Would you consider this a healthy diet?

Options
hi so i havent been on here recently, iv'e actually been trying to stop counting and just make healthy choices because i am a normal bmi and (mostly) happy with my body
anyway....
i was just wondering what others consider a healthy diet, and do you think i am eating too little/too much
i kinda just wanted a second opinion :) and i would really reaaallly appreciate any feedback :)

Here is what i ate today:

breakfast: oatmeal with blueberries and half a banana
lunch: apple, handful of almonds, 4 prunes
snack: christmas tart & soy latte
dinner: bowl of veges & pasta (about 2 cups worth)
snack: oat bar

usually i wouldn't have the christmas tart obviously but something sweet does happen to slip in there every now and again.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    So your only protein was almonds and what little there is in a soy latte?

I would guess that you could eat what you have listed here plus a couple of sources of protein.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Not really, doesn't seem like much, plus your protein intake is practically non existent. Also seems like you're very low on dietary fat intake, which is not a good thing at all.
  • coleymfp
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Not really, doesn't seem like much, plus your protein intake is practically non existent. Also seems like you're very low on dietary fat intake, which is not a good thing at all.

i am also a vegetarian, what should i do to add more protein do you think?

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    coleymfp wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »

i am also a vegetarian, what should i do to add more protein do you think?

beans, cheese, more nuts...being vegetarian shouldn't mean low protein!
  • AJ_G
    Options
    If you're vegetarian and not vegan, then the easiest way to add protein would be whey protein powder. You can also get more protein in with milk, cheese, eggs (specifically egg whites are pure protein, the yoke is all fat), cottage cheese, etc.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You have lots of sugar in this diet.. not sure if that's something you are trying to watch or not.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I noticed the high sugar, high carb content too, but that may work for you. In my experience, more protein and fat makes me feel better, and not so likely to give into cravings.
  • coleymfp
    Options
    yeah thanks everyone :) your right, i'm not vegan but i do try and refrain from as many animal products as i can. i think im going to go and buy some vegan protein powder tomorrow

i do find i get hungry quickly as well, sometimes just half an hour after eating, and then bloat easily. so yeah that explains a lot.

does anyone have an recommendations for vegetables that are highish in protein?
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    To me that is a WOW, WTH??! But I come form a very different perspective. For YOU being a vegetarian, I would say eat a LOT more veggies and more protein instead of just carbs. Beans, tofu, even something like Seitan or Quorn or Tofurky. Cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs. You are very low on protein and I bet a lot of other vitamins if you tracked them by doing this mostly carb diet. You can be thin and very unhealthy, I knew a girl that was vegetarian in the way you are now, eating all carbs and some grilled cheese now and again. She lost her hair, a had all kinds of problems and had to really learn how to combine foods as a vegetarian and how to supplement properly. I would really get some reputable books and see a vegetarian dietician about this. I normally don't advocate that but in this case I think you need some help if you are set on Vegetarianism.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    i'm not vegan but i do try and refrain from as many animal products as i can

Is it for personal morality reasons, or is it because you think animal products are unhealthy for you? If it's for morality reasons, then that's fine, it's your decision, but if it's because you think it's unhealthy, that's not the case.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Peas, Spinach, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Potatoes, Garlic, Seaweed, Mushrooms, Sundried Tomatoes, Kale, Sprouts, Chard, Beets, Spirulina

Grains; Quinoa, Corn, Oat Bran

Nut butters are good for fat and protein, they have 5 or 6 grams of protein per ounce

Hemp, Chia or Flax seeds are another way to add some protein you can sprinkle them onto food or make a chia seed pudding by mixing them with almond milk.

Another thing is Nutritional yeast, it has a slightly cheesy flavor when you add it to foods (it's good on popcorn, broccoli, in a tofu breakfast scramble) 2 tablespoons is 60 calories, 9 g of protein, 4 g of fiber and it's fortified with B12 something most vegetarians and vegans are low in.

Beans: Lentils, Soybeans, Limas are higher in protein but black beans taste good and you can actually use them in desserts (there are some decent black bean brownie or cake recipes on this site or google them) to get your fiber and protein in but still satisfy your sweet tooth/desire for baked goods.

