Protein help

2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Mcbeal1230 wrote: »
    I thought protein was supposed to help suppress hunger- I had a protein shake for breakfast, a healthy lunch including a greek yogurt, and I have still felt extremely hungry. Is it because I am just starting? Will it get better?

Mcbeal you are correct about proteins curbing hunger based on studies of the Atkins diet. It worked in part because people ate fewer calories because all the protein made them less hungry.

Carbs give us a fast buzz but do not have the staying power as say proteins so we sag and the brain kicks our butts to go to find it more food.

It is not really that simple. I was hungry all of the time until I cut out most carbs. Yes I thought I was going to die but then getting hungry was never again life controlling.

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    I find protein powders on there own not to filling but if you mix it with oats and peanut butter or almond butter different story. You need to find a balance of fats carbs and proteins. It's different for everyone. Play around with meals.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    I feel the most full if I've eaten some fat. Carbs do nothing for me, but make me hungrier. Protein helps for me, but not like a little fat. So a little guacamole or peanut butter or some nuts make me full .

Also, once you get used to eating less it will be a lot easier to actually eat less and not feel hungry.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Also drinking protein instead of eating it will likely make you hungrier sooner. Liquids empty out of your stomach faster than solids, so your stomach will literally be empty sooner if you are drinking a meal instead of eating. Maybe at least combine it with some solid food...