Can I go below 1200 calories?

Options
I've read that's not safe, but I'm guessing that's more for someone with a higher caloric need? Mfp has had my calories at 1600 for a few weeks, and I'm beginning to suspect my maintenance is around 1300. With the exception of thanksgiving, I've eaten roughly 1300 everyday. The only time I've come close to 1600 is when I've purposely overestimated. So, at roughly 1300, plus exercise, I've still maintained. Is it ok to do 1100?

Replies

• Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What's your height/weight? Do you feel hungry at 1300? What rate are you losing at now?

It's best to lose at a slower rate and eat at a level you don't feel deprived, since this is meant to be a lifestyle not a diet. But if you're short and not very overweight now, and feel full at 1300, no one will FORCE you to stay there. But if you go to 1100 and feel hungry a lot or lose really rapidly, you may want to reconsider.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Before you decide that you cannot lose at 1200, get a physical. Make sure nothing is wrong with you (and "I feel fine!" doesn't mean nothing is wrong.)

Discuss your goal weight and daily with your doctor. Find out what foods you and shouldn't be eating.

Then, go forward with confidence and don't worry what the rest of the world thinks about it. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? I'm 5'4" and 124 pounds, and my observed maintenance level is around 1700. Unless you are hobbit-sized or have some medical extenuating circumstance, your maintenance isn't 1300.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    With visible neck muscles and collar bone, you can't be that overweight. Under 1200 is probably too aggressive unless you are under 5 feet or something like that. 1300 maintenance is something like 5 feet tall, 85 pounds, and sedentary.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am a little dubious of very low calorie counts being needed as a normal thing.

I am a short, middle-aged dieter with a history of yo-yo dieting and a tendency to hypothyroid.

My overall average caloric intake over the past 60-odd days is 1660, and I've lost close to sixteen pounds.

I will note two things: I do exercise most weekday mornings (I'm a swimmer and am training for open water distance events) and I do use a food scale to weigh my food, as well as being committed to being pretty ruthlessly honest about what I'm actually eating. EVERYTHING counts. Half n half in my coffee, butter I put on my veggies, olive oil I use to cook, tastes while cooking, Every. Damn. Grape. Oh, I want a little piece of candy from the Halloween... I have to record it.

While intestine-curdlingly tedious, it has shown me how damn easy it is to fool yourself about what you're actually eating, even someone who is really good at eyeballing portions and eats very little pre-packaged food.

Until you've done that, I wouldn't say you have enough data to know for sure that you need that little.

After you've done it, you won't have any doubts. But still see a doc. It may very well be treatable.

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This conversation has been exhausted here; use the search function and you will find more than enough information.

Short answer; sure.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You want to eat as much as you can will still losing weight, not as little as you can. I think 1300 for maintenance sounds really low.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Wait, so you're eating 1300 daily and you're burning for exercise as well but not losing? Chances are the 1300 isn't really 1300 or there's another issue. Because with exercise you'd already be below 1200 net. You should be losing. How are you tracking calories?
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 113 pounds, with a small frame. I can wear my 10 year old's clothes, and can't even gain weight on purpose. I just store fat. At 1300, that's eating when I'm hungry. I thought my diary was open. ...My daily intake has been inconsistent because I've been trying to get to 1600, and can't. I've never had a problem with overeating, just was not very active. I don't eat much junk food, but usually pick salty over sweet when I do.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Something is off here.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Again, can you open your diary? You're obviously eating more than you think.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 113 pounds, with a small frame. I can wear my 10 year old's clothes, and can't even gain weight on purpose. I just store fat. At 1300, that's eating when I'm hungry. I thought my diary was open. ...My daily intake has been inconsistent because I've been trying to get to 1600, and can't. I've never had a problem with overeating, just was not very active. I don't eat much junk food, but usually pick salty over sweet when I do.

I'm really confused now. If you're maintaining at 1300, and you only weigh 113, why would you cut your calories even more?

Drinking a glass or two of OJ, having an ice cream after dinner, or some fancy coffee drink from Starbucks can easily get you those 300 extra calories.

Try focusing on calorie dense foods (avocado, cottage cheese, full at dairy, etc) and maybe doing some strength training.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Wait I'm confused. Why would you want to go under 1200? I am not understanding what you are trying to accomplish here. You are wearing your 10 year old's clothes!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I am 5'2, 45 yrs old and at the moment weigh 113 pounds, my maintenance calories is around 2400-2600 calories, to lose weight, 1 pound a week, I did 1800-2000 calories.

OP you 30 yrs old, you mostly definitely should be eating more and your BMR is more then 1300 cals.. JS
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    I'm not necessarily trying to lose weight. Yes I'm tiny, but all of my fat sits on my belly. And, sorry, I forgot to factor in inches lost, and became more concerned with weight. In my long term goal, I don't care if I weigh 20 pounds more, as long as it's muscle. Or mostly. In reality, I don't own a scale, and when I went to the Dr yesterday, I think some part of me had expected to have lost weight, but I hadn't.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    I'm not necessarily trying to lose weight. Yes I'm tiny, but all of my fat sits on my belly. And, sorry, I forgot to factor in inches lost, and became more concerned with weight. In my long term goal, I don't care if I weigh 20 pounds more, as long as it's muscle. Or mostly. In reality, I don't own a scale, and when I went to the Dr yesterday, I think some part of me had expected to have lost weight, but I hadn't.
    Then maybe it is time for you to do a body recomposition.
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »

That's basically my goal. But calories and macros confuse me, because pretty much every calculator is different, so initially, that was going to be my question here. I do bodyweight work outs 3 times a week, yoga twice a week, and usually Leslie sansone on Saturday. Half hour to 40 mins each (recently) . And in the calorie counters I've been calling it light exercise.

• KylaDenay
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    KylaDenay wrote: »

That's basically my goal. But calories and macros confuse me, because pretty much every calculator is different, so initially, that was going to be my question here. I do bodyweight work outs 3 times a week, yoga twice a week, and usually Leslie sansone on Saturday. Half hour to 40 mins each (recently) . And in the calorie counters I've been calling it light exercise.

Go lift some heavy weights.
    This