So you want to burn fat and build muscle?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Sorry Op but considering your other posts then good luck with that. Write a book on it afterwards.

Meanwhile I will maintain a calorific deficit by eating less and moving more. What herrspoons saud above that it is very hard to build myscle whilst at a calorific deficit unless you have specific circumstances. Most people will lose both fat and muscle during their weight loss and the resistance training is more to limit the muscle loss.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    LotusAsh wrote: »
    or you can just lift heavy and eat at a deficit to lose weight

that is too simple to be true...

i guess so
  • arnold824
    arnold824 Posts: 52
    edited December 2014
    I read a lot of articles and I can say that it's very hard to do both since those two requires the opposites of each other, losing weight requires a "calorie deficit" while building muscles requires an "increased calorie intake" to properly develop the muscles. When trying to loose weight you loose fat AND lean muscle so people do strength training to at least "maintain" or reduce the loss of muscles but that's as far as it goes.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Before giving a plan you might want to understand things better. When you are still asking questions like "can I eat 6 ounces of sweet potato at night" it's probably a good idea to read & research more.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    This thread is funny. Newbies will be newbies until they start to listen and not give so called facts.
  • FaridPERU
    FaridPERU Posts: 172 Member
    its a good plan for burn fat if you have muscle gain maybe i put a wrong title
  • FaridPERU
    why everybody is so agressive?
  • FaridPERU
    I admire your passion for your plan. Sounds like a lot all at once to start up, but if you like it and stick to it, great for you! :smile:

thanks!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    FaridPERU wrote: »
    No one is being aggressive but you are giving bad advice please spend more time learning before trying to give people plans. Take more time to learn
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    You're not going to gain muscle in a deficit. A deficit is needed to burn fat. You can't do both at once, except newbie gains, and even that is pretty rare, especially since the people who are in a position where they are trying to lower their body fat percentage or gain muscle are generally people who have been exercising for some time anyway.
  • AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    I wouldn't do carb cycling every day...I try to keep my protein and carbs about the same for most days, and then trim it way down for two days or so and then cycle fats way down for another two.
  • FaridPERU
    its a good plan for burn fat!
    maybe a put a bad a title because you can gain muscle when you are in a calorie deficit
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member

roid raging. :wink:
  • FaridPERU
    Run_Fit wrote: »

roid raging. :wink:

lol :D
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    its a good plan for burn fat!
    maybe a put a bad a title because you can gain muscle when you are in a calorie deficit

No. You can gain strength while in a deficit. You cannot gain muscle mass.
  • FaridPERU
    yes you cant gain muscle but you gain strenght its true
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited December 2014
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What exactly does the green tea do?

Turns you green... it's in the name.. duh.. :p
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What exactly does the green tea do?

Turns you green... it's in the name.. duh.. :p

Like the Hulk
  • FaridPERU
    hehe
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Farid, I think you're over-thinking it.

As others have suggested, best thing to do is lift heavy, get a lot of protein (I like my macros at 40 protein, 30 carbs, 30 fat - I find that works well with my body, others mileage may vary), be in a calorie deficit most of the time.

I say "most of the time" because I'm getting great results (losing weight, gaining strength and looking much better on a weekly basis) by doing the above but also letting loose a bit on weekends - essentially cyclic overfeeding. I also really enjoy red wine, so I'm allowing myself to drink on Friday and Saturday nights and enjoy a meal out at a restaurant.

Remember: inch by inch, it's a cinch. Yard-by-yard, it's hard. Many people start a plan "hardcore" and end up giving it up after a few weeks because it sucked the enjoyment out of their lives.

Whatever you decide to do, it will probably work if you stick with it - I prefer to create conditions that will improve the likelihood I will stick with it.