5X5 Workouts.....

I am extremely intrigued by this workout and have been researching it over the past week. I am not expecting huge gains or giant bulky muscles because I am a 43 year old female, and also I am in fat loss mode. I am however looking to maintain my current muscle and get stronger. I am curious about others who have done this workout, and what is the good/bad you have experienced. I lift 3 times a week and I feel its time to switch things up to keep this old body guessing.

Replies

• AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    Big fan of 5x5 lifts. I usually throw in 2-3 light warm up sets and then go into my five working sets. These work best for compound exercises for like presses, deadlifts, and squats. Smaller muscle groups, I would stick to more in the 8-12 rep range.

These really are great for both strength and endurance, not necessarily for growth. However, you will hit your fast-twitch muscle fibers this way and certainly won't hurt fat loss in any way as your body will still burn more calories at an accelerated rate while protein synthesis is kicked up.
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Romey84 wrote: »
    Big fan of 5x5 lifts. I usually throw in 2-3 light warm up sets and then go into my five working sets. These work best for compound exercises for like presses, deadlifts, and squats. Smaller muscle groups, I would stick to more in the 8-12 rep range.

Is there one program you like better than another? Currently I am looking at the Ice Cream 5x5 plan. Also, maybe a dumb question, but do you feel certain muscle groups being overused doing the same large muscle groups every other day. I ask this because currently I do 1 body group once a week:

Monday: Back, Bi's and Shoulders
    Wed: Legs
    Friday Chest and Tri's

5x5 seem to work more major muscle groups more often, which is probably a good thing right?
  • thismamarox
    Sorry Romey...new to the "quote thing"
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Sounds like a perfect fit for you. I did 5x5 for a long time and had good progress with it.
  • thismamarox
    I am starting it on Sunday (for some reason that is always the "start" date) I figure that it really doesn't hurt to be as informed as possible. My gym does not have Barbells any heavier than 60 pounds...can you do most of these on a Smith Machine???
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I'd suggest doing dumbbell versions before doing them on the smith machine. Is that an option?
  • AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    I am a big fan of upper/lower routines over a four day split. I usually keep to the 8-10 rep range, but when going for strength I will pick my first compound lift and do a 5x5 for it. Following this overall plan allows for an ideal 48hr recovery (for me, at least) before hitting muscles again. =)
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    These lifts are meant to be done with a barbell, not a dumbbell. You should be able to add plates to each side of the barbell to increase the weight on them. Don't forget though, you're also lifting the weight of the bar, so that gets added onto your weight.

I would not suggest the Smith machine past a very novice level just getting used to how to perform the lifts. The two problems with the Smith is that it does not allow for natural range of motion, and therefore does not work stabilizer muscles.

This can both leave you injured, and hurt any, if not all strength gains.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    I've done it. I like it. I will probably go back to it.
  • thismamarox
    Oh yeah! I usually do squats on the Smith Machine, and bench presses with dumbells AND on the Smith Machine... I am in that in between stage of lifting where I am too strong for the 60 pound Barbell and so I am trying to find that perfect niche. I can do the bent over row and Bench Presses currently with 35 pound dumbells. I don't really like the Smith Machine because there really isn't any give...so I spend more time trying to position myself, and it still feels weird. Is there a better way to do squats without the Smith Machine???
  • thismamarox
    edited December 2014
    These lifts are meant to be done with a barbell, not a dumbbell. You should be able to add plates to each side of the barbell to increase the weight on them. Don't forget though, you're also lifting the weight of the bar, so that gets added onto your weight.

I would not suggest the Smith machine past a very novice level just getting used to how to perform the lifts. The two problems with the Smith is that it does not allow for natural range of motion, and therefore does not work stabilizer muscles.

• peachyfuzzle
    You should be doing large movements such as squats, deadlifts, and the two SL presses with free weights. Squats should be done in the squat rack for safety. People are generally split on whether it is acceptable to bench press in the squat rack, or not. The barbell row, deadlift, and overhead press do not require the rack though.

The only lift in SL that might not be too bad in the Smith is the barbell row.
  • thismamarox
    My Gym does not have Barbells. We have the solid one piece ones that only go to 60 pounds (I know...weird!) So I am limited to light weights, dumbell's or the Smith Machine O.o
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Honestly- you're only going to get but so far doing a program based on compound lifts at a gym that doesn't allow for progressive loading.

So- do the best you can with the dumbbells- then find a new gym.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    My Gym does not have Barbells. We have the solid one piece ones that only go to 60 pounds (I know...weird!) So I am limited to light weights, dumbell's or the Smith Machine O.o

Hmm... you can use those till you increase to that... afterwards you might want to consider switching gyms.
  • peachyfuzzle
    Well, if you're limited to only light weights, SL probably won't be a good fit because it is based on progressive overload meaning that the weight you lift gets heavier each day you perform that specific lift.

If you are absolutely unable to join a gym, or create a small home gym that has real barbell style freeweights with either a power/squat rack, then you might want to look more into something like bodyweight fitness.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited December 2014

Granted, freeweights are superior in most cases - Smiths were designed to permit a safety factor.

Some gyms simply do not have free barbells, relying on Smith machines. In that case the suggestion leaves a person with the conundrum of finding another gym.

I am a novice at 5x5 so I discussed this problem with a person who has done 5x5 successfully for years entirely on the machines. Was it perfectly optimal? No. Was there progress? Most definitely. When the freeweights are all in use, I often use a Smith machine. I don not have the luxuries of waiting until the freeweights are available nor of finding another gym.

Then there is the question what does one consider a novice level? The first 10 lifts? Half bodyweight squats? Depending on age, current fitness, and previous experience, a Smith may be suitable for a long time.

The Smith machines are not evil. They are just tools. Use what you got.
  • thismamarox
    You guys have all been a great help!!!! DAMN YOU PLANET FITNESS FOR KILLING MY WORKOUT DREAMS! I like Planet Fitness for the fact I pay up front and it's cheap, but come on... what other Gym doesn't have a real Barbell rack??? I might have to look at other Gym's if this is what I want to do....frustrating
  • peachyfuzzle
    ukaryote wrote: »

Granted, freeweights are superior in most cases - Smiths were designed to permit a safety factor.

Some gyms simply do not have free barbells, relying on Smith machines. In that case the suggestion leaves a person with the conundrum of finding another gym.

I am a novice at 5x5 so I discussed this problem with a person who has done 5x5 successfully for years entirely on the machines. Was it perfectly optimal? No. Was there progress? Most definitely. When the freeweights are all in use, I often use a Smith machine. I don not have the luxuries of waiting until the freeweights are available nor of finding another gym.

Then there is the question what does one consider a novice level? The first 10 lifts? Half bodyweight squats? Depending on age, current fitness, and previous experience, a Smith may be suitable for a long time.

The Smith machines are not evil. They are just tools. Use what you got.

I don't disregard the "use what you got" mentality, but when you're lifting heavy weights, safety should be the absolute #1 factor. The Smith is designed for "safety" in the way that sure, you don't need a spotter for anything because you can bail out on a lift by just turning your wrist. However, when you're talking about actual safety in lifting, it is notorious for all sorts of injuries when using them, and when applying the hopefully growing strength to real life situations.

If it is all you have at the time, and you're not going very heavy, then have at it. But, if you plan on sticking to an actual program, the Smith machine can be, and is, very dangerous.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    planet fitness- this is my not surprised face :|

PF is a great 2nd gym- and it's going to get you started now just fine- so don't write it off completely- just realize it's really limited and at some point you'll have to upgrade gyms.