Are all calories equal?

Options

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I am sure you are aware that 300 is more than 200. To me the toughest things with some of the foods you mention (pizza and cupcakes are probably the worst about this) is the possible variance. Maybe it had 150 calories, maybe 600... I eat some junk sometimes and when I do I err on the side of caution and say they are toward the high end of the calorie range.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Here is my input on the matter. I didn't read all of the replies so I apologise if this is repeated...

Say you have a choice between a hot pocket or a meal of chicken breast, broccoli, and brown rice (1 serving of each). Both of those choices equal about 320 calories. The hot pocket, however is loaded with fat, sodium, and carbs, whereas the healthy meal is full of nutrients and vitamins. So you see, it's not only about counting calories, it's about making the correct choices.

In my opinion, if you are aiming to lose weight and keep it off, you have to train yourself to no longer want those bad foods. Think about it. Think about all the negative effects those foods have had on you. On your body, your mind, your looks, your health. Is it REALLY worth it? To me, it is not. I am no longer allowing those bad foods to make me feel that way therefore I am eliminating them out of my diet. Theres a saying that goes "out of sight, out of mind." Apply that saying to food but change it up a little. "Out of mouth, out of mind." If you no longer eat those foods and choose healthy alternatives, your body will adjust to crave the healthy foods. Don't allow yourself to "cheat" either. Some people say it's ok, but really you are keeping that bad food familiar to you, therefore you are allowing your body to continue to crave it.

If pizza is your favorite meal, there are healthy ways to make it. Pizza hut, or Dominos, or Papa John's is not the way to go. Sorry to put that so bluntly, but it's the truth. Here's a good way to make a healthy pizza: find some low carb and cal tortillas. Spray a pan with some olive oil Pam. Put a little bit of pizza sauce and then add your fav veggies (onion, peppers, mushrooms). Sprinkle some low fat, low cal moz cheese then fold the tortilla in half making a semicircle. Once one side is nice and grilled, flip it over to grill the other side. These come out really delicious! I call them Pizzadillas (like quesadillas) =P

I am sure you can find better alternatives to cupcakes as well. Trust me, if you don't train yourself to make better choices you put yourself at a high risk for going back to your old ways and gaining back all that you lost. This has to be a LIFESTYLE change and not a temporary diet. Best of luck to you!

Scaring people off Hot Pockets and Domino's, if they love Hot Pockets and Domino's, are the best way in the universe to set them up for failure and binging.

If you look around on this site, the most successful and happiest people are often the ones who eat things like Hot Pockets, Domino's, ice cream, Pop Tarts, etc., regularly.

The important thing is to hit appropriate macro goals. Thinking of certain foods as inherently bad or unhealthy is flat-out wrong.

I'm sorry you see that my way is wrong, but it's the truth, reality, and fact. If people truly want to be successful in this, eliminating those things is the best way to go. Not the only way, but the best way. I'll be the first to admit that I love fast food and pizza, but I also know that if I want to change my diet for the better, there are healthier alternatives to those foods. You can have pizza, but there are healthier ways to make it. If burgers and fries are your weakness (it's one of mine) choose a turkey burger and sweet potato fries instead of McDonald's. I'm only advising to choose the healthier alternative.

Pretty sure if one would have to choose whether to listen to someone with a 60+ lb loss or someone with a 5 lb loss, the one with proven results is the way to go...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Here is my input on the matter. I didn't read all of the replies so I apologise if this is repeated...

Say you have a choice between a hot pocket or a meal of chicken breast, broccoli, and brown rice (1 serving of each). Both of those choices equal about 320 calories. The hot pocket, however is loaded with fat, sodium, and carbs, whereas the healthy meal is full of nutrients and vitamins. So you see, it's not only about counting calories, it's about making the correct choices.

In my opinion, if you are aiming to lose weight and keep it off, you have to train yourself to no longer want those bad foods. Think about it. Think about all the negative effects those foods have had on you. On your body, your mind, your looks, your health. Is it REALLY worth it? To me, it is not. I am no longer allowing those bad foods to make me feel that way therefore I am eliminating them out of my diet. Theres a saying that goes "out of sight, out of mind." Apply that saying to food but change it up a little. "Out of mouth, out of mind." If you no longer eat those foods and choose healthy alternatives, your body will adjust to crave the healthy foods. Don't allow yourself to "cheat" either. Some people say it's ok, but really you are keeping that bad food familiar to you, therefore you are allowing your body to continue to crave it.

