Is it really my age?

Options
For the past 7 days I have been eating meals that I made up ahaed of time. Before I put them together I counted all the calories so I wouldn't be going over 1200 cal and 40 grams of fat. I haven't been able to exercise this week due to an injury, so I haven't needed to add any calories. I haven't lost AT ALL! In fact, I GAINED! I have been working out regularly for 4 months, watching my calories, and really trying to focus, but I have only lost 6lbs. I should be losing more. I have enough weight to lose it should be coming off easier I think. My mother thinks it's my age 34. Any suggestions?

Replies

• melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    no, I don't think it's your age. I think you have too many fat grams. Try to stop at 30g for fat and also get 30g for fiber.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Could be age, but you're pretty young.

It might be any of the following:

*Cals consumed, to many? not enough? Eating some workout cals back? too many? not enough?
    *Enough water each day? more when you're working out!
    *Week of your period or week before, maybe holding water?
    *Too much sodium?
    *Enough veggies, greens, fruits, mix up your diet (foods etc. is what I mean)
    * Enough protein, over your protein level?

Could be many factors, might check out some of the above, it might be age (but to me 34 is young to pin it on age, but I could certainly be mistaken), might be hormones shifting, health issues, had a check up lately? Thyroid? Birth control pill?

Ok, that's what I got that it might be any of 100 other things, most above are within your control to check out and see what you can switch out to see if it helps.:flowerforyou:

Good luck Jillian,
    Becca
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    OH! I should have looked at your ticker first! You're trying to lose only 20 lbs and are down 6? That's gonna slow the loss down, the less you have to lose the more your body wants to hang on a bit longer, I didn't see an open diary so couldn't check that out for you. Melanie could be onto something, 40 fats grams might be to high for you, depending also on what types of fats they are.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    if you let us know what you are eating that may help!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    For the past 7 days I have been eating meals that I made up ahaed of time. Before I put them together I counted all the calories so I wouldn't be going over 1200 cal and 40 grams of fat. Any suggestions?
    Yes. EAT MORE! You're probably not losing because you aren't feeding your body enough food for its daily functions so it's holding on to that 40g of fat and slowing down your metabolism to conserve energy and use up less fat. You must eat more than 1200 calories a day to prevent this. Since you weren't exercising this week, you weren't increasing your calorie deficit so the next thing I would look at is sodium. If you're over and not drinking at least 64 ounces of water a day, then you're body is also retaining water.

Good luck!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight on 1200 calories, it's time to eat and drink more. Make sure your salt isn't too high and bump your calories up (maybe slow your weight loss to only 0.5 lbs per week).

Your fat is around 30% which is pretty average so it shouldn't make you gain weight. As long as your fats are coming from healthy sources, I don't see a need to change it.
  • hannah_lin
    hannah_lin Posts: 54
    Options
    I try to eat at least 40 grams of fiber a day, and I think that really helps. Maybe try that out. Also, I try to skip around a bit. One day 1000, one day 1200, and one day 1400-- I think sometimes that keeps my body guessing a little more and keeps my metabolism up.
    Good luck!!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    For the past 7 days I have been eating meals that I made up ahaed of time. Before I put them together I counted all the calories so I wouldn't be going over 1200 cal and 40 grams of fat. I haven't been able to exercise this week due to an injury, so I haven't needed to add any calories. I haven't lost AT ALL! In fact, I GAINED! I have been working out regularly for 4 months, watching my calories, and really trying to focus, but I have only lost 6lbs. I should be losing more. I have enough weight to lose it should be coming off easier I think. My mother thinks it's my age 34. Any suggestions?

a week isn't really that much time. some people can drop weight quickly, but sometimes it takes longer. i eat 1288 calories a day and consistantly lose one pound a month. it may seem slow, but i don't mind. slow and steady wins the race. if you have lost 6 pounds in 4 months, you are losing 1.5 pounds a month or a little bit more than a third of a pound a week.
    dawn
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    It's not your age. I'm 48 and I am losing weight. Try playing with the calories you are eating
  • Troutman
    Troutman Posts: 28
    Options
    I would mix the calories up. 1,200 * 7 = 8,400 for the week. I would have less calories some days & more other days. Just to add up to your 8,400 for the week.

Really most likely it's you age. Just kidding.
  • Jillian
    Jillian Posts: 88
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I did make my food diary public. What I ate on sunday was what I've been eating for the week. I'm going to be changing it up this week, I'll try less fat first, and on some days I'll add some calories. Hopefully that will do something!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you're eating the same exact thing everyday, it's possible your body got used to it and you're not getting enough of OTHER nutrients so your body could be holding. Also, I agree with the fats... just because you're getting your allotted amount, if they're not healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, almonds, etc. versus french fries, full fat ground beef, etc.) your body could be "gaining" or holding because of that.

With water... a lot of people think 8-8 ounce cups of water is enough but it's not. Everyone's body is different so you really need to find your magic number. For me, I lose easiest when I drink at least 120 oz. and then if I do go over my sodium, I don't retain water but for a couple days because my body has already been heavily hydrated.

I did notice in your diary...you need to be eating a lot more protein than that. Try 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. This is what works for me (again, everyone's different - BUT, one thing is for sure) but everyone needs more than 40g of protein.