Basic stretching do's or don'ts

Options
I apologize as this probably reads as a dumb question, and I'm admittedly very dumb on the matter. I don't know how or when or what to stretch.

I've lost 50 lbs since May. I log my calories faithfully, and I've always included some level of exercise. I began mostly with walking, later added in short jogs, then classes, then runs, and now a little strength training.

I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and do 60 minute zumba class once per week.

At the gym I typically do 30 minutes of cardio (mostly running, with the occasional elliptical or arc) and follow it up with 15-20 minutes of machine or dumbbell weights, on a program I worked with a PT on.

In all this time, I've rarely stretched and I can't imagine that is a good thing.

So when should I stretch?
After cardio and before weights?
After both?

Just the muscle groups I'm working that day? All of them? I watch many others at the gym. Some do short stretches and some others will dedicate 20 minute sessions on the mat to them.

Are there certain stretches to do everyday, regardless? Thanks for any tips.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Well I don't do cardio anymore, but this is my schedule:

- cardio warm up
    - dynamic stretches, whole body
    - lifting
    - static stretching.

I would probably just stretch after cardio myself. And I generally try to stretch my whole body.

On my last day with my physical therpaist I asked her about how much/when I should stretch because she told me I have really loose/flexible ligaments, so I didn't want to overdo the stetching. She advised day of and day after lifting. IMO it's just easier to do whole body and get your bases covered :p I do not spend 20 minutes on stretching though. I think that is excessive. Although I am pretty flexible naturally, so it's possible that I just don't need to stretch THAT much.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Thanks!