Calorie dense, easily digestible foods?

Options
I have a medical condition that means I don't digest food well. I have a processing issue, not an absorption issue. Tracking for the last few days and the degree of weight loss tells me I need to squeeze about another 500+ calories into each day.

I could really use food/meal/snack/drink/etc ideas that are:

Low-fiber (I'm supposed to target 10g of fiber/day, and struggle to stay below 15g)
Low solid fat. Fats that are liquid at body temperature (as consumed) seem to be ok. Heavy cream is great. Heavy cream cooked into eggs or baked goods is terrible. Marbled meat fat seems ok, but chunks of meat fat are difficult.
Not hard in texture - this is mostly things like whole nuts, raw vegetables, etc.
Calorie dense - My target is 250-400 calories per cup.

Nutritionally redeeming, solid food and lower sugar are bonuses. I have a case of ensure, but would really like to fix this without resorting to ensure or a milkshake a day.

Last time things slipped like this, I added a lot of smoothies to my diet, but in the cold weather, I find them unpleasant. I'm trending toward food aversions, so any suggestions are appreciated.

(Yes, I can go see a dietitian and will if I need to - it's just going to take 4-6 weeks to get an appointment this time of year.)

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nut butters?

Eta
    Whole milk greek yogurt
    Guacamole and sour cream in the side of one of your meals?
    Whole milk dairy prods like cottag cheese or any cheese
    Smthg like cream soups or broccoli cheddar soup?
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Nut butters tend to be a little problematic - I can do a tablespoon or two. I should make sure to eat that tablespoon or two most days, though. Nut butter in milkshakes and sauces seems to be best.

The rest, yeah, that's my daily life. And mayo. Lean meats dipped in mayo-based sauces. Chips or crackers scooping up tablespoons of guac. There's not a single low fat or sugar-free item in my house.

I think this was really a whiny post. :) Eating in the range of "not hungry" to "uncomfortably full" wears on me after awhile, and I think that I'm hoping for a magic food that I've never heard of before.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Cream based soups? Kind of the opposite of milkshakes and should keep you warm. Mashed potatoes with heavy cream and skinned or scalloped potatoes (not sure how much fiber is in potatoes). Buttermilk pancakes, cheeses, rice, spaghetti (cream sauces should help).
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    White breads, some crackers, cooked veggies.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Jello with Cool Whip?

I can't think of any low fiber, liquid at room temperature fat, soft foods with 250-400 calories per cup. Sorry.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    is rice low fiber enough? you could make a delicious super cream laden risotto that's 1) warm and 2) fatty.
  • chouflour
    Options
    Oh, I haven't done risotto in awhile. That's a good idea, thanks!

Crackers with my soups is a good idea too - they seem to add a nice dose of calories and sort of melt into the soup without bring much substance.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    If mayo is okay for you, how about potato salad? You can boil the potatos well (and mash it if necessary), and add in some light seasoning as well. I usually add raw onion and celery to mine, but if those aren't okay for you, I don't see boiling them doing any harm to the recipe.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    How about a ground beef (chicken/turkey) curry made with coconut milk or yogurt it has spices but not hot?

By accident I had this the other day and loved it for my winter version of yogurt, 2oz bluberries cooked in the microwave let cool slightly then mix into it half a cup of yougurt. It was lovely and warm.

Warm some coconut milk (not water) and grate some nutmeg over it, or put a couple of cardamon pods in, yummy before bed.

Trying to think of something that is different for you is really hard.
    good luck,
    Cheers, h.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Do you do ok with coconut oil? Its a liquid at 72 degrees I think. My children are on a high calorie diet and we add coconut oil to just about anything. It can even be tasteless if you go with one that is highly refined.
  • chouflour
    Options
    Coconut milk drinks and coconut oil are good ideas. I could probably do a coconut milk chai or cocoa that would work too.

Today I'm trying chicken gravy out of condensed cream of chicken soup and heavy cream - we'll see how that goes. If I put it over roast chicken breast, it ends up ~ 370 calories per 3/4 cup.