Ball of the Foot pain: While running

Options
So I'm a newbie runner, working my way up to a 1/2 marathon in February. Right now I'm running 3-4 miles twice a week, and 5-6 on Sundays. To increase the Sunday runs gradually.

I am cleared medically, have good shoes as recommended by a reputable running store for strong arch support & pronation control. (Brooks Adrenalin GTS 15.)

Towards the end of my run I'm getting some soreness on the underside of my left foot. The 'ball' of the foot area. Discussed it recently at the running store - had not been assessed in a couple of years so thought it wouldn't hurt to do it again. (Got the same recommendation as before.) They suggested its from how I land, so I'm trying to put more impact into heel striking but changing how I land isn't so simple.

Any other thoughts? I do think its something that can get better with time and more practice. Tuesday it bothered me around the 2.5 mile mark, and last night closer to 3.5 miles. And some runs, its not as bad as others. When I slow down to a walk after finishing my run, it feels better.

This is all treadmill running so far, by the way. Have my first outdoor run in the morning: a 5k! Curious to see if I have the same issue then. Will probably skip my 'long' run Sunday to avoid back to back running days, and just walk for ~1.75 hrs.

Replies

• Amclean93
    Amclean93 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've done all the right things, just got to reinforce that "heel toe" running technique in your head as you go. Land on the hell first and then roll on to the ball of your foot. Hope that helps. Oh and maybe wear running socks ? Just another minor suggestion
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Will look into sock varieties. Right now have something for running (wicking, not cotton) but I could perhaps do better?
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You may find that the pain is less when running outdoors. Treadmill running can be harder on the body because the motion is so repetitive. I agree good socks can make a difference, as can a 2nd pair of shoes to rotate. Also, perhaps a different lacing pattern on the left foot would help?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Do you have high arches? My sister does and has to wear a special insert for it.
    Amclean93 wrote: »
    Sounds like you've done all the right things, just got to reinforce that "heel toe" running technique in your head as you go. Land on the hell first and then roll on to the ball of your foot. Hope that helps. Oh and maybe wear running socks ? Just another minor suggestion

You don't want to heel strike, you want to land mid-foot.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Had not thought of a different lacing option - easy enough to try. Alternating shoes is a good idea as well. Have asked for a 2nd pair for Christmas. I just bought the current ones 2-3 weeks ago so they're fresh. AND I'm not wearing them for day to day use. I do have high arches, and the Brooks Adrenaline seem to be the best for high arch & stability control.

Had never considered that treadmill running could be harder than outdoors.

Did the 5k this morning. In the rain! That wasn't so bad actually, once we got going. I did run for most of it. One thing about runing outside vs. treadmill: hills. There was a long steady incline approaching the 1/2 way point. Got about half up it and slowed to a walk. Then slowed to a walk here & there on the way back. BUT my finish time was 32:20!!! I'm running at 5.0mph on the treadmill. I think the route may have been a tad short, but not by much. I traced it using Google maps and it was at least 1.508 from start to midpoint. My feet were mostly fine. Did feel a little pressure on the ball of my foot, but not to the point of pain. But then again, I walked some.

Will definitely need to do more outdoor running. :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I would pay attention to any pains happening on just one side or during exercise - anything other than DOMS-type soreness on both sides after working out is a sign to be watchful - which you are :).

It might be an idea to do some stretching and strengthening of your feet, in case it's the beginning of something. Here's a program that might help:
    http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/PDFs/Rehab_Foot_and_Ankle_4.pdf

(Any time you have pain, stop, walk, and figure it out.)
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You could try a metatarsal pad in that shoe, it will add a little extra padding and help cushion it. It feels weird for a day or 2 but you soon get used to it and don't notice it all.
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I agree, stretch and strengthen your Achilles, it should also help