Garden of life vegan protein powder is decent (just never have unflavored with only water it's terrible tasting), but any Pea protein is going to be vegan.

• coleymfp
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

Peas, Spinach, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Potatoes, Garlic, Seaweed, Mushrooms, Sundried Tomatoes, Kale, Sprouts, Chard, Beets, Spirulina

Grains; Quinoa, Corn, Oat Bran

Nut butters are good for fat and protein, they have 5 or 6 grams of protein per ounce

Hemp, Chia or Flax seeds are another way to add some protein you can sprinkle them onto food or make a chia seed pudding by mixing them with almond milk.

Another thing is Nutritional yeast, it has a slightly cheesy flavor when you add it to foods (it's good on popcorn, broccoli, in a tofu breakfast scramble) 2 tablespoons is 60 calories, 9 g of protein, 4 g of fiber and it's fortified with B12 something most vegetarians and vegans are low in.

Beans: Lentils, Soybeans, Limas are higher in protein but black beans taste good and you can actually use them in desserts (there are some decent black bean brownie or cake recipes on this site or google them) to get your fiber and protein in but still satisfy your sweet tooth/desire for baked goods.

Garden of life vegan protein powder is decent (just never have unflavored with only water it's terrible tasting), but any Pea protein is going to be vegan.

Thanks so much! :)
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options

You are welcome, oh yeah this is a great site for easy low calorie vegan desserts. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/recipes/
    It really helped me out when I didn't have a lot of calories for the day but still wanted to have something sweet.
  • coleymfp
    coleymfp Posts: 10
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

You are welcome, oh yeah this is a great site for easy low calorie vegan desserts. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/recipes/
    It really helped me out when I didn't have a lot of calories for the day but still wanted to have something sweet.

wow yeah thanks this is great!
    really helpful, i feel much better now knowing i can improve my diet without having to start including more animal products :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lunch: apple, handful of almonds, 4 prunes

thats not lunch... its barely a snack....
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and I get a good amount of protein in each day. Protein powder in my smoothies really helps (I use Vega) but I do get enough through food. My diary is open, feel free to browse through and ask if you have any questions about meals.

(I'd be seriously hungry after eating the lunch you mentioned!)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Legumes, nuts, nut butters, nutritional yeast.... and if needed protein shakes or bars. But no, your current diet doesn't have enough protein. I'm not sure it has enough calories either.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    How long have you been a vegetarian? Because you don't seem to know much about it or how to have proper nutrition eating a vegetarian diet.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, people will remember to be helpful...
    I was vegan for a few years, and during that time, I learned how important beans and lentils were. They contain a some amino acids that grains and produce don't. One of the amino acids in beans (and meat, dairy, eggs) is tyrosine. When your body gets enough tyrosine, you are not as hungry, and you feel mentally sharper. I'm sure there are other benefits of tyrosine too, but I didn't study that!

The point is, if you're going to be vegan, you MUST eat beans to be healthy. Soy will do the job, but carries too many risks, in my opinion.
  • skinnygirljunk
    skinnygirljunk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You should eat more legumes. You can even sprout them and make a salad with them it's super easy to do. You need more whole grains like rye berries, millet, brown rice ect...

Leafy greens are a must. Arugula is my personal favorite, kale, collard greens, romaine, mustard greens. Throw in some tomatoes, carrots, dry roasted nuts, maybe a yellow pepper. Get some unfiltered cider vinegar mix with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt.

Baked yams are amazing! They don't need anything on them. But a tablespoon or two of greek yogurt and fresh coriander is good too.

Try to avoid processed food, I know it hard but you'll feel much better if you do. And make sure that you're drinking enough water.

If you eat dairy yogurt is a good option, go for the plain. Greek is my favorite. It's bitter but you can add some fruit and flax seeds or sesame seeds to it. Make sure you grind the flax it can be difficult to digest when it's whole. Add some cinnamon, nutmeg, anise to sweeten it.

There's really no way to avoid carbs on a vegetarian diet. If you want a well balanced diet you're going to have to cook. Invest in a pressure cooker, it makes the grains light and fluffy and you can cook legumes and root veggies like beets with minimal effort.

If you're not eating a well balanced diet you should take a multi vitamin and calcium.