When you're sick . . .

Options
Okay, I've been sick for a week, which means that I haven't exercised in a week. For me, personally, exercise is the key to everything else working in my favor as far as weight loss goes. I am hoping to be able to get back to it on Monday. What do YOU do when you can't exercise for whatever reason? I've lost 71 pounds so far but I feel like I'm losing traction.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't going to do jack for you if you end up in the hospital. Focus on getting back on your feet then deal with getting back on your weight loss track.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Take a walk, stretch, meditate -- do something fitness-related to reinforce the idea that I do something physical on a regular basis, but that won't interfere with my ability to heal.
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been in the same boat. Sick with a cold for the past week (and so haven't worked out at all during that time). I've been focusing more on getting rested up and getting healthy as fast as possible in order to get back to it. That said, the motivation to become active again is proving to be a struggle!

Long way of saying, no great answer to offer but you are not alone!
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, i had 2 weeks off the gym because i had a chest infection, then i had 2 sessions back and am now off again with an even worse chest infection.
    I cant even walk around my house with out needing my asthma meds so the gym would kill me off.

all you can do is rest, and get back on it when ya well again and up to it.
    a break might do ya good anyway lol
  • wifeofonemomofthree
    Options
    Thank you all . . . AllTheNoms - sometimes it's just good to know that none of us is in this alone! If I have a motivation problem when I'm well enough to get back on the exercise track, then I'll be back on here for some more words of encouragement!
    mbaby86, I hope you get better soon!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I've been sick since last Friday too, I've been so antsy but I have just forced myself to rest and sleep. I am going back tonight and seeing what happens. Every time in the past I've gone back too soon I've only prolonged being sick.

I never have anything in the way of an appetite when I am ill, I've only had soup and orange juice for days.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    The best thing you can do is eat right, drink lots of liquids and get plenty of rest.

Personally, I don't worry about calories when sick; I am more concerned with trying to get the right foods to feel better.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    depends on level of sickness

a minor sniffle ill keep going, heavier cold ill stick to walks in the fresh air

chest infection, flu and the like ill rest up until i feel strong enough for a walk and work m way up from there
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I've been sick for about 8 days now.............yuck! I just cancelled my second appt with my trainer and I'm not happy about it but I know when I'm licked. I'm hoping to get back to the gym by Thurs or Friday for at least a light workout. Otherwise I'm mostly resting and getting some things done for Christmas, and of course working 5 days a week. Luckily we work from home so as soon as I finish my lunch I'm heading back to bed for a couple of hours.............thank God for my awesome husband who lets me get away with that! :D I've had more tea with honey in the last week than I've had in the previous 10 years.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is that if the symptoms are above the collarbone, I'll exercise. If I have a bad head cold or a mild case of the flu, but my lungs feel OK, I'll do something easy, like a slow bike ride or a jog. If I have a serious fever, or I'm coughing up nasty stuff, I'll kick back, drink lots of herbal tea, and wait until I'm better.

You don't lose much, if any, aerobic conditioning for at least two weeks. I'll have to take a week off of exercise after oral surgery next month, and while I'm not really happy about it, I would be even more unhappy if my sinus lift and dental implant don't work out.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've been sick for a week, which means that I haven't exercised in a week. For me, personally, exercise is the key to everything else working in my favor as far as weight loss goes. I am hoping to be able to get back to it on Monday. What do YOU do when you can't exercise for whatever reason? I've lost 71 pounds so far but I feel like I'm losing traction.

If I'm feeling up to it, I try to move around more those days, do things like go to the grocery store or house chores so that at least I'm not sedentary. If I'm feeling so sick that I'm lying in bed pretty much all day, I just try to eat a little less.

Don't stress over it. Just rest and focus on getting better.