What am I doing wrong?

Options
jainafaith
jainafaith Posts: 45 Member
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
So I workout 6 days a week and try my best to eat clean. I eat about 80% clean. I lift weights for about 20-30 min and I do a 15 min cardio warm-up and I end off with a 15 min cardio cool down. I'm pretty much satisfied and fit. My arms and legs are toned but one problem. I have a belly. It never goes away. How can I lose it?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Calorie deficit

Yep
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Plus it doesn't happen overnight. Takes months.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    mrbyte wrote: »
    Plus it doesn't happen overnight. Takes months.

+1. How long have you been trying?

And fat loss is the way to lose the tummy pooch. Consistent calorie deficit is the way to achieve fat loss.
  • madamstn
    madamstn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    3500 calories to one lb of fat...work the deficit! Good luck, never give up.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing. Give us an update in three months-- you will be very happy in three months.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you lose fat in the kitchen - calorie defecit

for many, and it's down to genetics, stomach fat goes last ... fat comes off where it comes off no matter what you do
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit

+2
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What everyone said... so do you log calories in your dairy? Do you use a food scale?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Also realize that there are elements of a 'fat belly' that are related to posture and muscle tone, as well as genetic predisposition. Women of childbearing age generally have a bit of belly fat to protect the uterus. Even when my BMI was below 18.5 (which I am totally NOT advocating), I had a bit of a belly pooch. Yay genetics!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Also realize that there are elements of a 'fat belly' that are related to posture and muscle tone, as well as genetic predisposition. Women of childbearing age generally have a bit of belly fat to protect the uterus. Even when my BMI was below 18.5 (which I am totally NOT advocating), I had a bit of a belly pooch. Yay genetics!

Also this... but body composition also has an effect on if you can get a flat stomach.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit

Bingo. Whether you eat clean or not, you have to make sure you're eating less than you burn.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    OP, I am in the exact same boat as you. I have been on this journey my whole life. I have always counted calories as far as I can remember (maybe not physically, but I have ALWAYS had to watch what I eat). I am super happy with my entire body, except my belly. I even get asked when I'm expecting (thankfully not often, but it happens). I have been focused for months and still the belly doesn't disappear. I did have 2 emergency C-sections, which I'm sure doesn't help, but it has frustrated me so bad!!! I won't give up. I just keep trying harder and harder because I know if I do give up, the results will be 10 times worse. Even as a child my mom used to poke fun at my little pot belly. So I know this will be my battle until the end of time. I wish you much luck, and if you find something that helps you, please share your secret!!
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same as you and it is SOOOO frustrating. I am losing fat everywhere except the tummy. I just have to keep plugging along I tell myself. Maybe that tape measure will move a quarter inch one day. :D
  • anashnyc
    anashnyc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    madamstn wrote: »

There is a mis understanding about that 3500 calorie formula that can be hurtful to weight loss. Check out this video (not an ad) that explains the math of weight loss
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=GGP3NbP7O2w
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing anashnyc! That video was very informative!! Just proves once again, slow and steady wins the race! No miracles...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    anashnyc wrote: »

There is a mis understanding about that 3500 calorie formula that can be hurtful to weight loss. Check out this video (not an ad) that explains the math of weight loss

Actually, it's still true.

Say my TDEE is 2000 calories. To lose a pound per week, I need to eat 1500 calories. I lose eight pounds in eight weeks (I know, in a perfect world). My TDEE now, since I weigh less, is 1950 calories, so now I need to eat 1450 in order to lose at the same rate. This is why MFP asks to reevaluate your goal with every ten pounds lost, because you don't need as many calories anymore.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    jainafaith wrote: »
    So I workout 6 days a week and try my best to eat clean. I eat about 80% clean. I lift weights for about 20-30 min and I do a 15 min cardio warm-up and I end off with a 15 min cardio cool down. I'm pretty much satisfied and fit. My arms and legs are toned but one problem. I have a belly. It never goes away. How can I lose it?

There is no way to spot reduce weight. To lose fat in 1 area, you need to lower your body fat in general and hope that it comes off from where you want it to (many women lament the loss of their girls in a quest to lose belly fat). To lower your overall fat, you need to create a calorie deficit and lose weight.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    People are prone to being apple shape tend to find it harder to lose all the fat on the belly. Are you an apple shape figure. This is quite hard to determine from pictures of slim people. But when people are a bit fatter its pretty easy to spot. Again harder to spot in really big people. Apple shaped people tend to have slim legs and hips and backside and don't have much of a waist. They often have big bust and tend to have squarer upper bodies.

If this is you, then it could just be an incredible amount of hard work for very little gain. Is it really worth it? I tell you its definitely worth it to keep your weight down with this body shape because these people tend to be more prone to things like metabolic syndrome and diseases resulting from lots of body fat around the internal organs.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    anashnyc wrote: »

That video in no way explained how the 3500 calorie rule was wrong. Quite frankly, the video was a joke.