Stuck

Options
Hi I just started weight lifting a few weeks ago and it doesn't seem like I'm eating more but I've gained a couple pounds. Do you have any advice besides tracking my calories here ?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Well, you already covered the important one: tracking calories.

The other thing is that when you start a new exercise program, especially weight lifting, you can retain water to repair your muscles. As a female, a "couple of pounds" could also just be related to hormonal changes.
  • vhowru
    vhowru Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the prompt reply I agree !
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Water weight. I was up 3-4 pounds for the past month because I started lifting again, and it's only now come off this week.
  • vhowru
    Options
    Thanks How long did it take you to lose the water weight ? Is this common when starting to lift weights ?
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    it was common for me. actually my weight loss has pretty much stopped, but my jean size has gone down. it happens.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Best way to lose water weight is by drinking water... Your body retains water when you dont have enough!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you aren't eating more, then the weight gained isn't fat. If they weight gained isn't fat, then it simply isn't worse worrying about. If your goal is weight loss and in the long run (several weeks) you aren't losing weight, it's always an issue of eating too many calories.
  • vhowru
    Options
    Thanks I'm thinking it might be due to medications
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you aren't eating more, then the weight gained isn't fat. If they weight gained isn't fat, then it simply isn't worse worrying about. If your goal is weight loss and in the long run (several weeks) you aren't losing weight, it's always an issue of eating too many calories.

Yep