More knee problems

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    betharin wrote: »
    So much varied advice here. My suggestion is to see a physical therapist to learn what exercises you can do to strengthen your leg muscles to support your knees. KT tape has also helped me.

+1 on seeing a PT (the jury is still out on KT tape though, but some of my triathlete friends swear by it.....)

• Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    I have no knee problems of my own, but work with more than a few clients (personal training) who suffer from them. As everyone else said, injuries, joint pain, and such can vary person to person so it is best to seek a professional consultation, but I would start with using the bikes, working on your core muscles, and practicing balancing exercises. Using a BOSU ball or balance board can help strengthen the muscles that stabilize the knees (as well as working core muscles).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Just remember low impact doesn't mean it won't give you problems and is right for you.

I played organized football into my early 30's and took thousands of hits to my knees. Now I deal with a joint disease that effects them as well.

Cycling aggravates my knees 100x more than running.

An assessment by someone who deals with sport injuries is your best bet. I had a general practice dr trying to give me advice and I literally ended up walking with a cane through his advice. I imagine this forum isn't the best route you can travel either. Go get a qualified opinion.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    betharin wrote: »
    My suggestion is to see a physical therapist to learn what exercises you can do to strengthen your leg muscles to support your knees.

This

Knee issues can be very complex and varied. Cycling and rowing can exacerbate some knee related injuries, so without a good knowledge of what the actual problem is most of these suggestions are copletely meaningless.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the PT. I asked my doctor for a referral after I developed runner's knee this summer. My PT told me I had weak, tight hip muscles, and gave me exercises to strengthen those. Knees are still giving me problems, so I'm doing my best to be more consistent with those exercises.