Lunch Time Workout Ideas

Options
Do any of you work out over lunch? I get an hour at home, but I never do it because I don't want to get sweaty and go back to work. I'm a morning person but I am having a case of the winter blues and I'm having a lot of trouble getting up in the morning so I'm looking for temporary Plan B. By night time, I get cold and don't want to do anything but sit, curled under a blanket. So a lunch time run is out, treadmill in general would be out. I live in the midwest so sometimes it's nice enough to go outside but others it's not. If the weather is nice enough I could do a walk/run outside, but I can't put a hat on. I am really self conscious about going back to work sweaty and red faced from working out. And then what do you do for quick food? Any thoughts??

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    When I started my whole journey to get fit, I did it by just walking on my two 15 minute breaks and my lunch break. I actually still do that on my breaks but I work through lunch and either run or lift before or after work depending on the time of year and outside temperature. I have the opposite problem here in that in the summer we have temps over 100° so walking outside always leaves me sweaty at that time of the year. So what I did was walk around inside my office building. Up and down the stairs, through the different office spaces, around and around. When the weather is more pleasant, I walk outside.

I don't worry so much about quick food since I can eat at my desk while I work so I don't know that I'll have good ideas. Probably a sandwich or something.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I eat quickly, in about 15 minutes, then go outside for a walk around the office park. Once I really needed to get some cardio minutes in but it was raining, so I did a YouTube video at my desk, but that really only works if you are in an office and can close the door. Pick a workout that doesn't get you too sweaty, and keep baby wipes and deodorant in your desk drawer. Change into a tshirt before the workout, clean up afterward, then put your work clothes back on.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I do my main workout at 4:45 in the morning before work, but I also do a very quick 10-minute cardio type workout at the beginning of my lunch break in my office. I have ideas for mini-workouts posted on my blog if you want to check them out. You can do a couple of them or do them more than once if you have more time than I do.
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    Do you have others at your work that go out walking at lunch time? I work from home now, but I used to work for a large company and didn't have to feel self-conscious because there were a few contingents of lunchtime walkers. It was in an area that gets cold in the winter, but luckily there was a large warehouse where we could walk on the worst days. If you don't have other walkers now, maybe you could interest some of your co-workers.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Moderately intense workouts at lunch are proven to be the best motivators for people who work and better than just walking. I see people in my gym come for an hour workout and leave after 45 minutes to clean up. The recommendation by most fitness organizations and research is to do at least 30 minutes of this kind of workout, so don't skip the warm-up, but do a stretch sometime later in the day.