cravings

Options
man, i get the CRAVINGS bad for food food food. what the heck do you eat that makes you feel satiated? something that feels naughty but ISN'T.

Replies

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    my go to sweet is a cup of greek 0% yougurt, 14g mini morsels, 7g sugarfree chocolate syrup, 12g pb2 mix together, kinda like cookie dough
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want, just fit it into your calorie goal.

• Shastabaldi
    Shastabaldi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    well, i'm trying to do low carb. i think this is the reason why i'm craving. i'd like to *seriously* try this ketosis thing, i really want it to work. but i guess i'm one of those people that DOES NOT GET FULL eating fat. i have no idea what people mean by that!!! they are nuts i think. i'd rather eat 2 giant bowls of salad than 2 fat bombs. :\
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Rather than fat, protein is going to make you feel fuller longer. Yes, you do need fat, but that shouldn't be the focus... though I can't comment with about Keto diets.

In my experience, the more strict you are, the more likely you are to binge or give up. That's why many people on MFP preach moderation of ALL foods. Sustainability is the key to success.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Since fiber is out, try protein.

I've never done low carb, high-fat. I'd lose it, having to skip my berries. They're the highlight of my food day.

Good luck!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Protein is a good suggestion and much better than fat per some research. Getting off of carbs (< 50 grams a day) took away my cravings for fast food that is mainly processed carbs that can give one his sugar fix for a short while.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I can't do low carb for this reason- I get CRAZY cravings when I do and in a few days of doing it I'll eat the entire house. Low carb isn't for everyone... if you're getting cravings I don't recommend it because it's probably unsustainable for you. The last thing you want is to binge eat and undo all your hard work! Instead of low carb, why not try about 100g a day or somewhere more at the moderate level.... include healthy carbs like oats, yogurt, fruit/veggies, etc... and you'll probably feel much more satisfied :)
  • annanaidoo
    annanaidoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been doing high protein/low carb on the Dukan diet for the past 1.5 years and initially the cravings were there. For me it was just about finding a replacement for that feeling! I have such a sweet tooth and i love desserts so I started looking into low carb ones!
    It's do-able but you will need to put time into finding what works for you! :smile:
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    I can't do low carb for this reason- I get CRAZY cravings when I do and in a few days of doing it I'll eat the entire house. Low carb isn't for everyone... if you're getting cravings I don't recommend it because it's probably unsustainable for you. The last thing you want is to binge eat and undo all your hard work! Instead of low carb, why not try about 100g a day or somewhere more at the moderate level.... include healthy carbs like oats, yogurt, fruit/veggies, etc... and you'll probably feel much more satisfied :)

kellyb28 no joke it is hard. I fought with if for 2 months before the cravings stopped for the most part. It came down did I want to give up sugar to prevent the high risk of cancer from Enbrel to manage my pain?

Feeding a carb addition with even 100 grams a day is still letting the monster win in my case. Carbs are just fine for some people I am sure. They just are not by friend.

In my case (to reduce joint and muscle pain) I needed to lose the carbs down to <50 g daily so I finally made it into a life or death decision and choose life. That is a trick I have used in my personal life for the past 50+ years. Paint a picture of the worse thing possible happening to one if they do or fail to do X. :)

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    well, i'm trying to do low carb. i think this is the reason why i'm craving. i'd like to *seriously* try this ketosis thing, i really want it to work. but i guess i'm one of those people that DOES NOT GET FULL eating fat. i have no idea what people mean by that!!! they are nuts i think. i'd rather eat 2 giant bowls of salad than 2 fat bombs. :\

So eat 2 bowls of salad then.... Losing weight successfully is all about finding out what works for you!
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yean, I like to eat chocolate cake very much. But you should try to get low carb, increase your protein intake level.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Nthing protein. To give you an idea of how effective it is, my eating has been disordered my entire life. I was totally ruled by food. If there was chocolate in the house I had no rest in my head at all until it was gone. Usually in my belly. I could eat and eat and eat and still want more. All I could think about was food some days. And then I went from eating about 40g of protein to more like 120g... and food stopped controlling me.

I have about 3 kilos of chocolate in the house, and I can have ONE SQUARE and be done. I can have 5 crisps and be done. In fact, none of the foods that used to trigger binges seem to have that effect any more.

Seriously. Protein.

And look for creative ways of having your cake and eating it too - protein bars, chick pea chocolate chip cookies, greek yoghurt with berries... There's usually a high protein way of attacking a craving that will satisfy you rather than make you crave more.
  • Shastabaldi
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »

your advice stuck in my head and so i'm back to calorie counting and eating what i want and for the first time in weeks i feel great! on track with calories, cravings and best of all, HUNGER! vegies and treats are my thing, i guess. :)
  • Shastabaldi
    Options

So eat 2 bowls of salad then.... Losing weight successfully is all about finding out what works for you!

you are so right! Thanks!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    It took about a month for my cravings to start going way when I got on low carb. More protein does cut hungry. I have to watch salted nuts now because of the salt taste. :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's interesting (seriously, I find people's various reactions to food really interesting). I don't do low carb, but it totally works for me to eat fat. The fat bomb things seem weird to me, like eating calories just to eat calories, but I'd try some cheese (not that stupid string cheese that is oddly popular, but any good cheese you like).

/judgy comments based on personal preference. ;-)

I'm not sure how it works for low carb, but I also find yogurt (full fat, say) quite filling.

But like others have said, if low carb isn't helping with the cravings, maybe it's not a good way to eat for you. Salad with a full fat dressing (or a vinegar and oil based one) might be okay on some kinds of low carb plans too, especially without carrots or tomatoes, the more sugary veggies. (But I clearly am not a low carb expert.)

Now I kind of want a salad, too.
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Cravings pass!!! Take a nap or go to sleep. If you're still craving it the next day, have a little but don't go crazy :) Hope this helped!!
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I dont get full unless I eat carbs! I'm also one of those people. Ketosis is BAD for your body and your brain. CARBOHYDRATES are important. Quest Cravings peanut butter cups are delicious and they have 20grams of protein in them >:)
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Throughout my weight loss journey, I've tweaked my macros like a couple hundred times. High fat & moderate protein, proved to be the worst for me, because I was never full, and I experienced the most cravings then. I require carbs for satiety. Then again, I eat a lot of whole grain carbs, so I'm not sure if the sources as to where you get your carbs from matter too. Ultimately, I've stuck with around 50% carbs, 35% protein, and 15% fat, and I find it works best for me. An advantage of also not restricting too much of a certain type of food, is that you won't need to stress over food preparation/choices that you have no/little control over, i.e. finding "low carb" or "low fat" food while on vacation, or in various social settings for example. Don't be afraid to play around with your macros to see what works best for you. Good luck, OP!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I generally eat toast with cottage cheese, avocado and tomato or a packet of crisps (potato chips) or good quality chocolate or an ice lolly (like a Fab or Solero)

sometimes carrot sticks and hummus or mackerel pate (homemade)

sometimes I grab a coffee or a glass of water

or porridge made with water