Crazy ways to bust out of a plateau?

Options
So far, I've been losing weight / size consistently. I'm hoping to avoid the dreaded weightloss plateau. If I do find myself in one I have a few ideas I will try (one at a time):
  • Eat a little more than usual
  • Change exercise habit (workout in the morning vs. the evening or more HIIT vs. steady state cardio or do a completly different activity)
  • Try carb cycling
  • Change sleeping habits (sleep more)
  • Change up "diet" (eat completely different stuff than I have been eating, like higher fats, or even higher carbs).
Does anyone have other ideas they have heard of? Have they worked for you? Please describe your plateau (duration, etc.) and how the weight started coming off again.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Or you could just adjust calories eaten and loss rate to your new lower weight.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Or you could just adjust calories eaten and loss rate to your new lower weight.

Lol, of course that would be the first thing I do. I am referring to things that are not intuitive.

Thanks.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Introduce weight lifting into your routine might be something to consider if you're not already doing it. Cardio is only going to get you so far.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are actually not that common. That entails 6 weeks of consistency with eating and/or exercise and no weight movement. If one binged or had a "cheat" day during that time, it's NOT a plateau since consistency was broken.
    Stalls (which are under 6 weeks or less) happen often and it's usually an issue with calorie intake. Not always, but many who claim to have stalled forgot about something they may have eaten, lacked sleep, were under stress, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • astrose00
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Plateaus are actually not that common. That entails 6 weeks of consistency with eating and/or exercise and no weight movement. If one binged or had a "cheat" day during that time, it's NOT a plateau since consistency was broken.
    Stalls (which are under 6 weeks or less) happen often and it's usually an issue with calorie intake. Not always, but many who claim to have stalled forgot about something they may have eaten, lacked sleep, were under stress, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thanks. This makes sense. I suspect I would only have a problem with the sleep and stress since I am very tight when it comes to logging and measuring. Hopefully, I won't experience a stall or plateau.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Well, my latest "stall" was about a month, and it broke last night, on day 2 of just not feeling like going to the gym + eating over my calorie limit.

I have no idea if those 2 things had any effect, or it's coincidence, and I certainly didn't plan for it to happen.

Before that, I'd been continuing to exercise, increasing intensity, and was trying to stick to my calorie goal (though I usually ended up eating back a couple hundred from exercise :frowning:).

I believe in physics & biochemistry. As long as I burn more calories than I eat, I will lose weight.

51637601.png
  • astrose00
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Well, my latest "stall" was about a month, and it broke last night, on day 2 of just not feeling like going to the gym + eating over my calorie limit.

I have no idea if those 2 things had any effect, or it's coincidence, and I certainly didn't plan for it to happen.

Before that, I'd been continuing to exercise, increasing intensity, and was trying to stick to my calorie goal (though I usually ended up eating back a couple hundred from exercise :frowning:).

I believe in physics & biochemistry. As long as I burn more calories than I eat, I will lose weight.

51637601.png

I have a crazy cat that looks just like that!

I am very analytical and my mind works the same way. I think this should be very scientific but it's not when you look from in the weeds. I guess if I looked at my weight loss over the course of the last 3 months, it's averaged about what I expected based on my calories and exercise targets. The concept of stalls or plateaus just don't make sense to me, though. Not when they last longer than a week or two (assuming everything is in order: diet, exercise, sleep, etc.).
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 months in and haven't had a plateau yet. I've had stalls, but they have never been a mystery.. they have been when I've slacked up and eaten a bit more than I should. I tighten up on my intake and start dropping again.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The second last time my "stall" broke it was after ten days of enforced sedentary existence recovering from the flu. This recent "stall" broke after I bought a scale and started weighing myself daily. Duh. I don't get it.