Gainers: What are your goto foods?

Options
To gain weight. I'm not interested in gaining any but thought
I might ask which foods you all do use to get your weight up.
I'll do better to avoid such foods. (I'm close to maintenance and
just taking my final losses slow. My body seems to burn better
with more lately too. I'm hoping to not ruin it).
Thanks for sharing yours! :)

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Liquid calories is my worst enemy.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Surplus calorie foods.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Avoid whatever foods that will put you in a surplus overall. Not a specific food.

I've got to say that this thread is the worst use of the weight gain forum I've seen to date. This section is going to slowly lose its luster. This week has been very revealing.

I'm completely confused by the OP...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Avoid whatever foods that will put you in a surplus overall. Not a specific food.

I've got to say that this thread is the worst use of the weight gain forum I've seen to date. This section is going to slowly lose its luster. This week has been very revealing.

yeah- this just makes me sad.

OP- most of us use our favorite foods to go into surplus- the type of food is irrelevant- I tend to avoid extremely high calorie foods on a regular basis- because- I'm cutting. So while I love pizza- I don't eat it every day- when I'm bulking.. all bets are off.

Liquid calories tend to put you over quickly- as well as small munchy type snacks- pringles- pretzles- nuts- these types of things.

Just watch what you put in your pie hole and you'll be fine.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    OP, my go to foods are all food. So I guess you should avoid all food.

FTW!!!!!!!! :+1:

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

I actually agree with you 100% on this. At first when I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be a question of what foods do those of us trying to gain weight rely on most.

• Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    To gain weight. I'm not interested in gaining any but thought
    I might ask which foods you all do use to get your weight up.
    I'll do better to avoid such foods. (I'm close to maintenance and
    just taking my final losses slow. My body seems to burn better
    with more lately too. I'm hoping to not ruin it).
    Thanks for sharing yours! :)

Uhh....

Calories over maintenance = weight gain

Calorie deficit = weight loss

There are no "foods to get your weight up".

There are excessive portions of food that will get your weight up.

So why would you avoid calorie dense food when all you need to do is moderate your intake?

• 1mountainmama
    Options
    I'm a dietitian and I work a lot with patients who cannot keep their weight up and/or need to gain weight. High fat foods are a go-to because they can be highly nutritious and they are high in calories compared to other foods. And no, you should not avoid these foods if you are trying to lose or maintain. Just watch your portions. ;)
    Healthy High-Fat foods: Nuts and nut butters, oils (oils are a staple because you can put them on/in anything) such as olive oil, avocado oil, walnut oil, Hummus (when used very liberally). Making smoothies is also a great way to get 500-1000 calories down pretty easily. Milk (or substitute), yogurt, or ice cream with fruit, coconut oil, chocolate, extra protein, whatever. You can put anything in a smoothie. I even like avocado in it. Hope that helps.
  • Dared2Evolve
    Dared2Evolve Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Liquid calories is my worst enemy.

I'm good at avoiding those. :)
  • Dared2Evolve
    Dared2Evolve Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    I guess I worded it wrong. My curiosity was which foods would someone trying to
    gain weight eat more of. Like would they concentrate on specifics or a macro? I
    know some people have carb loaded. It was not meant to be taken negatively.
    Sorry if that is how it sounded.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the answer to the question to that is
    you're favorite high calorie food(s).

or- just more of what you really like.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - just stop eating and you should be fine….as all foods lead to calorie surplus, which leads to weight gain ….
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Just eat smaller portions of all the foods. Done. Sigh...
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Interested in this too, but think the original angle of your request is a rather odd way to come about it.

In any case, I'm in for the replies, as I have a friend that needs to gain weight after a medical procedure, and it's not something that they find easy. So, definitely here to pick up any suggestions I may not have before :smile:

My own contribution to the thread, would be simple carbs like starches and things with decent amounts added sugar. That stuff I've always found it easier to overeat on, and I would argue most people are probably the same. Less calorically dense than fat I agree, but easier to put away volume, I would argue.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    What? English is a second language for me but sometimes it just sounds alien. You are seriously asking people who are trying to gain what kind of foods they eat so you can avoid them in fear of gaining. Come again?