Is calorie goal accurate?

Options
Hi!

I've been using MFP consistently for about 2 months now. Just for fun, I calculated my BMR on other websites, and my caloric intake seems to be lower everywhere other than here. I am wondering if I should be lowering my calories a bit in order to help things but I am a bit worried that this would bring my calorie intake too low and slow down my metabolism?

My actual calorie goal is 1400, other websites have me go down to 1200... I am 130lbs at the moment, trying to get to 125ish.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Have you been losing weight eating 1400? If yes then it's accurate. If not then you might want to lower it or buy a food scale to make sure you're not overeating, and then eat 1400 again for a while and see if you lose.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    1400 is reasonable. That's likely to result in about .5lbs a week.
    The 1200 calorie suggestions are for more aggressive weight-loss, like 2lbs a week.
    I personally would suggest going with the 1400.
    Losing as little weight as you are trying to do, 5lbs, is going to be a slow process. It's harder to lose a little than to lose a lot. The weight loss will be slow, so I would eat the 1400 to keep sane and maintain willpower.
    Be patient! It's really annoying and tedious, but it will happen!
    I'm trying to lose 5 myself and I have only lost 2 over 3 months :( Not trying to discourage you, just want you to realize it will take some time!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The word accurate is subjective. If you eat 1400 calories, meet your body's nutrient requirements, fuel your workouts, and still lose weight then by all means a budget of 1400 calories is accurate. Otherwise, you have to find a number more accurate to meet your goals.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Don't change based on numbers (they are all just estimates, so some variation from one site/formula to the next is to be expected)... make changes based on lack of progress.

You've been at this 2 months. Are you seeing any progress? With only 5lbs to lose, progress will be slow.
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've had the same but the other way around. MFP told me to eat 1500, but other websites tell me to eat 1800. I stuck to 1800 (which is more than I was eating!!) and I've lost 5lb in two weeks. I expect this to slow down so will alter it as continue to loose more.