Recipes for Kitchen-less University Students?

ophiure
ophiure Posts: 18 Member
I'm looking for healthy recipes for students who don't have access to a kitchen/supplies. Basically, all I have to my name is: a kettle, a microwave, a TINY mini-fridge, 1 sharp knife, some utensils, 2 plates, some mugs, and two small plates.

Obviously, there can't be a lot of cooking involved and I can't have things that expire too quickly (I'm only one person and can only eat so much). There can't be TOO much in the way of leftovers because I don't have a lot of storage space. I also want to avoid frozen meals/canned soups and the like, if I can. I have no dietary restrictions, but I am, obviously, on a tight budget.

I've been doing a wrap. Every day. I need some ideas/websites!

Replies

• C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    edited December 2014
    What about lettuce (or spinach) salad with your favorite toppings, Greek (or regular) yogurt with fruit and granola or cheese and crackers?

This link may give some ideas for using your kettle: http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2012/02/the-quickest-easiest-way-to-make-a-hot-meal-without-a-kitchen/

There are tons of microwave recipes out there too. Such as oatmeal, scrambled eggs, baked potato, individual cookies and muffins. This link may help give you some ideas: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/cookware-and-equipment/microwave/

Did a quick google search and came across this blog that has a "heat-free" section of recipes: http://www.biggirlssmallkitchen.com/cooking_method/heat-free

Edited to add: Chia seed pudding or overnight oatmeal may be an option too??
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Try Hungry Girl's Egg Mugs for breakfast. They are basically a omelet or quiche made in a coffee mug in the microwave. I like the California, Mexicali and the Denver the best.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/best-of-egg-mug-recipes
  • dklibert
    This serves six so it maybe too much leftovers. It can be made entirely in the microwave and freezes well.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/08/santa-fe-rice-and-beans.html
  • dklibert
    You can microwave a potato. I wash and scrub the medium size potato, poke a few times with a fork and wrap in paper towel. Microwave on high 3 minutes, flip and microwave 3 more minutes. Let rest 5 minutes. You can top with light cheese, salsa, green onions and plain greek yogurt. Or chili, or a microwave broccoli and cheese packet.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Salad in a jar? Idk.
  • dklibert
    You can cook spaghetti squash in the microwave. The hard part is you will need a good size knife. You can top it with pasta sauce, chili, use instead of pasta in salads, etc. Tons of recipes on Pinterest. I have even seen it used as a replacement for ramen. Here is how to microwave it.

To prepare spaghetti squash: Cut squash in half. Scoop out seeds and discard. Place cut side down in a microwave safe dish, add 1/4 cup of water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 8 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes (You may have to do each half separately, I do). When squash is cool enough to handle, pull the squash into spaghetti like threads.
  • dklibert
    You can buy the prepackaged microwave rice cups and make rice bowls or shattered sushi. Here is a California Roll Salad.

California+Roll+Salad+2.jpg

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/06/california-roll-salad.html
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Oatmeal stores forever, and all you need is water and the microwave.

Lots of veggies have long storage times and don't need refrigeration. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and winter squash cook just fine in a microwave. Also, tomatoes, but they don't store as long.

It is possible to cook dried rice and pasta in a microwave with practice. You'll want a really good large bowl that won't melt with the extended cooking times.

Nut butters and whole grain breads last a while and are easily stored. Also, nuts and some fruit.

If you have a market nearby, you're pretty much set, as walking to the market every day for your dinner is a great way to get exercise, eat fresh whole foods, and not have to store much.

Lots of animal proteins cook quite well in the microwave, like shrimp and fish. Put them in a dish with seasoning and put plastic wrap over it with a small hole cut in it for venting. The wrap will keep the shrimp/fish moist. Use a meat thermometer on the thickest piece to check for done-ness.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited December 2014
    ophiure wrote: »
    I'm looking for healthy recipes for students who don't have access to a kitchen/supplies. Basically, all I have to my name is: a kettle, a microwave, a TINY mini-fridge, 1 sharp knife, some utensils, 2 plates, some mugs, and two small plates.

Obviously, there can't be a lot of cooking involved and I can't have things that expire too quickly (I'm only one person and can only eat so much). There can't be TOO much in the way of leftovers because I don't have a lot of storage space. I also want to avoid frozen meals/canned soups and the like, if I can. I have no dietary restrictions, but I am, obviously, on a tight budget.

If you can scrape up enough for it, I highly recommend a rice cooker. Mine was around $20, and it was an Aroma brand one. When I lived in a traditional dorm, I had no kitchen access. I would actually cook chicken breast and other one pot meals in mine when I didn't feel like going down to the dining hall. I could cook enough for one meal (or enough leftovers that I could fit in my mini fridge).

