healthy but former ED sufferer wants to get control, but not get out of control- reality check pics

lizhope1
lizhope1 Posts: 20 Member
Hi everyone.. I am a former ED sufferer, and over the years have let go and live a very healthy and free life. I eat paleoish but in any quantity I want basically. Through this, i found myself at my heaviest weight, 5'3" and 132 lbs. I think I'm a bit overweight and want to lose to 125 lbs and maintain. Please tell me honestly how much you'd lose if you were me... I'm a healthy person and a bit scared of getting out of hand, and though I think I'm fat most people tell me I look healthy now... It's hard cause i've never been this heavy in my life and i'm engaged and am a bit out of control and am slowly gaining. At the same time, I have never been healthier. In fact I had amenorrhea for years and had to gain to 120-122 to start cycling, but just kept gaining. Let me know your honest opinion. Do you think my goal of losing to 125 and maintaining is reasonable?

Thanks, xx,
Liz

q27d61ah5i6r.jpg

r136vc7irehk.jpg

efn7xqfjlbt3.jpg
t7xanc18df64.jpg

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I'm your height and would love to look like you! Of course it's all a matter of perspective, since I've been obese for years...

Anyway, I do think you look great. You're not "skinny" like a stick. You have little curves but you're certainly not "fat." For fear of triggering your ED, I wouldn't restrict calories...you mentioned that you don't want it to get out of hand. You don't say if you have an exercise routine. I'll bet if you started a weight lifting program you would gain strength and definition and subsequently feel better about your body. If you lose a pound or two in the process, great...if not, don't sweat it.

Please keep in mind that I'm not an expert and this is just my opinion.

Congrats on your engagement. :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I can't decide a weight for you - only you can. I will say I think you look incredible just as you are.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I think you look perfect. I would not change a thing. Why not try some lifting for body recomposition?
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    You are not overweight. You look to be right in the middle of the healthy range.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    You look like you are in a perfectly healthy range. Curvy but thin... No one wants to be a stick!
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I think you look perfect. I would not change a thing. Why not try some lifting for body recomposition?

I agree with this. But I also think 125 is a reasonable goal, if you know you won't go under that. Weight lifting will give you the look you're going for, and you'll probably end up weighing about the same.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I think you look great, but we're the same height and I looked and felt my absolute best at 130 on the dot. I think the question is, do you feel like you can lose weight in a controlled and healthy manner? What will you do if 125 becomes 120, 115 etc? Will you be able to reach out for help in that case? Just try to set up some safeguards for yourself, and maybe start with 130 as your goal. And I agree with others, try some weights to add tone to and subtract inches from your shape and you really might like that even better than just losing pounds.
  • you'll be surprised to know that since muscle weighs more than fat, if you start strength training you could stay the same weight but look smaller (and be smaller) and more defined, assuming you want to look smaller. Personally, i think you look amazing and as someone who also previously suffered from an ED I'd say tracking calories is dangerous and you should instead focus on a goal of fitness and maintain that healthy eating :)
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    edited December 2014
    i have had/sorta still have ED issues (mostly binge eating and bulimia with purging and over-exercising) for about 8 years now. also, as usually goes along with these things, i'm pretty sure i have some body dysmorphia issues. so i know your struggle.

i think you look absolutely fine right now, you are definitely not fat. but 125 lbs at 5' 3" would also be fine, as it is not underweight. if you are like me, you are at a good weight but maybe you're unhappy because you may still have some stubborn fatty/flabby areas (i can't tell from the pics, but just in case you do). i do agree that strength training will help reduce the look of flabbier areas and if you keep at a SMALL defecit (no more than .5lb loss per week, but i sometimes even try for just like a .3lb or .2lb loss since i have only about 5 - 9lb loss left to go. since you have only a 10lb loss i recommend the same for you as well) you will lose some fat and retain the muscle you are building via strength training. it will take a while, but going slowly is best for your body to grow, heal and adjust.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    I would date, flirt, etc., you in a heartbeat. Gotta remember keep the posts g-rated for the kiddies, hehe. o:)