I'm turning 30 in October...why not run 13 miles?!?

Options
lizzyb83
lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
October 2, I will be 30. October 6 I am running a half marathon. SO FAR OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE! I have a training schedule from Runner's World. About to go out and buy some decent sneakers.

Any other advice? Like the basics...best phone carrier (do those arm straps really work?) How important is the snacks while running (that GU just sounds gross)

Weights are my thing, running is not. But it's time to start crossing off that bucket list!

Replies

• redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You don't need any "snacks" during a run unless you are running 10 miles or more. Personally I LOVE sports beans. They're little jelly beans filled with energy replacer. Delicious and addicting! You can also just have a powerade or something in place of water, they basically do the same thing.

When I trained for my half marathon I injured my knee too bad to actually run the race so make sure you STRETCH before and after every run, and make sure you get a rest day or 2.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wahoo! I just ran my first half-marathon back in March. I didn't run with my phone; I actually have a Garmin wrist unit that tracks my speed/mileage and an iPod Nano that I use instead. I have a good running mix and play with it all the time to help keep my mind busy - the worst part for me on long runs is just boredom, but if I switch up the music I can work harder based on the song.

Snacks during a run once you get to the longer workouts (over an hour) are REALLY important. Gu worked the best for me, though yeah it is kind of gross. For long runs, I'd take one every 45 minutes. I tried a few other things but they just didn't work as well. I also like to use Propel powder mix in my water bottle.

Other tips: on your training plan (I think I might have used the same one) you may want to add a little more mileage on the longer days, make sure you peak out at at LEAST 13.1. This was the most heard advice I got from other runners and I'm really glad I listened to it. For my next half I'm actually going to keep on the longer runs until the week before the event. As-written, the plan will get you through, but you'll feel and finish stronger if you add a mile or two here and there. Also STICK TO THE PLAN. If you keep on it you'll definitely do well.

As far as shoes go, make sure you go to a good running store where they watch your stride and recommend shoes based on their evaluation. This is a huge step in running comfortably and preventing injury.

Last one from me, don't be afraid to take it slow! As you start tapering the last few weeks the speed will come; but if you pace a little slower and run without stopping to walk, as you build distance it will really help you build the endurance and prevent any injury. One of my bosses did not listen to this advice and would run way too fast and then walk for minutes at a time. He ended up with a foot injury about 4 weeks into training.

Also don't forget to get a couple cute running outfits to keep you motivated. I got a special one just for my first half; as a girl it made it a little more fun!

Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1) don't take anything you don't need. Why carry phone, keys, energy bars, change of clothes, picnic basket, first aid cart, etc if you don't need to. I don't carry anything when I run. No phone. No keys. Usually not even an ipod. Back when I used to carry my phone, I just held it in my hand.

2) since you are fairly new to all this, why not train your body to work well without constant calories/fluids? Most people don't need nearly as much as they *think* they need. You should be fine in most cases on any run up to an hour, and probably longer than that. Push yourself and see what you're capable of, and THEN start figuring out what kinds of drinks/gels/chews you need.

As for them seeming gross... when you really need the cals, you'll eat dirt if you have to. Things that seem gross at home are rarely gross at mile 10.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I use snax if I'm running 8 or more miles... I was afraid of the gooey stuff too but I got around that by using Cliff Blocks. They taste really good and are more like gummy snacks. I like margarita flavor and they have extra salt to help with cramping.