Burning calories after exercise?

Options
I know alot of people on this website eat back their exercise calories-as do I
However, this method doesn't take into account the 'afterburn' calories, i.e the calories burnt after you finish exercising. In alot of studies, it has been proven you continue burning calories even after exercise (well, at least more than you would if you hadn't exercised.)
So what do you guys do about this? Just eat back all your exercise calories then stop? I feel like because of my activity level, there may be a chance that I'm burning more calories naturally everyday when not exercising

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about if those burned calories after exercise exist. Even if you don't eat them back, you'll lose weight faster unknowingly because of the larger caloric deficit.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I eat back most but don't try to push it to the limit. I don't count general activity like house cleaning or gardening. The activity I do count is like running 6 miles or weight lifting.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I've never taken those calories into consideration. I just always eat back whatever calories I exercised off.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's best not to split hairs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't worry abut them - just the same way I don't worry about many calculators, machines and HRMs including your BMR in the number they give for your exercise.
    It's all an estimate that's impossible to verify the accuracy of and so not worth getting obsessive about.

My method - I eat back my exercise calories (all of them) and adjust my calorie goal based on results over time.

If you are losing weight eat more, if you are gaining weight eat less. If you are maintaining within your goal range then BINGO!
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about if those burned calories after exercise exist. Even if you don't eat them back, you'll lose weight faster unknowingly because of the larger caloric deficit.

+1

I do this, and I just accept it as a nice surprise if I lose faster than anticipated.

Honestly, it's very difficult to accurately account for "afterburn" calories, and it's accounted for if you use TDEE.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    One burns calories without exercise. A lot of "afterburn" exaggeration is broscience and doesn't hold up to actual clinical study.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Minutia
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Minutia

bingo

There's probably half a cookie or a slice of cucumber you didn't log that will make up for it.