TDEE - This can't be right!

Options
[img][/img]TDEE.png

Am I really supposed to eat over 1900 calories a day, as long as I hit the protein/carb/fat numbers? Really?? Someone, please, tell me what I'm missing here...

Replies

• azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Where did you find that calculator?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You don't actually have to starve to lose weight. I'd go ahead and try it and after a month if you're not losing then adjust it a bit.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    azwen wrote: »
    Where did you find that calculator?

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    First off, are you sure you have the correct body fat percentage?

And if you do, then yes, it is correct. It will provide you with the right daily target if you provide the correct information......

Remember, calories for weight loss, macros for health.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Bit of an issue with that calculator: 2032 less 15% is 1727, not 1960. I think there might be a glitch there. You can compare with this one if you want to validate:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

But yeah, you can try TDEE minus 15% or 20% for a while and see how you go. A reasonable 20% deficit would put you at 1625, or a 0.8lbs/week rate of loss, which is healthy and sustainable.

Try it for 30-60 days, track and log, and then see if you are losing at the expected rate and adjust upward or downward. Don't forget to update your calculations every 10lbs lost or so.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Hmm. If your TDEE is approximately 2032 calories a day, then eating 1960 puts you at a very small deficit. You'll lose weight that way, but it will take a long time.

Most people who use the TDEE method eat at TDEE - 20% (which for you would be about 1625 calories a day or almost 1lb a week). Make sure when you calculate your TDEE that you include all of your physical activity, including workouts... or, if your workout schedule is unpredictable at the moment, you can calculate your normal activity level before exercise and then eat some of your burned calories back on workout days. :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that's going to give you a very gentle weight loss of about a half a pound to a pound a week. But yeah, probably close. And yes, if your Body Fat Percentage is correct, that's pretty accurate.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you determine your body fat percentage?
  • anashnyc
    anashnyc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Looks right to me. The heavier you are, the more calories you burn in your BMR ( It takes more energy to move a larger frame than smaller one). So as long as you are in a calorie deficit, which is what the TDEE will help you figure out, you will lose weight. As you lose weight and get smaller, you will have to either eat a lot less OR work out longer or harder.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No the maths is off

You cut by 73 calories a day from TDEE and you will lose about 0.5lb every 3-4 weeks ...that's if it's accurate logging

250 cut a day = about 0.5lb per week

Use MFP, scooby or http://www.weightloss-calculator.net
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yep. My stats were quite similar when I started (32, 5'6", 248) and that's about the amount of calories I was eating (though with exercise calories, as I've been following NEAT instead of TDEE). But you can easily eat at a 20% deficit and lose as well.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    No the maths is off

You cut by 73 calories a day from TDEE and you will lose about 0.5lb every 3-4 weeks ...that's if it's accurate logging

250 cut a day = about 0.5lb per week

Use MFP, scooby or http://www.weightloss-calculator.net
    I like this one too:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Looks like there's a math error on the site. If your TDEE is 2032 calories, then TDEE-15% is 1727 calories. That would put you at losing 0.6 pounds per week. You could go more aggressive and do TDEE-20% (1625 calories), which would give you a loss of 0.8 pounds per week. If you want to lose more quickly but not starve, you'd need to increase your TDEE by exercising.
  • jessicav1126
    jessicav1126 Posts: 6
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi Hawt - I recently posted about how to calculate BMR and TDEE. Unless you have actually measured your BF% you may not have an accurate number.

According to the formula I sent you your BMR is 1,875.85. Your TDEE is 2,251.02 Remember that is the number you need to maintain your weight at your current activity level. It takes 3500 calories less then that number a week to burn 1 pound for that week. To make it easier that means you would reduce the number from your TDEE by 500 calories a day which leaves you with 1,751.02 calories. I suggest you start with that number, I think that is the healthiest way to lose weight. Also keep in mind you never want to eat less then 1,200 calories a day. Keep in mind that the number you are getting is for a sedentary lifestyle. When you start to increase your activity level it is possible to lose more then 1 pound per week with this amount of calories.

Also remember to update and recalculate your BMR & TDEE as you lose weight..when you are 10 pounds lighter you don't want to be eating the same amount of calories.

When it comes to calculating Macros ( protein, carbs, and fats) figure out the percentages you want and calculate by hand. IF you know that you want to eat 1 gram of protein per pound and each gram of protein has 4 calories then the number of calories you will receive from protein is 980 calories. To calculate fat (going from the information you entered into the calculator you want to eat 0.45g per pound which gives you 992.25 calories from fat.. which will actually put you over your calories for the day.. I think the amount of fat you want in your diet is a bit high. I would scale it back to about 20 percent of your weight or about 441 calories from fat or 49 grams of fat. That will leave you with 330 calories from carbs or 82.4 grams of carbs.

Sorry this is so long winded..I hope this can help you out a bit
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Stick with 1727 (-15%) then you can still lose weight and not starve. Yes, it's possible. :)
  • jessicav1126
    Options
    Just saw i got marked for spam..edited my post..

Didn't know that it was against forum rules to post links.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Lots of people get mad and flag random posts. Welcome to the internet. :p
  • jessicav1126
    Options
    Lol who knew math equations would get people mad? ;)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

:laugh:

It's not against the rules and I didn't see anything wrong with your link. Looked like just a blog post about the math used to calculate TDEE.

• Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    as long as you input the right numbers yes that is right, i am 5'3" and weigh 190 and eat 2510 calories a day so just depends on activity level. good luck on your journey, its much better to use this method and eat more than to eat little and have no energy!
  • jessicav1126
    Options

:laugh:

It's not against the rules and I didn't see anything wrong with your link. Looked like just a blog post about the math used to calculate TDEE.

I erased it for good measure. Thanks for clearing it up for me :)