Ideas with potatoes...

Options
GingerbreadCandy
GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
I got a bag of 4kg of potatoes at a discount price, and they are starting to grow sprouts and I still have half the bag left. I love potatoes, but I find myself at loss with what to do with them other than a salad or using them as a side-dish. So I am in desperate need for recipes that have potatoes as a main dish. :smile:

Anyone has some ideas for a healthy recipe with potatoes as a main course? Please note that I don't eat dairy products...

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Shepherd's pie, family favourite. Freezable too.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Baked fries. Use olive oil spray and salt. 400 degree on a baking pan and flip half way through.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Cut them up into wedges or cubes and toss them with just enough olive oil to coat. Then, use use garlic powder, kosher salt, onion powder, oregano, and black pepper to season them. Bake in the oven until crispy/cooked.

Easy side dish for breakfast or dinner.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Shepherd's pie, family favourite. Freezable too.

Oooooh... I have actually wanted to do that for a while now. Never tried doing it before. I'll give it a shot!
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    Boil them until tender with the peelings on, and then smash them flat on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and seasoning and crisp them up in the oven. I like mine with salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Cut them in cubes and pan fry them for 30 minutes with a couple teaspoons of olive oil
    Baked fries
    Mashed potatoes
    Peeled and baked with cheese on top (especially raclette... YUM)
    I second shepherd's pie for a main dish (really no idea of another main dish with potatoes though, maybe try a google search?).
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    blend with cauliflower into a soup!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Boil them until tender with the peelings on, and then smash them flat on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and seasoning and crisp them up in the oven. I like mine with salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.

This ! so good ! the only thing I do differently is I poke the spud with a fork a few times then microwave for a couple of mins

I think these are called smashed potatoes? You can add all kinds of toppings
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I make Caulipots. Two russets per half head of cauliflower. Boil or steam potatoes and cauliflower, mash add salt and minced garlic to taste.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

^^These are great !
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Leek and potato soup is amazing. Just fry the sliced leeks in a little butter first, throw in the chopped potatoes then add chicken stock or veggie stock if you prefer. Cook till potato is very soft and puree. Add a little pepper and cream or if worried about the calories use canned evaporated skim milk or even just milk to make it creamy.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Potato soup, and Pan-cooked home fries are some of my favorites.

Also, I recently came up with something new too. I scrub the skins, but leave them on and poke some holes in them with a fork. Then I zap them in the microwave for about 2-4 min per potato so that they are partially cooked but still a bit too firm to eat. Just stop the microwave occasionally and test with fork, and add more time or less time as needed. Then I half or quarter them lengthwise, and then coat in olive oil, and sprinkle on various spices like lemon powder, pressed garlic, salt, black crushed pepper, rosemary, etc. Then I put them on the grill on medium heat, and turn them after each side is nice and toasted with grill marks. I suppose one could do this in a pan or on a broiler too, but it probably won't have that smokey goodness from grill.

I call these Archie's Famous Grill-fired potatoes.

Unfortunately, it IS a side dish, but it really takes a prime role in the meal!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Make potatoe leek soup.
    Wash and slice leeks. Peel and slice potatoes. Saute leeks in olive oil til tender. Add potatoes cover with chicken stock. Bring to a boil and cook til potatoes are tender. About 20 minutes. Blend with immersion blender. Add a cup of skim milk. Serve warm or cold.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options
    No more than now have I been frustrated at a lack of a "like" button in Myfitnesspal. ^^ Thank you all for the great suggestions!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I second shepherd's pie for a main dish (really no idea of another main dish with potatoes though, maybe try a google search?).

Google is not much of help there either unfortunately… or well, most recipes involve putting tons of cheese on them, which I can't do due to being lactose intolerant and not liking cheese int he first place. :(
  • setee77
    setee77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Indian food has a lot of recipes with potato (aloo) if you like Indian. Today, I had potato curry with spring onions and homemade naan.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Doh I missed the lactose intolerant part.

I second the potato leek soup!
  • SHYGIRL8185
    SHYGIRL8185 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my house loves roasted potatoes like the ones missiontofitness posted. A lot of times I'll add onions, too. Even people who don't like onion usually do when it's roasted because they get sweet and lose their sharp onion flavor. Just make sure you keep the oven at about 400. 450 seems too hot for regular potatoes. If you like potato salad, that's a quick easy side, too. You chop them (you can keep the skin on or peel them) and boil for about 15 to 20 minutes. I usually add boiled egg, light mayo, yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish, salt, pepper, and a tiny amount of sugar. I know that mayo isn't super healthy, but if you use light and don't use too much, it's really not a bad way to go...plus it sneaks in some protein.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Gingerbread, you may try some of those potato recipes you found, simply cutting out the cheese. Maybe replace with a little crushed, roasted garlic.
  • rdroot
    rdroot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes freeze very well. Use low sodium chicken stock instead of dairy to get them to your favorite consistency. If you're storing in a large freezer bag, you can portion the mashed potatoes by pressing down on the outside of the bag to create separate rows of MPs. The frozen MPs will snap apart more easily if you're just looking for a serving or two.