Alterations for clothes

Hi,

I was talking to a co-worker and she said that her tailor can take in a pair of pants for only $10! I always thought it was much more expensive. What do you pay?

Also, can you alter a size US12 pants or skirt to a size US6?
Size US10 to aUS 6 or US4?

Are there any general words of knowledge you can pass on (like maybe skirts are altered well, but not pants). Also, what about dreses? Certain fabrics?

I have no clue. I have a ton of great pieces made from good fabrics sitting in a box.

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    I've read it's best to only resize two sizes either way.

I had a size 16 dress I wanted to see if I could take in...to a size 4. I would have had to have a completely new dress made out of that fabric and it wouldn't fit the same as I remember, so I had to send it on its way. :<
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    It really depends on the individual garment and its fabric and construction. You'll have to ask the tailor if you don't know enough about sewing to discern for yourself, unfortunately.

I've found it's only been worth it for me for a few designer dresses. Even my expensive jeans are no good because it's the legs as well as the waist which needs to be altered, and that gets pretty labour intensive and thus costs more. But for dresses I spent hundreds of dollars on and which only need to be taken in at the side seams and sometimes the darts, it's certainly worth it.

If you have a Chinatown area of your city, that's where I recommend you look for a tailor. Prices are more reasonable and the work is always very skilled. It's a lot cheaper and better than tailors in the mall or whatever.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    I'm not a great seamstress, but I think this gal is amazing: http://refashionista.net/

She makes new outfits out of horrible thrift store finds.