Hunger Pains or The New Normal?

Options
Hi there,

I've met my calorie goals for the last two days or come in just under the target. I am trying to make sure the food I eat is full of protein etc. so I stay full and yet I find myself hungry. Will my body eventually get used to functioning on less or am I truly not eating enough? I don't want to disrupt my progress by eating if this is something that is meant to become my new normal. I can push through if I know I'll stop feeling hungry soon.

Thanks.

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    In order to make even just an educated guess we need some information; your stats, the calories you consume, what you eat etc. Without it there is nothing of even moderate value that can be said.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal? Are you eating back exercise calories? (if you aren't so far, eat back at least 1/2 of them.) How much weight do you have to lose? All this would be helpful for people trying to help you figure out if you're not eating enough. :)

If you are eating at a reasonable deficit, not an excessive one, the hunger is very noticeable for the first 2-3 weeks and then you get used to the new amount of food. At least that's my experience and what I've heard many others say, too.

If you haven't encountered this excellent thread yet, I think you'll find reading it very helpful! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What did you set MFP to for weight loss …two pounds per week loss, one pound, half pound, etc….

what is your weight now and goal weight?

foods higher in fat will make you feel satiated ..eggs, butter, olive oil, etc….protein will help too …

you can always drink a glass of water when you get that hungry feeling…

part of the lifestyle change is distinguishing between real hunger and false hunger signals...
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading your profile correctly you only want to lose 11 lbs, you're eating ~1200 calories, and very little protein.

With so little to lose, you can't expect to lose more than 1/2 a lb a week, so I'd set your goal to that. You'll be able to eat a lot more food as a result, which should alleviate your hunger. Also get more protein in (protein helps keep you feeling full). I eat more protein for breakfast alone than you do in a whole entire day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The first week is hardest, hunger-wise. Eat fresh fruits and veggies. You can really fill up on those for very few calories. :)

Fiber is very filling. :)
  • 67mirunner
    Options
    I don't know if this is "appropriate" advice, but how about chewing some peppermint gum, drinking a big glass of water or coffee, or making a mug of no-calorie chicken broth to get you through those tough times?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hunger comes in waves. If you wait it out, it'll disappear in 20-30 minutes. There are millions of different ideas to try (drink water, do jumping Jack's, etc.) and they'll help, but so will just waiting. :)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading your profile correctly you only want to lose 11 lbs, you're eating ~1200 calories, and very little protein.

With so little to lose, you can't expect to lose more than 1/2 a lb a week, so I'd set your goal to that. You'll be able to eat a lot more food as a result, which should alleviate your hunger. Also get more protein in (protein helps keep you feeling full). I eat more protein for breakfast alone than you do in a whole entire day.

This.....
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    She deactivated
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    She deactivated

I guess that wasn't what she wanted to hear, lol. :/

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Fiber, fat, protein (hunger crushing combo)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    She deactivated

well that was quick...