes my mouth water just typing about it. I've never cut up a potato just to eat a whole one raw, I still generally only eat them when I'm cutting up potatoes for something else - but I don't see the harm in it. I've never heard of raw white (russet, Idaho, etc) potatoes being bad for you, but I have heard of certain varieties of yams, I think, being poisonous raw?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My daughter absolutely loves raw potatoes. However she prefers firmer ones like red potatoes or Yukon gold. She said raw russet potatoes are not as good, especially the skin.
  • mshidden
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    My daughter absolutely loves raw potatoes. However she prefers firmer ones like red potatoes or Yukon gold. She said raw russet potatoes are not as good, especially the skin.
    that is really helpful, I was wondering about that.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Raw potatoes have the potential to turn your stomach into a train wreck.

Just rub a table spoon of oil on the outside, a dash of salt, poke a few holes in them, wrap them in paper towel, and microwave them for 8-12 minutes depending on the size. I don't see why you'd want a raw potato when it takes a few minutes for a tasty cooked one.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • Scrit1944
    Options
    Very nice discussion here. I like to say thanks
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I read once that raw potatoes are slightly poisonous. :/
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Love raw potatoes. Must be that Irish blood. ;)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    One of the women with whom I used to work was a die-hard marathoner and ate raw potatoes every day for lunch (like you would eat an apple!).

I've had bits and pieces when I'm in the kitchen cooking and I find they cause some stomach/intestinal issues for me if I have too much.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Love raw potatoes. Must be that Irish blood. ;)

Same Here! I especially enjoy the red ones.

I have been known to pick potatoes out of the ground, wipe them off on my shirt and just eat like an apple
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I read that if they are green then that's not good. I have been experimenting with potatoes lately as I like French fries that taste almost like potatoes. I stick my potatoes in the microwave for about 7 minutes with a little water and eat them.