Being Flexible - the social aspects of this lifestyle

Options
Consistency with exercise no problem

Consistency with the food portion of the plan - BIG PROBLEM

Send tips for the food part of the plan. Christmas parties, Advent services that include soup and sandwiches, the weekend got too busy to go grocery shopping so no food in the house means running for fast food at lunch time.

What's your food strategy for staying on track? 1, 2, 3....Go...... (especially during the holidays)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I enjoy all things in moderation. My diet (noun) is very healthful...I'd say 80-90%. I really don't do a lot of hand wringing over that 10-20% that might not be so great.

going out and enjoying a holiday party with so not so healthful options doesn't undo all of the other nutrition, etc earlier in the day/week/month/whatever.

Also, self control/portion control...just because there's a plate of cookies out doesn't mean I have to eat all the cookies. If I know I'm going to be in for quite the evening, it's likely that I will go lighter earlier in the day to compensate. Also, after an indulgent event, I naturally tend to go lighter the day after. I don't log...I just naturally tend to go lighter after I've had an indulgence or if I know I'm going to go wild and let it all hang out...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Fit those foods into your calorie goal. Exercise moderation. Get in some extra exercise, if possible.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    There's always time for grocery shopping. I've had to do it at 4am, but that sure as heck beats feeding my one year old mcnuggets at 8pm because I ran out of energy and hours. Social stuff, restaurants, parties...meh there's usually veggie platters, not everything is chocolate and cheese, even if I have some yummy rolls, egg nog, fudge, I don't beat myself up one bit. this is stuff at the party that I will enjoy and when I leave I leave it with them, not keep it in my fridge. so...
    1. make time to shop. make it.
    2. enjoy your time with family and friends. life is short
    3. don't accept leftovers to take home ;)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I go for weekly totals. Yesterday, for example I was out at a Christmas party and overindulged. Today, it is a "fast" day for me, eating hardly anything to make up for last night. I try to stay under my weekly limit and don't care about daily fluctuations. Works for me very well.
    Stef.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Good planning, wanting to get to target more than the food on offer, exercise enough to burn calories to eat more but have more respect for calories v effort to burn.

It doesnt bother me becayse I know why im at a deficit and the results it will achieve. Christmas is coming, but im getting in extra exercise to give me a calorie war chest to deal with it.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My viewpoint: Holidays are about family, friends, and vacation activity (skiing, snowshoeing, or on a beach vacay = hiking, swimming) NOT about food.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    I go for weekly totals. Yesterday, for example I was out at a Christmas party and overindulged. Today, it is a "fast" day for me, eating hardly anything to make up for last night. I try to stay under my weekly limit and don't care about daily fluctuations. Works for me very well.
    Stef.

This doesn't work for me. If I overindulge one day, I can't fast the next or it puts me in a binge cycle. I've learned to just go back to my correct calories the next day and of course my workout.
    Also fasting the next day seems like punishment to me for overeating the day before.
    It took me a lot of years to rid myself of that mindset.
  • ChubbyMcFatpants
    ChubbyMcFatpants Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know life often intervenes, but I find it's helpful to plan ahead as much as possible. Over-prepare. Pretend the zombie apocalypse is coming and you will die of scurvy if you don't give your food pantry some serious forethought.

Always have portable snacks in your bag; it removes the uncertainty factor i.e. "But I don't know when I'll be able to eat if I don't eat now," and it puts you back in control of your menu. You don't have to eat something you don't want just because it's the only thing available, because you have a Fiber One bar in your bag (Oats and Chocolate, natch), and you can break that mother out whenever you want.

For sure you don't want to be pulling out your own food at a catered Christmas party, so my strategy there is to eat things one bite at a time. I grab one little cheese cube, one cocktail weenie, one melon ball, one of everything, basically. I still get a plateful of food, I still get to try everything I want to taste, and when I'm done, then I can decide what else I may want without an empty stomach and curiosity leading me astray.

What the folks above said is good advice too: if I know I'm going to the movies and I KNOW I'm getting the big popcorn for dinner, I'll eat very healthily the rest of the day, like minimal ranch dressing, no Danish. Just be sure that you do eat; better to go a little over on your count than to feel like passing out all day.

Last, give yourself a break. The only "diet" tip I've ever been able to take seriously is this: all is not lost if you decide to indulge. So you ate a Twinkie. You're okay. You're still worthy. You're still working hard. You're still an asskicker.

