Your tips to maintaining?

Options
13»

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I log everyday. For me, it is too easy to slide. I need the accountability, so I will be logging forever. It has only been 13 months and I don't want to be one of the vast majority that gains it all back ( and often times gaining even more weight ) within 5 years. So, I will keep on logging on MFP
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds 3-4 years ago and have been maintaining since. I had MFP set for a 0.5 lb/week weight loss at the end of my losing. Switching to maintenance was just a slight bump up in calories and an easy transition, so I would recommend doing that for the last 10 pounds. I still logged for a few months after reaching my goal but eventually stopped, as I knew I had portion size down cold, which was always my biggest issue. I now just weigh myself every two weeks or so just to make sure I am within my comfort zone.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but for me personally I have been counting calories for about three years now in order to maintain. If I don't, it's too easy to lose track of serving sizes and portions and I'll eat too much.
    I make sure I ALWAYS bring portable, lower-calorie snacks (such as dry cereal) to munch on if I get hungry throughout the day to prevent me from wasting calories and money on fast/convenience foods.
    Last but not least, I make sure I always save myself some calories at the end of the day (to motivate me to be good) for something I've been craving, like a candy bar or ice cream (when I just have the urge to keep eating I'll opt for something super low calorie like Arctic Zero since the entire pint is only 150 calories. It may not taste as decadent as ice cream, but it still satisfies my urge to eat a lot of something cold and sweet!)
  • pocketrocket42
    pocketrocket42 Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I still count and plan to do so permanently. I find it to be a useful crutch, as unfortunately as a child I developed early on a taste for chocolate, baked goods, and candy. Therefore, "listening to my body" doesn't work so well. It's a pain in the butt but it's a useful pain in the butt.