eating olive oil

Options
I have been adding olive oil to my dishes, mainly dip a whole grain bread in it and eat it. I absolutely love it but I am wondering if its worth the spike in calories.....like how much is too much in a day? Are there lower calorie versions that are just as good for you. I have been using extra virgin.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin makes no difference whatsoever in calories. It's just about the flavour. All oils are fats that have 9 calories per gram, no exceptions.

If you enjoy bread dipped in a bit of olive oil and it fits in your calories and macros, go for it! I agree, it's delicious. Just measure out the quantities carefully.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Fat has the same calories regardless of the source. Fat is a necessary nutrient, and it makes food taste better and helps with satiety. So, yes it's worth the calories. Just don't go crazy with it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's worth it if you like it. Extra virgin oil is good for you, although there are some rumors (?) out there saying that most of what is sold as olive oil here is not actually the good stuff.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It's worth it if you like it. Extra virgin oil is good for you, although there are some rumors (?) out there saying that most of what is sold as olive oil here is not actually the good stuff.

It's not just a rumor. When it comes it evoo, domestic is best if you're in the US.

http://consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/09/how-to-find-the-best-extra-virgin-olive-oil/index.htm
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Fat has the same calories regardless of the source. Fat is a necessary nutrient, and it makes food taste better and helps with satiety. So, yes it's worth the calories. Just don't go crazy with it.

So essentially there isnt going to be another oil to use instead.

Calorie wise, I'm not sure it's worth it. =\

Some every now and then is fine, but if you're eating 6-8tbs just from olive oil a day you may want to evaluate accordingly.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    well, why don't you just log it and find out?
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I prefer grapeseed oil myself because it doesn't have a taste at all and has a higher smoke point. I used to use olive oil but it's heavy taste does not go with everything.

Calorie wise, fat is fat it's going to be the same for any oil.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about oil and balsamic vinegar? Get all the taste and fewer calories. I dose out my fats like medicine, it packs such a heavy punch.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It's not just a rumor. When it comes it evoo, domestic is best if you're in the US.

http://consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/09/how-to-find-the-best-extra-virgin-olive-oil/index.htm
    That is one thing I want to learn to make at home.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As others have said, if you like the taste, then it's worth it. Just be sure that you're logging it accurately.

I know I gained a TON of weight a number of years back when I was living with my dad and he had some Italian clients. He used to come home after working for them with freshly baked bread and olive oil from Italy. This happened a few times each week. I wasn't counting calories then and was dipping a lot of delicious freshly baked bread into delicious Italian olive oil. I miss those days. But not the weight...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The very best quality olive oil is extra virgin--cold press. There is going to be a big shortage of olive oil here in Italy. There isn't much of a crop this year due to an extremely warm, wet year. We are going to have to do with last years stores which probably won't last until next fall. Prices are already on the rise. We can only hope next year is better. :'(
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I make a point to use olive oil wherever I can. There are a lot of benefits to eating olive oil. As long as you're logging it and it fits your calories and macros, there's no need to reduce how much you eat. The only time you're eating "too much" is if it's causing you to exceed your calorie/fat macro goals (or leaving you so few calories outside of the oil that you can't meet your nutritional/satiety needs).
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    The very best quality olive oil is extra virgin--cold press. There is going to be a big shortage of olive oil here in Italy. There isn't much of a crop this year due to an extremely warm, wet year. We are going to have to do with last years stores which probably won't last until next fall. Prices are already on the rise. We can only hope next year is better. :'(

Does the quality also have to do with if it is the first press and from what regions the olives came from ?

• consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    They actually name the brands that made the Consumers Report cut here: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2013/03/04/would-the-real-olive-oil-please-stand-up/

Looks like the non-legit big name brand stuff funneled through Italy is being cut with soybean oil and beta carotene. Not cool.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Stupid question...

How does EVOO not make a difference in the calorie department?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Stupid question...

How does EVOO not make a difference in the calorie department?

All we meant was, EVOO vs. regular olive oil = no difference.

Of course, EVOO vs. not eating any at all = big difference.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think she just meant that using extra virgin vs. regular makes no difference, as all oil is basically just fat and has the same calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They actually name the brands that made the Consumers Report cut here: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2013/03/04/would-the-real-olive-oil-please-stand-up/

Looks like the non-legit big name brand stuff funneled through Italy is being cut with soybean oil and beta carotene. Not cool.

Yeah... that's why I take it with a pinch of salt when people tell you to eat olive oil because it's good for you. I don't think I've ever seen any of the brands that passed that test, lol.

At the same time, I cannot stand olives, so maybe I wouldn't like the real stuff anyway.
  • SkinnyCat39
    SkinnyCat39 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the above link! ;-)
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    We get olive oil from a local market that labels the individual bottles (repacked from the wholesale packaging, presumably) with press dates marked and polyphenol testing. (Polyphenols, like the rest of the antioxiants in olive oil degrade fairly quickly after pressing.)

We bought a Chilean olive oil with really high polyphenols. OMG, it has a TASTE. It's good, but intense and bitey ... it's not something you'd cook with or make mayo out of. I can't imagine being able to eat enough of it to make a material difference health-wise.