If pizza is your favorite meal, there are healthy ways to make it. Pizza hut, or Dominos, or Papa John's is not the way to go. Sorry to put that so bluntly, but it's the truth. Here's a good way to make a healthy pizza: find some low carb and cal tortillas. Spray a pan with some olive oil Pam. Put a little bit of pizza sauce and then add your fav veggies (onion, peppers, mushrooms). Sprinkle some low fat, low cal moz cheese then fold the tortilla in half making a semicircle. Once one side is nice and grilled, flip it over to grill the other side. These come out really delicious! I call them Pizzadillas (like quesadillas) =P

I am sure you can find better alternatives to cupcakes as well. Trust me, if you don't train yourself to make better choices you put yourself at a high risk for going back to your old ways and gaining back all that you lost. This has to be a LIFESTYLE change and not a temporary diet. Best of luck to you!

Scaring people off Hot Pockets and Domino's, if they love Hot Pockets and Domino's, are the best way in the universe to set them up for failure and binging.

If you look around on this site, the most successful and happiest people are often the ones who eat things like Hot Pockets, Domino's, ice cream, Pop Tarts, etc., regularly.

The important thing is to hit appropriate macro goals. Thinking of certain foods as inherently bad or unhealthy is flat-out wrong.

I'm sorry you see that my way is wrong, but it's the truth, reality, and fact. If people truly want to be successful in this, eliminating those things is the best way to go. Not the only way, but the best way. I'll be the first to admit that I love fast food and pizza, but I also know that if I want to change my diet for the better, there are healthier alternatives to those foods. You can have pizza, but there are healthier ways to make it. If burgers and fries are your weakness (it's one of mine) choose a turkey burger and sweet potato fries instead of McDonald's. I'm only advising to choose the healthier alternative.

Fact? It's a fact that pizza and Hot Pockets and McDonald's are just "bad foods" and having them occasionally to "cheat" is just bad?

That's BS. Plain and simple. I eat food you would describe as "bad" pretty much every day of my life, and sometimes multiple times a day. And yet I'm in fantastic shape and around 150 lbs, 12% body fat after having been 210 lbs 40% body fat once upon a time.

There is nothing "bad" about Hot Pockets and pizza and burgers and tacos and ice cream if you can fit them into your daily macro goals.

Eliminating foods you love is the WORST way to go about this. Why do you think so many people regain weight? It's because they didn't make SUSTAINABLE changes. Simply telling yourself "I'll never eat a Quarter Pounder again" isn't sustainable. One day your resolve will fail, you will eat that Quarter Pounder, and you will feel like you've failed on one of your core goals. This is how people relapse.

The KEY is to eat the foods you love in healthy, sustainable ways. "Never" is not sustainable when you're talking about all the foods you love.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I did find that I don't lose weight if I eat double stuff Oreos every day :) Keep it in moderation and exercise portion control.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BTW, here are the terrible things pizza and ice cream and Taco Bell have done to my body:

6438378_2596.jpg

20130508_194740.jpg
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yes, but I did find that I don't lose weight if I eat double stuff Oreos every day :) Keep it in moderation and exercise portion control.

You might be surprised: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    BTW, here are the terrible things pizza and ice cream and Taco Bell have done to my body:

6438378_2596.jpg

20130508_194740.jpg
    I had to say it...super job man, you are an inspiration.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options

You might be surprised: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Awesome :) Every body is different. That wasn't my experience. When I switched my evening snack from a few double stuffs to popcorn with butter (same calories), I started losing more weight. That isn't to say that I won't partake in them. They just aren't an everyday thing.
  • slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    Options

BUMP
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Pretty sure if one would have to choose whether to listen to someone with a 60+ lb loss or someone with a 5 lb loss, the one with proven results is the way to go...

Just because I just started doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about. Again, I am advising to choose the healthier alternative. If you want a cupcake, I'm sure you can find a healthy recipe for cupcakes rather than buying some Little Debbie's. When I said to eliminate the bad things, what I meant was to eliminate the unhealthy alternative. Why would someone choose to keep craving those things when they have the opportunity to acquire cravings for healthier choices? I know everyone approaches things differently. There is more than one way to succeed. I guess I just find this way to be the best option for me, although it may not be the best for someone else...
  • shortie_sarah
    Options

6438378_2596.jpg

20130508_194740.jpg

I did not judge you for your choices, I only gave my opinion. You do not have to be so condescending about it...
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I did not judge you for your choices, I only gave my opinion. You do not have to be so condescending about it...

I've been known to bump heads with him before, and I even have to say that was not condescending.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Just because I just started doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about. Again, I am advising to choose the healthier alternative. If you want a cupcake, I'm sure you can find a healthy recipe for cupcakes rather than buying some Little Debbie's. When I said to eliminate the bad things, what I meant was to eliminate the unhealthy alternative. Why would someone choose to keep craving those things when they have the opportunity to acquire cravings for healthier choices? I know everyone approaches things differently. There is more than one way to succeed. I guess I just find this way to be the best option for me, although it may not be the best for someone else...

No, but your lack of experience is absolutely showing.

You say things like "Why would someone choose to keep craving those things" which makes no sense. You don't choose your cravings. And you don't need to "crave" something to enjoy it anyway.

