Losing Weight is not a Goal

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
I see lots of posts where the dieter sets a goal to lose a certain number of pounds, sometimes within a short time-frame. Understandable, considering that's the first thing MFP does is ask you to set a target weight.

I've learned however that target weights do not have the elements of a good goal. Good goals are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-Sensitive (SMART). They also have to be fully under your control.

Weight gain and loss, though a calorie deficit will eventually lead to losses, is not linear. Eat a "good" week, and it may not show on the scale. Cheat like crazy and for some reason the scale goes down. Do you really want to tie your happiness/success to the freaking scale?

Even though I continue to weigh in once a week (it's a simple standard measure), I try not to tie my success to that gosh-darn scale. Rather I pick weekly goals to modify my behavior. Now THAT is fully under my control. I set weekly goals so I can check in regularly and adjust as necessary. A typical goal may be "Work out for at least twenty minutes, aerobic activity, three times this week", or, "Portion out my snacks on the weekend first thing in the morning." Measuring my success that way and recording my Non-Scale Victories (NSV's) is far more satisfying.

When I had my very first NSV (I didn't even know what that was) I was so pumped I talked about it for days. I still bring up the story in mixed company. And I blogged about it.

jgnatbuzz.blogspot.ca/2014/01/old-lady-revives.html

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    So true. I always in the past cut calories to lose weight but never modify my behaviour for the long haul.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for a plateau to modify my behavior :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I definitely agree that the number on the scale is not something that any ego should be tied to. Developing a good relationship with food is, I think, just as, if not more, important than your actual weight. Developing those good habits with food and fitness is more important than a number, and doing so should drop that number as a side effect anyway.

My own goal is to drop my bodyfat percentage and gain muscle. I have some very specific goals regarding developing certain abilities (pull ups, foot-elevated push-ups, one-arm pushups, etc....I wanna be kind of a badass...very long term goal). I have no idea what those things will cause my weight to be, and I don't care. I picked a number which is a little under the high end of the healthy range for my height, but I don't care if I every hit it, since it's completely secondary to my actual goals.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    fearlessleader, congrats on steady loss!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    SnuggleSmacks, I can relate because the goals that make me happy these days is to train for and participate in various fun runs (some not so fun). The weeks I train more, my weight loss slows. Frustrating. But I won't give up this new lifestyle to satisfy the scale and the experts who are monitoring my progress.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for a plateau to modify my behavior :)

i do this.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes, THIS. The body is not a simple equation and health does not equal weight. I am working on my habits, letting the weight fall where it may and making a conscious choice to love my body whatever the scale says. This is what I believe is my best path to health. Yes, I am losing, but I am trying not to get too wrapped up in that number and not base my self-esteem on it.

People are free to choose whatever goals they want, and I respect that. But I have a lot more control as to whether I take a walk than as to what the scale says.