Knees popping

Options
My knees have recently started "popping". This is not something I have really experienced before. I have been doing a lot more flexibility training lately, as my flexibility has always been pretty terrible. Its improved some with these stretches (nothing fancy, just basics), but now I have this popping in my knees. Its not painful, but just a little disturbing. Wondering if the two might be related somehow?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Probably not, if it's crepitus, it's just a matter of getting old.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    I should say... they seem to pop in lateral movements. Not when bending the knee. But I didn't experience this before I started agressively trying to improve my flexibility.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lateral? Hm... how is stability?

If it's not painful, or causing any performance impingement, I'd still chalk it up to crepitus, unless presented with a symptom that impacted my use of it.

Make sense?
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    Its pretty stable. I don't feel a loss of strength, and I don't notice it really when I am working out. But its very noticeable when I am say, standing in the shower or in front of the stove... and I shift my weight from one foot to the other, and POP. Quite noticeable then, and not really painful per se, but annoying and uncomfortable. I sort of have physical priorities... and hiking is my #1 favorite thing to do. I am just concerned I might be putting myself in jeopardy of not being able to hike as aggressively as I want to, by trying to improve my flexibility for other activities like martial arts. While I love martial arts... I would give it up if I had to choose between that and hiking. Maybe I am just being overly cautious, but I thought I would bounce it around here for insights.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how increased flexibility would negatively impact hiking. I'm with dbmata, here. It sounds like nothing, but if you're that concerned, have it checked out.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Mine too! I heard a plastic surgeon on Dr. Radio (81 on Sirius) describe the condition as "fifty year-old joints".
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    By the way, I am going to increase strength training in my legs and arms. The legs to support the joints better, and the arms because of the obstacle course I signed up for next fall.

I've got office worker arms. I can lift a pack of paper but that's about it.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    @tigersword... I didn't say "increased flexibility" was a detriment to hiking. From the very beginning I described that I have tried to increase my flexibility recently by stretching a lot more than I have in the past... and thats when the popping started. And I just have some concern that the popping might become an issue.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Try doing stretches of your ITB
    http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/iliotibial-band-stretches.html
    When my ITBs are tight my knees pop and ache.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm Thank you! That looks very applicable.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm Thank you! That looks very applicable.

Cheers