Bulking time question.

Options
2»

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I would think the hardest part would be accurately determining if you are actually putting on muscle or not.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I would think the hardest part would be accurately determining if you are actually putting on muscle or not.

If you're eating in a surplus and lifting, you just assume/hope you are. That's definitely the hardest part for me, though.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

If you're eating in a surplus and lifting, you just assume/hope you are. That's definitely the hardest part for me, though.

I would think a bodyfat calculator, bod pod, calipers etc.. and your weight would be one way
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    bulk until you are as strong as you want to be, but fatter than you'd like to be.

then cut.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    bulk until you are as strong as you want to be, but fatter than you'd like to be.

then cut.

That's a good way to put it, thanks. :)
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    The o

I would think a bodyfat calculator, bod pod, calipers etc.. and your weight would be one way

The online bf % calculators all tell me that I'm obese :'(
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

then cut.

Forever bulk
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Carry on.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I say stop all cardio, you can be lean and add weight slowly without cardio. You want to save calories so that they turn in to the lean weight you are trying to gain.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

check this out to calculate your calories, that is what I use. I don't count the calories I burn when I exercise.

I like to do some cardio so I can eat MORE. 2700 cals/day is not nearly enough!

Tell me about it! I am 5'10", weight 183lbs and I have been on 2,550cals a day an it was hard hahaha. I am currently eating 3,210 cals a day with no cardio at all.

I guess if you love cardio that much and have the time just make sure is not high intensity cardio.

I do circuit training (which as far as I can see is the 'old' name for HIIT) once a week, even when I'm bulking to maintain my cv fitness (I usually play 80 minutes of Rugby on a Saturday too). I just have to eat through it. Shame.

Circuit training can be a type of HIIT but HIIT goes beyond just circuit training. If you try a true Tabata protocol (not the newer version that has a rest period and lower intensity in general) you will see that it's nothing like circuit training.

tabataprotocol.com/ The true Tabata is listed with the disclaimer to not try it. >:) Oh, and when they say rest they mean lower intensity pedaling and not a stop. A lot of the original participants would regularly fall off of the bikes and throw up and they were elite speed skaters!

tabata is F'ing brutal...try running Tabata sprints...ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I did -- for about 3 cycles and then was looking up! No thanks on the redo. ;)
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Bulk for as long as you can stand it. I bulked for a little over a year before switching over to a powerlifting program instead. I only gained around 15 lbs, but I looked a lot better.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good advices given already. My suggestion is to do it slowly and do it until you feel you are in a good place to cut, like Capt_Apollo said :)

I am on my first bulk since September. I have gained 6 lbs so far. I was only going to bulk for 6 weeks but decided to extend to next year since it's winter time and with all the holidays and parties, I will have hard time to cut :p . I plan to cut next January or February.

I cut back on my cardio and focus more on weight lifting. I do see the difference on my tricepses, quads and hamstrings. Can't wait to cut so I can get my abs back and hopefully with more definition... :#

Good luck!
  • Serah87
    Options
    funfang wrote: »
    There are a lot of good advices given already. My suggestion is to do it slowly and do it until you feel you are in a good place to cut, like Capt_Apollo said :)

I am on my first bulk since September. I have gained 6 lbs so far. I was only going to bulk for 6 weeks but decided to extend to next year since it's winter time and with all the holidays and parties, I will have hard time to cut :p . I plan to cut next January or February.

I cut back on my cardio and focus more on weight lifting. I do see the difference on my tricepses, quads and hamstrings. Can't wait to cut so I can get my abs back and hopefully with more definition... :#

Good luck!

Thank you. I agree on the advice. Slowly is what I like. Thank you again. :)

• TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Have fun with those extra calories :) I was curious what your BF% was - if your profile pic is current, you look to be between 10 and 12% - which is certainly ideal.
  • PwrLftr82
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Have fun with those extra calories :) I was curious what your BF% was - if your profile pic is current, you look to be between 10 and 12% - which is certainly ideal.

Women naturally have a higher bf % but look ripped. I'd put the OP closer to 17%.

ETA: For reference, I'm 14% in my left pic and 16% in my right one.
  • Serah87
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Women naturally have a higher bf % but look ripped. I'd put the OP closer to 17%.

ETA: For reference, I'm 14% in my left pic and 16% in my right one.
    Agree. 10% for a woman would be one of those bottom super stage dry ready physiques that you don't want to hang around at. It would be the same as a guy trying to walk around at 4-5% all the time. Just not advisable. Either way, we know what Faustino meant.

OP, I saw your pictures. You did a great job so far. I know I asked you questions earlier and you responded, I wI'll give more opinion in a little bit but you've gotten good advice so far.

Thank you. :)

• alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I'm having a hard time on my bulk and it's been less than 2 months. It's been difficult eating 2,000+ consistently and all the extra fat is hard to take mentally.

You do a lot more specially cardio wise so I think you might have to go higher in calories overtime (we're all different but if I did as much as you do I'll have to eat closer to 3,000 to gain).