And then you say "I find this to be the best option for me" while straight-up telling other people their way is wrong. While those people have not "just started" and have achieved fantastic results doing exactly what you say is bad and wrong.

Bottom line is that you are demonizing certain foods sets people up for failure and unhealthy eating habits. Furthermore, you are saying that it's a "fact" that the IIFYM method is wrong despite the droves of people who have had success that dwarfs your own in both longevity and body mass progress.

So, which is it? Have you just found the best option for yourself, or is your opinion "fact" and "reality"?
  • jonnythan
    Options

"I'm sorry you see that my way is wrong, but it's the truth, reality, and fact. If people truly want to be successful in this, eliminating those things is the best way to go."

Just sayin.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Back on Pi Day (3/14), one of my kids won a chocolate chip pecan pie at school. I am the only one at my house that really likes that sort of decadent dessert. I cut normal sized pieces, put them in in sandwich bags and tossed them in the deep freeze. My plan was to have them at milestones to celebrate, but the justification impulse kicked in and they didn't even last a month. I justified them by either planning to have one later and restricting myself the rest of the day or having one and making up for it the very next day; no exceptions. It did not have any ill effect on me; I still lost weight at a rate that is more than most people recommend and stayed healthy. Some of us work better this way. It is easier for me to deprive myself substantially most of the time and have what I want part of the time than it is to reprogram myself to never have some of those things again and eat regular servings of stuff I am not as excited about. Don't get me wrong - I have found some low calorie meals that I really do like and it isn't torture to eat the healthy stuff. But I still like some fatty meats and decadent desserts in the mix.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options

While advising to eat healthier is not wrong - stating categorically that the only way to be truly successful is in eliminating something IS wrong. As others have said, it sets people up for failure and it sets an unrealistic standard. As my favourite anesthesiologist likes to say "everything in moderation including moderation."

Should you opt for healthier ways to make things most of the time? Yes! Should you look at finding ways to reduce your cravings for 'junk' foods? Yes! Should you have more fruits, vegetables, and healthier foods? Absolutely! But you can also have a pizza sometimes. You can exercise more and keep your calories and macros where they should be and indulge in things that if you cut them out entirely would cause you to suddenly binge on them one day.

Hey, if cutting it out entirely works for you -- then awesome. Good for you and keep it up. It won't work for everyone, however, and it's been shown time and again that sort of 'dieting' doesn't integrate itself well into a full on lifestyle change, as it penalizes rather than encourages. The instant someone puts a twinkie in their mouth to satisfy a craving they're going to feel like a failure. Instead, they can put it in their mouth, log it, and realize they have to balance it out for the rest of the day -- and they can be a success who had a twinkie and didn't 'fall off the wagon' but instead kept to their lifestyle change.

I travel a lot. I have to eat out frequently. I also come home to 4 kids and a spouse who haven't been eating out and have been really wanting to do an evening at the Indian restaurant or a pizza. So I need to look at how to realistically navigate the real world without feeling deprived. I exercise more. I plan what I want and what it will do for my calorie count. I try to minimize the number of times per week I eat out because I do feel better when I'm doing more avocado-filled salads with sides of luscious raspberries. But, I am not a failure because I had a Wedge pizza while in the hotel last week.

To me, THIS is the best way because I'm not giving myself a bunch of extra emotional baggage with my eating. I'm allowing myself to recognize my cravings and deal with them, rather than ignoring them until they overwhelm me, which historically is what happens to people in my experience. It can be a long fall off that pedestal and it hurts when I hit the bottom.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

You weren't being condescended to. You were being contradicted. While they sometimes travel together, that was not the case here.

And you didn't just give an opinion. You can't say "this is a fact" and this is "the best way" and then claim you weren't attempting to speak with some authority.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: Are all calories equal?
    NO.

One calorie of splenda will turn to plastic in the microwave and into poprocks in your colon.
    One calorie of sugar will turn into crack in your nervous system and into cocaine in your brain.

From now on eat all your foods plain, dry, bland and tasteless. So you can live longer. Sad and depressed. But longer.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    One calorie of sugar will turn into crack in your nervous system and into cocaine in your brain.

Awesome. A kilo of sugar is way cheaper than a kilo of blow. I'm going to have a lot of spare cash on hand soon.
  • shortie_sarah
    Options

"I'm sorry you see that my way is wrong, but it's the truth, reality, and fact. If people truly want to be successful in this, eliminating those things is the best way to go."

Just sayin.

Yes, I said that but because keeping those foods familiar to you will keep you wanting them. That is what I meant when I said people choose to crave those things. Only because they keep it familiar to them. Look, this was not meant to become a debate. I gave my opinion and people can either take it or leave it. Like I have said, there is more than one to succeed. I only explained what I believe to be the best way, but again, that is just my opinion.

I applaud to all of those who have come so far and I can only hope that I will be just as successful. :smile: