Replies

• bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I cook with oil.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the flavor of butter, I'm obviously in the minority. It tastes way too strong for me. We use margarine, simply for taste preferences. We do use olive oil - all the time.

But if I liked butter, I'd use it.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Butter and olive oil are staples here. I have Melt spread (it's a mix of butter and coconut oil) when I need something spreadable, and I use the honey one on things like yams and oatmeal because I like how it tastes.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I save bacon grease and cook with it, awesome flavor! om nom nom
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil or coconut oil. I have cholesterol issues so animal fats and butter are a big no no.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    always.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You bet. Butter and olive oil. I just measure REALLY carefully! There are some nutrients in veggies that are better absorbed when consumed with a little fat.

Notice what I said, though. I do not float my veggies in butter or oil. I measure and log a specific amount to drizzle on them to roast or sautee.

It has become pretty clear that we misunderstood the dietary fat/heart disease connection back in the day.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I still cook with oils, but definitely use less than I used to. Oils have two jobs for me: stop sticking, and taste good (okay, yummy delicious). So I'll only use as much as it takes to get the job done, and substitute when neither is really being achieved (I bake with apple sauce or nonfat yogurt in place of most oils because the taste isn't that different to me and the calories are lower).

I have learned also that if I'm buttering toast, I find I get the most flavor out of butter thats not completely melted/absorbed into the bread. So I'll even go so far as to let the toast cool before spreading. Thats maybe silly but it works for me.

I also didn't realize how much I preferred real butter until I went as a guest to a Thanksgiving dinner in a house with only margarine. It was very easy to pass and eat my potatoes and bread plain. For me, ewwwww. Lol.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I always use regular butter. I use several different oils or cooking spray in cooking.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Processed vegetable oils are unnatural to the human body. I stear clear of any safflower, canola, corn, soy oils. I use coconut oil, grass fed butter and ghee, olive oil and occasionally some nut oils like walnut and macadamia. Vegetable oils go rancid easily and there's growing evidence that they are in some part responsible for our current health epidemic. Don't be afraid of fat, it's good for you! Whole food is always best.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Absolutely to both, but I am much more sparing these days as the calories are astronomical.
  • LiveForTheWilderness
    Options
    Of course (keto diet)
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yes to real grass-fed butter! LOVE it! I'd bath in it if I could afford it in large enough quantity. Stuff is so good for you - grass fed fats = omega 3. It cooks better than olive oil since it has a higher temperature point.

I also use olive oil (for roasting veggies). Coconut oil for frying things like fish, eggs - and some veggies. and, Ghee - for when I'm too lazy to get the butter out of the fridge. Ghee's mighty good.

I do Not use any margerines (doesn't matter if they taste similar) - fake tastes and chemicals aren't on my food-plan.

• Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I use butter and oil ALL the time. mmmmmmmmmmm I tried using the fake no calorie stuff instead. BUT you know in the end I love the flavor of the real thing.
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Well yeah, I use butter, olive oil, canola oil bottled and sprayed, and in a pinch, for the other side of the grilled cheese sandwich, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spread. Can't imagine italian food without olive oil, chinese stir fry without canola oil, garlic bread without butter. And a big howdy for the guy who saves bacon fat, that's just too good to toss. With any of these, just not too much at a time, that's all.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I use butter and oils of numerous kinds. I want my food to look and taste as good as it did before I started this new life style otherwise this would not be sustainable for me. The only difference is the amount I use (which really hasn't effected the flavors at all) It's amazing how little you need compared to what most recipes call for. I do count all the calories from all my foods including the butter and oils.
    Our bodies need fat to run smoothly - it lubs the viscera and keeps things moving properly. I haven't cut out anything from my diet - not one thing except the amount I eat and I never EVER allow myself to snack anymore! That's where most of my calories were coming from. 60lb loss is proof that it works.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I only use butter in things that the taste will make a real difference in, like shrimp scampi, or on top of pancakes, or a brown butter sauce for Butternut squash ravioli. Olive or coconut oils are my go tos... Olive if I want to taste it, and coconut if I don't (it has a more neutral flavor).
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it, butter isn't really a huge part of my diet. I'll use it if I sautee garlic/onions but that isn't even something I do frequently. I prefer using olive or grapeseed oil, occasionally sesame oil.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I use butter for baking, but I rarely bake. For cooking I generally use olive oil, but I use butter for certain things that I think taste better with butter, and sometimes sesame oil (again for taste). For frying I usually use peanut oil. For garlic bread I use a mix of butter and olive oil. For toast I generally use only some type of fruit spread, but if I added any fat it would be butter.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your body needs fat for proper body functions. Butter and olive oil is a tasty way to get the fat you need in your diet.