Building your own soup recipe

Options
So I am new to building my own recipes and my question is how would I build homemade soup from leftover turkey or chicken. For instance, I boil the whole bird in water and then I separate the leftover meat and take out the bones. Would I measure the meat before putting it back in the broth that was made from the prior step? Also, how would I log calories for the broth since it was just water and turkey?

Replies

• kalinbeima
    kalinbeima Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello! My husband just made a delicious homemade turkey soup. We roasted the turkey in the oven first and cut it up. We then sautéed carrots, celery, and onions before adding water to the stock pot. Then added the turkey and he put rice and a potato in it and cooked it for about an hour and a half. The key was adding the drippings from the turkey pan to give it more flavor but you could do the same with water and bullion. For tracking I just found something similar but you could build your own recipe by adding everything separately. I'd recommend when you go to plate your soup, take out and weigh the meat by itself so you get an accurate number of grams or ounces. Good luck!
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Did you chill the stock and remove the fat? If so, you could probably use a generic calorie count for turkey broth. If you left the fat in it, I am not sure what you would do. I always chill mine and remove most of the fat. And yes, you would weigh the meat before putting it back in the pot. In order to figure out your calories for each serving, I weigh my pot before starting and then weigh it again once the soup is cooked. I can then take the total calories of all the ingredients and figure out how much each gram is worth. I do this a lot because most of my food is made up stuff, so I have to do the leg work, but it is definitely worth it.