Help

Options
Hi. This is my first post on here. I am really frustrated. I have been logging my food on the my fitness pal app. I have it set to lose up to 2 pds a week and listed as lightly active because I am a teacher. I always stay in my calories even sometimes alittle under (not to much under). I work out 5 days a week doing both cardio and weights. The last few weeks the scale has not moved at all. I do change what I do work out wise so I do not get to used to one thing. I have alot of weight to lose. I am trying to get healthier so I can start a family with my husband. I am getting super frustrated because I do not know what the problem is. I feel like I am doing everything right but nothing is happening. I am not sure what to do do. It is so discouraging. I need advice! I am thinking of changing my setting to sedentary. Maybe that will make a difference. I need help. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'd start looking at your logging before making any changes. Do you log everything into your diary? Do you weigh/measure your food? Do you eat all of your exercise calories back?
  • mckennasihde
    mckennasihde Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Malibu is right.. I bought a cheap scale and it makes all the difference!
  • jw7522
    Options
    I do not have a scale but I am pretty good about measuring out things. I will try to get one to make it better. If I am not completely sure I will over estimate the calories alittle to be safe. I do not always eat back all my exercise calories. It seems like if I did I would be eating alot. I start at 1820 for the day without exercise. After I exercise it sometimes puts me at like 2500+ which seems extremely high. Do you always eat all your exercise calories?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you're counting calories, you have to weigh and measure everything to get the most accurate estimates.

If you don't want to weigh every bite of food you take, drop your calories 100 per week until you begin losing.

For many people who start off really obese, the weight drops off very quickly the first month or two, then gets slower and slower. The more we lose, the harder it gets! I don't know how fat you are, so don't be offended when I say "really obese", lol. :)
  • jw7522
    Options
    I am not offended. I do have alot to lose. In 2007 I lost 70 pds. I was working out and doing weight watchers. I then gained it all and then some. I then did the low carb diet for awhile before my wedding and did lose with that but that is very difficult to stick with and I am trying to get healthy to start a family. Low carb is not the best diet to prepare for having a baby so I am trying to do it with calorie counting and just eating healthier foods. I haven't do much weighing because most of what I eat is prepackaged and I know the weight. Our oven is broken at the moment so unfortunately I have to rely on microwave or stove top. I use the 2oz packs of tune alot or chicken that is precooked that I can microwave. Steamable vegtables. I count everything out if it is a number like for example 6 grape tomotoes, etc. We are going to get the oven looked at over my winter break which is in two weeks but for now I have to work with what I have. I thought I was doing really well but then the scale doesn't move. I will try to scale for sure but I just need to see the scale start moving. I am already 33 and we want to start a family. I can't wait forever but I know I need to lose some weight before we start trying. Any suggestions are appreciated and I will definately try them.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would speak with your regular doctor. Just let him know - look man - im doing all of this and Im doing it with dedication and Im not really progressing the way I thought I would, doing it the healthy way. Maybe I am missing something. You know my history well enough and I would like your advice as to what I can do more of, or less of, that can help me get fit and start a family."

I am sure your doctor would be very happy to point you in the right direction.

Once you have the a ok and some focus from your doctor, it's a good idea to choose a program that lasts a couple months so that you can have some structure and support for your own workouts. It's harder to fall off track if the track is clearly visible.

Best of luck and don't give up hope! It's all worth it!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    jw7522 wrote: »
    I do not have a scale but I am pretty good about measuring out things. I will try to get one to make it better. If I am not completely sure I will over estimate the calories alittle to be safe. I do not always eat back all my exercise calories. It seems like if I did I would be eating alot. I start at 1820 for the day without exercise. After I exercise it sometimes puts me at like 2500+ which seems extremely high. Do you always eat all your exercise calories?

Typically MFP estimates calorie burns high as do the cardio equipment in the gym. You will find that most people eat back between 50-75% of their workout calories. Good luck to you!!

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    jw7522 wrote: »

Sometimes, but I also use a Fitbit, which tracks my activity throughout the day. If you follow the calories given by MFP or an exercise machine, you should only eat back 50-75% to account for overestimations.

Definitely purchase the food scale. Even using measuring cups are not accurate and will give you more food than intended.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just chipping in because this hasn't been mentioned yet - if you're working out regularly, you may be losing fat but gaining muscle. Which is great, because more muscle means more fat-burning capability. The scale may not be budging, but can you maybe see a difference in your clothes? I'm not losing much weight wise, but I pulled out lots of clothes yesterday that used to be pretty tight just a month ago and they either fit perfectly or loosely now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    Just chipping in because this hasn't been mentioned yet - if you're working out regularly, you may be losing fat but gaining muscle. Which is great, because more muscle means more fat-burning capability. The scale may not be budging, but can you maybe see a difference in your clothes? I'm not losing much weight wise, but I pulled out lots of clothes yesterday that used to be pretty tight just a month ago and they either fit perfectly or loosely now.

It's virtually impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, especially since the OP is aiming to lose two lbs a week. Since it's only been two weeks, there is a good chance that it's water weight or even getting closer to the TOM. It's best to look at things over a 4-6 week period before adjusting.

The bigger issue is the OP is not using a food scale. The average person under estimates calories by as much as 400+ calories when not using a scale. The second biggest issue is logging consistency. So if the OP can open her diary, we can evaluate that. And the third is over estimation of calories burned through exercise. Personally, I prefer the TDEE method since you eat the same goal daily.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »

no worries there, it takes like 100% effort for a girl to gain a half to a whole pound of muscle in a year of steady workouts, plus you have to be eating more than you need.

• jw7522
    Options
    I am definately going to be getting a food scale but I am pretty sure most of my food is accurate because it comes in packages. Like the small tuna package or chicken that comes in a bag precooked that is 6 oz. Pretty much been eating that type of stuff since our oven is broken. Then things like yogurt or a bananna, etc. Don't eat alot of stuff that I can underestimate because it is already packaged out. I am hoping to get my oven fixed soon and then definately will need to measure because I don't want to by the precooked stuff anymore. I do put everything in. My husband even gets annoyed because we will be eating and I already have my phone out putting food in or scanning the package. What is the TDEE method?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You must also weigh prepackaged foods. The printed weights are wrong at times. Yesterday my canned beans weighed much less than the label said.
    Also you should weigh food rather than count out portion as the counted out portions don't match the weight stated on the label.
    Weghing everything accurately makes a tremendous difference.
    Also, I only eat 1/2 to 3/4 of my exercise calories back depending on my hunger level!
    Drink water/eat