Is 25 minutes of cardio enough?

Options

Replies

• AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Focus T25, which is only 25 minutes per day of pretty high intensity exercise. I love it, and I can tell I'm getting more fit. But I'm not trying to train for a marathon, or anything like that. This program works very well for me because 25-30 minutes is all I'm willing to commit to structured exercise at this time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    enough for what?

weight maintenance is a food issue- not a cardio issue.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Seriously, some of ya'll just should refrain from answering questions that aren't complete.

OP as others have stated...enough for what?

She stated her goals and question quite clearly with the sentence in bold:

However, some days if I don't wake up early enough I won't have a lot of time to do a full hour/45 minute workout (which usually is a combination of strength/cardio), so usually 2 - 3 days a week I will only do around 25 - 30 minutes of cardio and I was wondering if that's enough? I'm not trying to lose weight or anything, I'm basically just trying to not gain the "freshman 20" and maintain my weight :pensive:

Reading beyond that, there is a lot of stress and anxiety involved with being a college student. So the suggestions of getting some routine exercise sessions in - be they 25-30 minutes short at 2 or 3 times a week, or as time management allows - is an excellent coupling with eating at maintenance to meet her goals that she raised in her question of the shorter cardio sessions being enough.

Personally, I wish every college student would work in some form of routine exercise that is beyond walking to class to help them combat stress, and maintain their sanity along with weight.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    There is not that much stress with being a college freshman- you show up- you do your homework- you don't punch your roommate in the face. it's pretty straight forward.

I honestly am flabbergasted by how people go to college and just get fat.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Seriously, some of ya'll just should refrain from answering questions that aren't complete.

However, some days if I don't wake up early enough I won't have a lot of time to do a full hour/45 minute workout (which usually is a combination of strength/cardio), so usually 2 - 3 days a week I will only do around 25 - 30 minutes of cardio and I was wondering if that's enough? I'm not trying to lose weight or anything, I'm basically just trying to not gain the "freshman 20" and maintain my weight :pensive:

Reading beyond that, there is a lot of stress and anxiety involved with being a college student. So the suggestions of getting some routine exercise sessions in - be they 25-30 minutes short at 2 or 3 times a week, or as time management allows - is an excellent coupling with eating at maintenance to meet her goals that she raised in her question of the shorter cardio sessions being enough.

Personally, I wish every college student would work in some form of routine exercise that is beyond walking to class to help them combat stress, and maintain their sanity along with weight.
    Yet she didn't state how many cals she is consumig, nor how many she burns in a day, what her TDEE is.

Cardio is not what loses weight, eating at a deficit is. So for anybody to answer how much cardio is enough without knowing the answers to those, is like throwing darts at the wall.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options

Yet she didn't state how many cals she is consumig, nor how many she burns in a day, what her TDEE is.

Cardio is not what loses weight, eating at a deficit is. So for anybody to answer how much cardio is enough without knowing the answers to those, is like throwing darts at the wall.

One could safely assume her calories are being consumed fairly well within her maintenance needs if we draw the conclusion that "she is not trying to lose weight" or anything. Her focus, as she stated, is on maintenance and avoiding what she most likely sees happening around her from her peers in college.

So, yes - we are all correct and in agreement in pointing out that keeping the CICO equation in balance for her to maintain her current weight is the ticket. Whether or not that includes exercise or not, she obviously is interested in using some form of exercise to help maintain. That is a good thing as the benefits of exercise - pardon the pun here - but far outweigh the alternative.

• SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    There is not that much stress with being a college freshman- you show up- you do your homework- you don't punch your roommate in the face. it's pretty straight forward.

I honestly am flabbergasted by how people go to college and just get fat.

I'm on the other side of the college equation as a Professor. I see a lot of stress, anxiety, and demands put on the students - including college freshman. We enter finals week this week, and I would venture to say that about 3 weeks ago I noticed the burn out look on the faces of nearly all students from the load they are asked to take on at our institution. Enough so over the past 12 years to qualify my statement that there is indeed stress at the collegiate level for the students. Exercise is indeed a welcome stress reliever that I suggest to my advisees and students. Time management is a difficult thing to learn, and freshman usually suffer the most as they try to learn that skill.

The flabbergast shouldn't be a shocked surprise. It simply comes from the reality that a lot more calories are being consumed with the constant social interactions, parties, all you can eat cafeterias, snacks, late night study sessions, late night paper writing, etc... than they faced in high school while living at home. And back to the stress issue. It's well known that some people react to stress by eating more. I'm of the opposite side of the coin - I don't eat much when under a lot of stress.
  • JoRocka
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I left my comfortable home and went 2000 miles away to a school that's consider more difficult than bootcamp. With no friends- no family andno support.
    - On top of a full academic load- and playing a sport. And getting morally and physically degraded for well over 6 months of my life and told I was complete and utter piece of filth.

I simple cannot fathom how "going away to college" is that stressful.

I do understand that finals weeks are stressful- but one doesn't get fat over the last month of their terms.

But- I would agree- college students should participate in physical fitness. After my freshman year- I played soccer- but PT was mandatory every week- 3 miles- 100 sit ups- 25-50 pull ups and 100 push ups. Every week- required.

