Im in WHEY over my head!!!

Options
M00NPYE
M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
ok, just started NROLFW, I need a protein supplement, but I'm getting info from co-workers on "Undenatured" whey protein and say soy protein is not good? (these are sales guys also) Can someone simplify this for me please, and tell me as a woman that don't want to "bulk up" what to buy. please, and thank you.

Replies

• Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    Find one you can stand to drink (alot taste really bad) and drink up :)
    Soy isn't the best, try Normal whey unless your vegan or something. I LOVE the taste of Musashi N-Force :)
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    Soy isn't the best, try Normal whey unless your vegan or something. I LOVE the taste of Musashi N-Force :)

thanks, where can you buy it, how often do you drink it?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, but to confirm.... there is NO WAY for you to hit your protein goal for the day without supplementation, correct?

If so, i would say go with a hydrolyzed whey. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, dymatize, syntha 6, body fortress, whatever fits your macros and your budget. Protip- decide how you intend on consuming this protein BEFORE picking the flavor.

Are you going to mix it with water (maybe you'll be on the go), with milk (you'll always have access to milk?), with almond milk (you'll always have access to almond milk?), blended in a smoothie with each time, etc.

Nothing like THINKING that banana cream, coffee, toffee banana, strawberries n cream, oreo cookie, etc. will be AWESOME until all you have is water.

My suggestion... start off with chocolate. Kinda hard to mess that flavor up. Pretty good with any of the above.

Stay away from the soy protein. It has a lower BVI, increases estrogen, and if consumed in excessive amounts can be detremental to your thyroid.

forgot to mention; i prefer to order all of my stuff off of bodybuilding.com. They usually have better deals than retail stores, they give you free samples of other products, and if you spend enough you usually get to pick a free gift (shaker bottle, etc.).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why do you need one?

Most any whey or blended protein will be fine for most people. You can order them or get them from places like GNC and vitamin world. If you hvae any local fitness/lifting shops near you, they probably sell something.

To start, buy the smallest size you can. Some manufacturers make sample or single serving packets you can get to try something before buying 30+ servings of it.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the soy protein. It has a lower BVI, increases estrogen, and if consumed in excessive amounts can be detremental to your thyroid.

forgot to mention; i prefer to order all of my stuff off of bodybuilding.com. They usually have better deals than retail stores, they give you free samples of other products, and if you spend enough you usually get to pick a free gift (shaker bottle, etc.).
    I'd like to start using a protein shake after my lifting, but being a vegetarian (lacto-ovo so I still have eggs and dairy, but limited amounts), I don't know which ones to have. If we should stay away from soy protein, does anyone know some good vegetarian protein powders?
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    Why do you need one?

...b/c I'm lifting now and my NROL4W book said so... LOL. Honestly IDK, I'm really trying to eat more protein so maybe that is enough for me?? hold on I will make it my diary public...
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Why do you need one?

...b/c I'm lifting now and my NROL4W book said so... LOL. Honestly IDK, I'm really trying to eat more protein so maybe that is enough for me?? hold on I will make it my diary public...

You only need it if you aren't getting enough protein from food.

I looked through the last week or so of your diary adn you seem to be averaging about 90g of protein per day. That's reasonable, a little more certainly wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't say it's necessary.
  • Silver14
    Options

thanks, where can you buy it, how often do you drink it?

No prob :) Well I'm not sure what country your in, but I'm in australia and I get it from some coles/woolworths and Priceline always has it (its a pharmacy!). I drink 1-2 per day, depending in my cal/energy/hunger levels. Usually one for breakfast and sometimes after training. I also microwave it with egg, flax, cinnamon, water, sometimes oatbran, stevia etc all mixed. Microwaved for a minute with frozen berries, it's a microwave "cake". Or just me being to lazy to out them in a pan for pancakes, and I can use the micro at work in a cointainer works great :)
  • Silver14
    Options

I'd like to start using a protein shake after my lifting, but being a vegetarian (lacto-ovo so I still have eggs and dairy, but limited amounts), I don't know which ones to have. If we should stay away from soy protein, does anyone know some good vegetarian protein powders?

Normal protein powder doesn't contain meat... Hence it's vegetarian.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

If I'm not mistaken, whey is a dairy protein, so you should be fine with that.
  • crista_b
    Options
    Why do you need one?

I would suggest talking to a dietitian? People on here are going to give you a huge range for protein, and most of them have studies to back up their opinions, but you can find different studies saying anywhere from 70-200g per day. That's a huge range and hard to determine what's best for you.

Edited: I couldn't remember which had actual training and credentials between nutritionist or dietitian. It's the latter.
  • crista_b
    Options

Thanks for the reply, but protein supplements can contain animal products that I don't eat though (if it's taken from an animal by killing it). I was looking at protein bars in the store, and most of them contained "hydrolyzed collagen" (or something like that, I don't remember the exact ingredient name) which is from animals/animal skin, same for gelatin.

I'll probably just have to read the ingredients of anything if I want to try it.

Thanks
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Why do you need one?

I would suggest talking to a nutritionist? People on here are going to give you a huge range for protein, and most of them have studies to back up their opinions, but you can find different studies saying anywhere from 70-200g per day. That's a huge range and hard to determine what's best for you.

The range is different because the people are different. The advice is usually pretty consistent - 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is the general recommendation.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was drinking whey for a while and thought it was tasty (I drank the chocolate kind mixed in soy or almond milk) and made meeting my protein goal easy. I did put on some muscle, but did not bulk up. But it made me constipated so I went back to getting protein from food, which I have to think about more.

I didn't try soy protein powder but I did start eating dry roasted edamame to up my protein so I suppose I did switch whey for soy protein. A lot of men think eating soy will give them man boobs, but that's just nonsense. Do you know how many men in the world eat soy as a dietary staple? My husband eats dry roasted edamame a lot too and he hasn't grown boobs yet (though I'm not sure he wouldn't think it a good thing if he did)
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    Why do you need one?

You only need it if you aren't getting enough protein from food.

I looked through the last week or so of your diary adn you seem to be averaging about 90g of protein per day. That's reasonable, a little more certainly wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't say it's necessary.

thank you!! I was considering spending a bunch of $ on "undenatured" whey protein....
  • crista_b
    Options
    Why do you need one?

I would suggest talking to a nutritionist? People on here are going to give you a huge range for protein, and most of them have studies to back up their opinions, but you can find different studies saying anywhere from 70-200g per day. That's a huge range and hard to determine what's best for you.

The range is different because the people are different. The advice is usually pretty consistent - 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is the general recommendation.
    True. I've just seen a lot of ridiculous arguments in the forums over someone's intake. Someone will ask if they're getting enough (usually they're getting between 70-120g per day and/or in the 0.8-1g/lbLBM), and others just argue on for pages on end. :ohwell:
    I agree.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options

Thanks for the reply, but protein supplements can contain animal products that I don't eat though (if it's taken from an animal by killing it). I was looking at protein bars in the store, and most of them contained "hydrolyzed collagen" (or something like that, I don't remember the exact ingredient name) which is from animals/animal skin, same for gelatin.

I'll probably just have to read the ingredients of anything if I want to try it.

Thanks

Try Vega, it's a vegan brand.
  • crista_b
    Options

Thanks

Try Vega, it's a vegan brand.
    Thanks!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    True. I've just seen a lot of ridiculous arguments in the forums over someone's intake. Someone will ask if they're getting enough (usually they're getting between 70-120g per day and/or in the 0.8-1g/lbLBM), and others just argue on for pages on end. :ohwell:

Some people just like to argue, even if they don't really know what they are arguing.