Anyway, good luck to all of you!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Go to the grocery store.

If you want to overeat at a gathering, do it. Enjoy it! You can re-lose whatever you gain. If you don't want to, just don't.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    Stef.

I do this - but not day to day. I had my office party today. I was 90 calories under goal for Monday through Wednesday. I'll be about 600 over today. But I won't try to be 600 under tomorrow; instead, I aim to be 170 under each day from Friday through Sunday. If I don't make that goal, it doesn't really matter; as long as I come close, I'm OK with that. I've lost 62 pounds so far, and I haven't gained anything back, so I know what works for me.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Instead of running for fast food, can you go to the grocery store and get a premade salad? Or run to a fast food place that isn't as calorie dense? I eat Subway occasionally, and the calorie content isn't horrible. I keep protein shakes in the fridge at my office so if I don't bring lunch, I just drink one of them. I've learned if I want to eat more on a specific day, I will run more. I ran on Thanksgiving day, and didn't freak out about my calories. I also accept that if I gain, I can lose it again. When I am on vacation I don't go totally bonkers eating all the things, but I am not going to beat myself up if my friends want to go to PF Changs and eat all the fried food.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »
    Consistency with exercise no problem

Consistency with the food portion of the plan - BIG PROBLEM

Send tips for the food part of the plan. Christmas parties, Advent services that include soup and sandwiches, the weekend got too busy to go grocery shopping so no food in the house means running for fast food at lunch time.

What's your food strategy for staying on track? 1, 2, 3....Go...... (especially during the holidays)

Most of that stuff you know about at least a day in advance I bet. Plan ahead as much as you can. Log in advance when you can.
    Keep portions small. Don't take seconds or third helpings.
    Say no thank you if you are not hungry or don't want to eat it.
    Keep a healthy snack with you. Don't skip meals.
    Go to the grocery store to get food before you do other things.
    Look up fast food place menus now so you have an idea what items off the menu will fit your plan for days when you might need to grab something. Make a list of items that are okay.
    Log what you eat.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »
    the weekend got too busy to go grocery shopping so no food in the house means running for fast food at lunch time
    Jennloella wrote: »
    There's always time for grocery shopping. I've had to do it at 4am, but that sure as heck beats feeding my one year old mcnuggets at 8pm because I ran out of energy and hours.
    I know life often intervenes, but I find it's helpful to plan ahead as much as possible. Over-prepare. Pretend the zombie apocalypse is coming and you will die of scurvy if you don't give your food pantry some serious forethought.

With online grocery shopping and grocery delivery services, I'm not sure how groceries cannot be shopped for, delivered and put away in the pantry even with all the holiday madness going on. I live in a rural area which means a 90 minute drive each way to the nearest grocery store so I've made it a habit to at least do my grocery list online, check out the specials at least and if I'm really stuck for time, order and pay for my groceries online.

Maybe you could try online grocery shopping? You may find that you can get it done with minimal hassle and it might even make your life easier in the long run!

Regarding get-togethers and gatherings, the idea mentioned above putting one of everything you want on your plate and eating it before deciding if you want more is fantastic. I will be doing this in future!

Finally, alcohol is probably one of the big not-so-hidden calorie traps - watch what you are drinking and try to space out your drinks with soft drinks or even better, water. I believe most official recommendations are to space your drinks with non-alcoholic beverages in between so its a win-win situation - less calories consumed, less of a hangover the next day and general feeling better-ness.

• Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I used to be so organized but since the kids went off to college and our office closed although I still have my job working from home now everything is different and I'm still working on getting this empty nest thing. Having hubby around 24/7 has its challenges to as much as we love each other. I go well for awhile with exercise and eating right then the kids will come home or my Dad will stop by and there goes the plan. This time I am trying to stay on track while learning to be flexible. Trying not to be obsessive. Thank you for all your suggestions and experience. Really like the idea of bringing the snack bar as an option. Thanks again...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    My viewpoint: Holidays are about family, friends, and vacation activity (skiing, snowshoeing, or on a beach vacay = hiking, swimming) NOT about food.

Vacations are about vacation activity. Holidays, though, are and always will be about food. At least in my family. It's not a proper Jewish holiday without lots and lots of food.

However, from now on, I just figure that they'll still be about food, just in smaller quantities.