There is no question my college life was better with mandatory PT- and it's something I continue to participate in as an adult- like it or not... which is why I'm successful at what I do.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I left my comfortable home and went 2000 miles away to a school that's consider more difficult than bootcamp. With no friends- no family andno support.
    - On top of a full academic load- and playing a sport. And getting morally and physically degraded for well over 6 months of my life and told I was complete and utter piece of filth.

I simple cannot fathom how "going away to college" is that stressful.

I do understand that finals weeks are stressful- but one doesn't get fat over the last month of their terms.

But- I would agree- college students should participate in physical fitness. After my freshman year- I played soccer- but PT was mandatory every week- 3 miles- 100 sit ups- 25-50 pull ups and 100 push ups. Every week- required.

There is no question my college life was better with mandatory PT- and it's something I continue to participate in as an adult- like it or not... which is why I'm successful at what I do.

There's the difference. You played a sport in college. Student athletes, as a percentage, are a minority of the college student base. The mandatory PT you were required to do would be a welcome addition to all. But it is not mandatory, hence typical weight gains are far too common even in today's exercise induced society. Most have to gain weight, come to terms with it, then learn the reality of what it takes to lose it and keep it off.

The odds of playing sports in college is minimal and the odds of being paid to play a college sport is even worse. Your best bet for capturing college money is to succeed in the classroom.

Plenty of stress from those trying to capture college money in the classroom and in their career pursuits...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

One could safely assume her calories are being consumed fairly well within her maintenance needs if we draw the conclusion that "she is not trying to lose weight" or anything.

I don't see how that is even remotely a safe assumption.

OP - it'll be enough if you aren't eating too much. If you're eating too much, you'll either need more cardio, or less eating. Without more information, we can't know if your eating level makes sense.

• JoRocka
    Options

Plenty of stress from those trying to capture college money in the classroom and in their career pursuits...

it's not significantly more stressful than living the rest of you're life where money is almost always an issue and there are demands from work and family.

I'm sorry- I'm just not buying that college is *that* stressful. Yes- there are time periods where it is-finals and big term papers/projects: but over all it's the least stressful time of your life- and after you grow up- get a job- and have a full life- there are times where you wish life was that easy.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    College is a cakewalk. I feel for people who think it is stressful, the shock to their system that's coming when the real world drops a deuce on their chest will be interesting for them indeed.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I think we all have different set points when it comes to what we consider low, moderate, and high stress situations. Some people can handle more than others. While I am a full time college student, I am taking classes online from my home. So while I'm not dealing with roommates, parties, and other stuff that comes with living on campus, of course I still have big projects, tests, etc. I understand that I'm not even living the typical college life, but I can say I've seen the effects of stress on my body physically and mentally.

For many of us who are in the 18-22 age range, we've not continuously dealt with anything this stressful. Of course, I realize there are plenty of people who have dealt with a lot more, but that's not everyone.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    lilylenz wrote: »
    However, some days if I don't wake up early enough I won't have a lot of time to do a full hour/45 minute workout (which usually is a combination of strength/cardio), so usually 2 - 3 days a week I will only do around 25 - 30 minutes of cardio and I was wondering if that's enough? I'm not trying to lose weight or anything, I'm basically just trying to not gain the "freshman 20" and maintain my weight :P

As others have said, if you are not eating more calories than you burn then you won't gain weight even if you do little to no exercise. Log what you are eating, drinking and the exercise you are doing and you will see if it is enough for you.

Beyond weight concerns, I think 25 to 30 minutes of exercise a day is a good healthy habit to start. It is good for stress management. I think anyone can be stressed out even college freshmen and it is good to learn to manage your stress.

Not all college students these days are kids fresh out of high school. Some are in their 30's and have jobs, spouses, children, houses, bills as well as classes to attend. Everyone has their own challenges and just because some activity or stage of life seems easy enough to you doesn't mean it is low stress for another person.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Not all college students these days are kids fresh out of high school. Some are in their 30's and have jobs, spouses, children, houses, bills as well as classes to attend. Everyone has their own challenges and just because some activity or stage of life seems easy enough to you doesn't mean it is low stress for another person.

I'm going to take a stab and say anyone who is attending school after hours- as an adult- isn't going to be remotely close to worried about the freshman 15- and yes- their stress will be significantly higher than you're average youngster going to school away from home for the first time.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I agree with the others that say we would need more info to really give advice specific to you and your goals but in completely generic terms here is the the CDC site with recommendations.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html

^ This would be minimum just for basic health concerns. Your calorie intake is what will affect your weight management though.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    My point is to maintain you don't have to do any cardio exercise of any kind unless you choose to eat more than you burn throughout the day. How can anyone answer that without knowing that piece of info? If you assume she is maintaining correctly then the OP wouldn't need to ask the question, "Is this enough?" . If she is at her maintenance calories the question was never necessary to ask.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Her question was, "is it enough."

Yes. It's enough.

Enough for what? Doesn't matter. It's "enough." It's also more than zero, as was pointed out.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Not all 25min of cardio are created equal.....
  • JoRocka
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Her question was, "is it enough."

Yes. It's enough.

Enough for what? Doesn't matter. It's "enough." It's also more than zero, as was pointed out.

I can tell you it's enough for me!!!!!
    <hashtaghatescardio>

Its' probably not enough if you're training for a marathon though.