Asking a question for my friend: How to track exercise at work?

Options
My friend, who is going to start MFP soon (hopefully) works at UPS as a package handler. He can sometimes work for a total of 4-5 hours straight loading boxes into a trailer which can weigh up to 150lbs. He also has to move quickly because the boxes come down a long shoot and if he doesn't get them off the conveyor in time, a bell rings lol. Anyway, the issue is, he might be unable to either wear a HRM or use a tracking device like a Fitbit because they have a metal detector and for some reason he can't being metal in with him into work (probably for safety reasons).

He is going to ask if he can bring in an HRM, but just in case, does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions/story's?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a higher-activity setting at the beginning that would account for his day-to-day activities?

If he wants to track it as exercise, maybe do a portion of his day at calisthenics and a portion of his day at something in strength training. I personally think this is a good way to overestimate your burn.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your activity level already accounts for things you do every day, including work. As long as he's set to the proper activity level (active, I would assume), he shouldn't need to log it.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I would just pick the closest thing they have listed on the exercise database, and put the time in with that. From what I can see, I would think "Moving household items, boxes, upstairs" would be the closest thing to his job. I'm sure he burns more calories/hour than that since they're not figuring on super heavy boxes, but it would be better than nothing.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    TDEE would work best for him.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    OH! I didn't think about setting is active level higher! That is a good idea, and I will tell him about TDEE! Thanks guys!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    He needs to change his activity level to very active and not worry about logging it.