There's a ton of recipes online for cooking in rice cookers, too!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    You got a can opener? Tuna's great.

this site claims you can "hard boil" eggs in a microwave (actually, I'm inclined to try it; it says you crack before cooking, and peeling them is always a pain).

Your mini-fridge got a freezer? I came up with this little recipe myself and it's a pretty good "dessert" type food. it goes as follows:

microwave 1c frozen berries of your choice (I like raspberries) until they are warm and mushy. stir them, along with 1 pouch of sugar-free/fat-free pudding mix of your choice (I like lemon) into 1 1/2-2c of plain greek yogurt. let it sit in the fridge for a few hours... or don't.

a big bag of quick-cooking oats will keep a long time and you can add whatever you want to keep it interesting. all you really need to prepare it is boiling water, so your kettle's got you covered.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    How to Make Hard-Boiled Eggs in a Microwave: http://youtu.be/2f7i-ndrx9g
  • MyChocolateDiet
    ^ add those to the microwaved potato wih some mayo ,mustard salt pepper pre shredded store bagged carrots and chives...and you'll have my dinner tonight, spring style potato salad.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited December 2014

If you can scrape up enough for it, I highly recommend a rice cooker. Mine was around $20, and it was an Aroma brand one. When I lived in a traditional dorm, I had no kitchen access. I would actually cook chicken breast and other one pot meals in mine when I didn't feel like going down to the dining hall. I could cook enough for one meal (or enough leftovers that I could fit in my mini fridge).

^^ This. You can cook an amazingly diverse menu in a rice cooker. Back when I had a traveling job, I worked with a guy that traveled with a small rice cooker in his suitcase. Dude could cook anything in that little cooker. We use ours 3-4 times a week, sometimes we even make rice in it :smile:

• missiontofitness
    soggynode wrote: »

^^ This. You can cook an amazingly diverse menu in a rice cooker. Back when I had a traveling job, I worked with a guy that traveled with a small rice cooker in his suitcase. Dude could cook anything in that little cooker. We use ours 3-4 times a week, sometimes we even make rice in it :smile:

Yep! Not to mention, they're a very universally dorm-friendly item, and shouldn't be on the restricted list under your University's guidelines since it automatically shuts off, has no open coils, and no open heat source.

• Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 516 Member
    edited December 2014
    Lots of one cup, one bowl, or single serving recipes for dorm rooms using the microwave and rice cooker here. http://www.pinterest.com/misswadkins/i-dorm-and-university-life/

I would also highly recommend an individual sized George Foreman or other electric grill to do everything from cooking meat to toasting sandwiches. They can often be found for a song at thrift stores, but aren't too expensive new.

Add a small toaster oven, and you can cook nearly anything in your room!

p.s. Now's a great time to hint about an individual/small sized Crock Pot for the holidays... you can make soups/stews/small roasts, chicken, even cakes or lasagne in it! Best part is that it is super easy and pretty fool proof! Buy whatever food is on special that week, and whip up a homemade meal in your Crock Pot!
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Look up Lazy Girl Recipes...they are simple yet really good && try power snacks! http://www.buzzfeed.com/tashweenali/snacks-for-studying

This article is for studying but the ideas are really good and the foods are so vibrant!
  • missiontofitness
    Ideabaker wrote: »
    Lots of one cup, one bowl, or single serving recipes for dorm rooms using the microwave and rice cooker here. http://www.pinterest.com/misswadkins/i-dorm-and-university-life/

I would also highly recommend an individual sized George Foreman or other electric grill to do everything from cooking meat to toasting sandwiches. They can often be found for a song at thrift stores, but aren't too expensive new.

Add a small toaster oven, and you can cook nearly anything in your room!

p.s. Now's a great time to hint about an individual/small sized Crock Pot for the holidays... you can make soups/stews/small roasts, chicken, even cakes or lasagne in it! Best part is that it is super easy and pretty fool proof! Buy whatever food is on special that week, and whip up a homemade meal in your Crock Pot!

Unfortunately those items tend to not be dorm friendly! A lot of Universities ban toaster ovens, GF grills, and crock pots from dorms. :(
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 516 Member
    Unfortunately those items tend to not be dorm friendly! A lot of Universities ban toaster ovens, GF grills, and crock pots from dorms. :(

That's really too bad! Do check out the link as there are heaps of microwave brekkies, lunches, and dinners there. :smile:
  • missiontofitness
    edited December 2014